Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    xanthinealkaloid, thanks for the tips on getting rid of this buggy patch. It wouldn't update or remove for me in either Preware or Quick Install. Only thing is that Preware thinks it's still installed, and shows up in my list of patches that has an update available. Kind of annoying. Any helpful tips?
    Thanks very much for this patch. I finally got around to trying it, and I love it. I originally assumed it would just block those vendors chosen by the author; I was pleasantly surprised to find that you can add vendors of your choice.

Anyway, thanks.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I've received reports of users unable to remove Hide App Vendors.

I've discovered that this is, in fact, due to a problem with the patch that causes you to not be able to remove it once it's installed.

I've just submitted an updated version of this patch to dBsooner; hopefully it'll appear in the webos-patches feed eventually.

Until an updated version of that patch is published on the webos-patches feed (it'll be 1.3.5-13 or greater), DO NOT INSTALL "HIDE APP VENDORS".

How To Remove "Hide App Vendors"

1. Use the webOS Repair Utility to replace the following files:

Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/app/controllers/app-assistant.jsjsjs
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$search$-$assistant$.$js$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$search$/$search$-$appsummary$.$html$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$sources$.$json$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$stylesheets$/$appcatalog$.$css$
    2. Get a root shell prompt on the device. Run the following commands:

Code:
    (echo '#!/bin/sh';echo 'true') > /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.app-catalog-hide-app-vendors.prerm

rm /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.app-catalog-hide-app-vendors/app-catalog-hide-app-vendors.patch

mount -o remount,rw /

rm /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/app/controllers/hide-assistant.jsjsjs

$rm$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$model$/$hide$-$list$.$js$

$rm$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$hide$/$hide$-$scene$.$html$

$mount$ -$o$ $remount$,$ro$ /
    3. Remove the patch package using Preware.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.
    Last edited by dsevil; 02/16/2010 at 05:05 PM.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I also have a twitter feed and a web site.
    Thanks dsevil, this finally worked for me. I was able to remove the patch.
    Is there any chance we could get a preliminary copy to use through WOSQI?

This patch is one of my favs...Thanks!!

When the new version is posted, would we be able to simply update it using Preware, instead of uninstalling it using this method?
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aravenel View Post
    When the new version is posted, would we be able to simply update it using Preware, instead of uninstalling it using this method?
    The new version will be 1.3.5-13 (I'm guessing).
    Uninstalling or upgrading FROM THAT VERSION or any later version using Preware should work.

The current version is 1.3.5-12.
    You will have to uninstall THAT VERSION or any earlier version using this method.

Hope this makes sense.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    Is there any chance we could get a preliminary copy to use through WOSQI?
    http://webonastick.com/webos/dev/pat...rs-1.3.5.patch

For viewing:
    http://webonastick.com/webos/dev/pat....3.5.patch.txt

Dsevil, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
    What was the underlying issue causing errors on removal?

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post

1. Use the webOS Repair Utility to replace the following files:

Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/app/controllers/app-assistant.jsjsjs
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$search$-$assistant$.$js$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$search$/$search$-$appsummary$.$html$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$sources$.$json$
    /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$stylesheets$/$appcatalog$.$css$
    2. Get a root shell prompt on the device. Run the following commands:

Code:
    (echo '#!/bin/sh';echo 'true') > /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.app-catalog-hide-app-vendors.prerm

rm /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.app-catalog-hide-app-vendors/app-catalog-hide-app-vendors.patch

mount -o remount,rw /

rm /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/app/controllers/hide-assistant.jsjsjs

$rm$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$model$/$hide$-$list$.$js$

$rm$ /$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$hide$/$hide$-$scene$.$html$

$mount$ -$o$ $remount$,$ro$ /
    3. Remove the patch package using Preware.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.
    My problem is that the patch is showing as not installed in Preware (started with the update yesterday). I have no apps in the app catalog, but when I try to replace those files above, the Repair Utility tells me it can't find the files in WebOSDoctor. It is the most current doctor. Would I fix this by running EPR and then the Repair Utility with Override Compatibility off?
    I also ran into the problem of WebOS RU not being able to find the file, but I think it was because I had an extra space or linefeed at the end of the line. (I'd copied/pasted the line from post #63). When I deleted the space following the filename, the restore worked.
    I still get this error when I try to install the updated patch though webos QI:
    Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    PATCH INSTALLATION Wed Feb 17 19:12:06 PST 2010
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.patches.hide-app-vendors-135/hide-app-vendors-135.patch

----------------------------------
    Dry run patch attempt...
    patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/app/controllers/app-assistant.jsjsjs
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$hide$-$assistant$.$js$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$search$-$assistant$.$js$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$model$/$hide$-$list$.$js$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$hide$/$hide$-$scene$.$html$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$search$/$search$-$appsummary$.$html$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$index$-$default$.$html$
    $Reversed$ ($or$ $previously$ $applied$) $patch$ $detected$!  $Assume$ -$R$? [$n$] 
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $1$ $out$ $of$ $1$ $hunk$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$index$-$default$.$html$.$rej$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$sources$.$json$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$stylesheets$/$appcatalog$.$css$

$dry$ $run$ $failed$, $checking$ $if$ -$R$ $would$ $succeed$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$app$-$assistant$.$js$
    $Unreversed$ $patch$ $detected$!  $Ignore$ -$R$? [$n$] 
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $1$ $out$ $of$ $1$ $hunk$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$app$-$assistant$.$js$.$rej$
    $The$ $next$ $patch$, $when$ $reversed$, $would$ $delete$ $the$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$hide$-$assistant$.$js$,
    $which$ $does$ $not$ $exist$!  $Ignore$ -$R$? [$n$] 
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $1$ $out$ $of$ $1$ $hunk$ $ignored$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$search$-$assistant$.$js$
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $3$ $out$ $of$ $3$ $hunks$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$search$-$assistant$.$js$.$rej$
    $The$ $next$ $patch$, $when$ $reversed$, $would$ $delete$ $the$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$model$/$hide$-$list$.$js$,
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $The$ $next$ $patch$, $when$ $reversed$, $would$ $delete$ $the$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$hide$/$hide$-$scene$.$html$,
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$search$/$search$-$appsummary$.$html$
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $1$ $out$ $of$ $1$ $hunk$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$search$/$search$-$appsummary$.$html$.$rej$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$index$-$default$.$html$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$sources$.$json$
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $2$ $out$ $of$ $2$ $hunks$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$sources$.$json$.$rej$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$stylesheets$/$appcatalog$.$css$
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $1$ $out$ $of$ $1$ $hunk$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$stylesheets$/$appcatalog$.$css$.$rej$

$Installation$ $FAILED$!
    $Reversed$ ($or$ $previously$ $applied$) $patch$ $detected$!  $Assume$ -$R$? [$n$] 
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $1$ $out$ $of$ $1$ $hunk$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$index$-$default$.$html$.$rej$
    $ls$ -$R$ /$media$/$cryptofs$/$apps$/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$ca$.$canucksoftware$.$patches$.$hide$-$app$-$vendors$-$135$
    /$media$/$cryptofs$/$apps$/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$ca$.$canucksoftware$.$patches$.$hide$-$app$-$vendors$-$135$:
    $hide$-$app$-$vendors$-$135$.$patch$
    $package_list$
    *** $FAILED$ ***
    Somewhat random question--is it possible to paste the terminal commands into novaterm? When I try, nothing happens in novaterm, and am concerned that typing them out will create typos...
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    What was the underlying issue causing errors on removal?
    I was running diff with the -b and -w options to generate patches (I no longer do this). To my knowledge this has not been causing problems unless there is no newline at the end of the original file and the patch in question appends to that file, which was the case for the CSS file.

Quote Originally Posted by aravenel View Post
    Somewhat random question--is it possible to paste the terminal commands into novaterm? When I try, nothing happens in novaterm, and am concerned that typing them out will create typos...
    Open a DOS prompt (or better yet, use a superior terminal emulator like MinTTY) and type:

Code:
    novacom -t open tty://0
    You can then paste the commands in there.
    Last edited by dsevil; 02/17/2010 at 09:50 PM.

Oh and by the way, I also got an error when I tried to download version 1.3.5-23 from Preware
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I still get this error when I try to install the updated patch though webos QI:
    Are you trying to do this on a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Oh and by the way, I also got an error when I tried to download version 1.3.5-23 from Preware
    Same error (hunk 1 of 1 failed with appcatalog.css) as before?

If yes, that's the same problem I've been working on the past few days. THIS TIME, the patch file downloaded from the webos-patches feed is not exactly the same as the patch file I thought I submitted. I'm going to duck the issue, put my CSS additions somewhere in the middle, generate a patch based on that, and resubmit. EDIT: submitted.

If not, please post the error.

Are you trying to do this on a Mac?
    Nope

Same error (hunk 1 of 1 failed with appcatalog.css) as before?

If yes, that's the same problem I've been working on the past few days. THIS TIME, the patch file downloaded from the webos-patches feed is not exactly the same as the patch file I thought I submitted. I'm going to duck the issue, put my CSS additions somewhere in the middle, generate a patch based on that, and resubmit. EDIT: submitted.

If not, please post the error.
    Code:
    PATCH INSTALLATION Wed Feb 17 19:58:16 PST 2010
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.app-catalog-hide-app-vendors/app-catalog-hide-app-vendors.patch

Dry run patch attempt...
    patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps/app/controllers/app-assistant.jsjsjs
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$hide$-$assistant$.$js$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$model$/$hide$-$list$.$js$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$hide$/$hide$-$scene$.$html$
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.

$dry$ $run$ $failed$, $checking$ $if$ -$R$ $would$ $succeed$
    $patching$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$app$-$assistant$.$js$
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $1$ $out$ $of$ $1$ $hunk$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$app$-$assistant$.$js$.$rej$
    $The$ $next$ $patch$, $when$ $reversed$, $would$ $delete$ $the$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$hide$-$assistant$.$js$,
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $3$ $out$ $of$ $3$ $hunks$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$controllers$/$search$-$assistant$.$js$.$rej$
    $The$ $next$ $patch$, $when$ $reversed$, $would$ $delete$ $the$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$model$/$hide$-$list$.$js$,
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $The$ $next$ $patch$, $when$ $reversed$, $would$ $delete$ $the$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$hide$/$hide$-$scene$.$html$,
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $1$ $out$ $of$ $1$ $hunk$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$app$/$views$/$search$/$search$-$appsummary$.$html$.$rej$
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $2$ $out$ $of$ $2$ $hunks$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$sources$.$json$.$rej$
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $Skipping$ $patch$.
    $1$ $out$ $of$ $1$ $hunk$ $ignored$ -- $saving$ $rejects$ $to$ $file$ $usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$com$.$palm$.$app$.$findapps$/$stylesheets$/$appcatalog$.$css$.$rej$

$Installation$ $FAILED$!
    $Apply$ $anyway$? [$n$] 
    $ls$ -$R$ /$media$/$cryptofs$/$apps$/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$org$.$webosinternals$.$patches$.$app$-$catalog$-$hide$-$app$-$vendors$
    /$media$/$cryptofs$/$apps$/$usr$/$palm$/$applications$/$org$.$webosinternals$.$patches$.$app$-$catalog$-$hide$-$app$-$vendors$:
    $app$-$catalog$-$hide$-$app$-$vendors$.$patch$
    $package_list$
    *** $FAILED$ ***
    I was running diff with the -b and -w options to generate patches (I no longer do this). To my knowledge this has not been causing problems unless there is no newline at the end of the original file and the patch in question appends to that file, which was the case for the CSS file.
    Good pickup.

The patches portal regenerates all patches so going forward this type of thing shouldn't show up, but this patch most likely got into preware before we started regenerating patches (to ensure correct headers, format etc...)

But great find and thanks for the quick fix.

EDIT: come to think of it I think the regeneration is using -b, so we probably have to get that fixed.
    Last edited by egaudet; 02/17/2010 at 11:38 PM.

-Eric G

Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    1.3.5-25 should no longer have the bad -b generated patch and should not have any issues on removal.

-Eric G

Donate