Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Hello to all!

    I wonder if it is possible to create a patch that would make it possible to zoom (in the browser, maps, email, etc) by using a circle (Clockwise in/counterclowise out) gesture around the white button.

    I think that this would be a great step forward in making WebOS more useful for singlehanded navigation. I realize that the counterclockwise circle is currently used to go "back" but as this functionality is already there for the simpler right to left swipe, I wonder if this could be implemented.

    I am not a developer, just a user who noticed that I couldn't hold my coffee and zoom into a web page at the same time. I don't know if it is possible, but figured I could at least ask.

    Many thanks to all of those smarter than me who may attempt this. My search of this forum didn't find a similar patch or patch request, but I apologize in advance if I have duplicated something.

    nb
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    I realize that the counterclockwise circle is currently used to go "back"
    I just tried doing a counter-clockwise circle in the browser and it didn't go back. Am I missing something?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I just tried doing a counter-clockwise circle in the browser and it didn't go back. Am I missing something?
    It's a semi circle gesture. Try it from the top of the white button and do a semi circle to the bottom. It also works as forward if you do it on the clockwise side (I just learned that playing around with it to make sure i wasn't crazy).

    nb
  4. MaxLOL's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    It's a semi circle gesture. Try it from the top of the white button and do a semi circle to the bottom. It also works as forward if you do it on the clockwise side (I just learned that playing around with it to make sure i wasn't crazy).

    nb
    A regular back gesture take you back a page inside of the browser.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    A regular back gesture take you back a page inside of the browser.
    Yeah, the regular back gesture is what I always use. But I also can do I counter clockwise semi circle to go back. I thought if this is able to go back that maybe it could be used to zoom instead of duplicating functionality.

    nb
  6. #6  
    you know you can use pinch zooming. it can be done easy with one hand. this is better and faster than any circle.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    you know you can use pinch zooming. it can be done easy with one hand. this is better and faster than any circle.
    I know i can use pinch zooming, but I can't do it reliably with one hand while keeping a good grip on the Pre. I used to do this while holding on for dear life on the Bus or Metro while commuting to work. Trying to pinch zoom with one hand has caused a dropped Pre one time too many.

    nb
  8. #8  
    there is no such thing as a counter or clockwise gesture!!
  9. #9  
    wish there was tho. My friend was trying to zoom like this on my phone, and then I liked the idea. A future os might have a little more gestures in the gesture area right? Besides "advanced" what are there, 4? Yeah 4 that don't go up into the screen...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    I know i can use pinch zooming, but I can't do it reliably with one hand while keeping a good grip on the Pre. I used to do this while holding on for dear life on the Bus or Metro while commuting to work. Trying to pinch zoom with one hand has caused a dropped Pre one time too many.

    nb
    humm i ride the bus and don't have problems holding my pre. Not in the least bit. i hope you don't mean one hand as in the same hand holding is doing the zooming. somethings that may help you is the soft touchstone back and a screen protector. both will give you more grip. also since it's winter time get some stickier gloves. i got some from under armour with a little grip on the bottom and i can still use my touch screen
  11. #11  
    i think the best way to do the zooming would be back and forward gestures
    back would zoom out 1.00
    forward would zoom in 1.00
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    humm i ride the bus and don't have problems holding my pre. Not in the least bit. i hope you don't mean one hand as in the same hand holding is doing the zooming. somethings that may help you is the soft touchstone back and a screen protector. both will give you more grip. also since it's winter time get some stickier gloves. i got some from under armour with a little grip on the bottom and i can still use my touch screen
    Yes, I mean one hand can do the zooming and the holding.

    I would like to be able to zoom when I am holding onto the bus hand strap (or my coffee, or laptop bag or whatever) with the same hand that is holding the Pre. If you have ever used Opera on the HTC touch Pro, circling on the gesture area there gives a pretty good idea of what I mean.

    If there were zoom in and out buttons that would be great, but i thought there might be a way to do this with a gesture or patch. Nearly everything else about WebOS is good for single handed use, so the multi-touch zooming just seems a little inelegant.
    Last edited by biggnaa20; 12/16/2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: clarity
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406 View Post
    i think the best way to do the zooming would be back and forward gestures
    back would zoom out 1.00
    forward would zoom in 1.00
    Would you still be able to use those gestures for forward and back like they are now?

    nb
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406 View Post
    there is no such thing as a counter or clockwise gesture!!
    Maybe I am mistaken.

    the semi circle seems to work on my Pre, but perhaps it is just recognizing a very short back gesture and registers this before the rest of the circle.

    I wish I could show you a video of what I am doing so you could see it. Perhaps when I get home I can post something.

    But even if this gesture is a figment of my imagination, is it possible to use a gesture to zoom?

    nb
  15. #15  
    a semi circle is a (full)swipe as far as I know. You could get a patch to change that to zoom (me thinks) if you want to rely on the buttons for back and forth navigation. Or maybe a patch for zooming in and out with the up and down volume rocker
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    a semi circle is a (full)swipe as far as I know. You could get a patch to change that to zoom (me thinks) if you want to rely on the buttons for back and forth navigation. Or maybe a patch for zooming in and out with the up and down volume rocker
    Cool thoughts, I also read that the Centro could zoom in and out with the + and - keys. I haven't used the Centro, so I can't comment on that, but maybe that would be a possibility for some of the programs, but I think most of them start the search bar when you type in them.

    nb
  17. #17  
    When it come4s to one handed zooming, I simply hold my pre with my index finger going across the top of the screen and pulling my thumb up or down on the screen depending on if you want to move in or out. The index finger serves as the first point of contact on the phone, and the thumb the second. Pulling dwn is a finger open gesture (zoom out) and thumb up is pinch gesture (zoom in).

    Works for me FWIW

    --MGb

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions