Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by izkeepsitreal View Post
    Grant:

From my install I'm going to say the patch is %70 functional.

Sometimes it works and sometimes no...

From what I can tell the amount of time it takes to sync all the sub-folders is quite lengthy... almost as quick to check all individually .. (I have 7 sub-folders on Exchange and 1 POP account)

I've had instances where I click on the refresh button and it will spin for almost 2min then stop with no messages... if I try and click refresh again nothing will happen (icon will not rotate) If I close mail then re-open and try again it will work.

It's really hit/miss but more good then bad....

for future development is there a way to have the "Fav's" automatically check for new messages like the inbox??

Let me know if I can be of any other help

Bell 1.3.5.1
    Can you try it with fewer folders? With lots of folders syncing I have experienced login errors due to too many connections being made to the server (although in that case it usually pops up an error).

What happens if you sync, wait for the icon to stop rotating, then minimize (don't close) and re-maximize the email app? In testing Exchange folders sometimes did not update their read count until this was done (althought I thought I fixed that bug).

If you are technical enough, you can SSH into your Pre, edit the framework.json file for the email app to increase the log level (to 99) and then look at the system logs for sync messages.

Finally, I'm sure it is technically possible to check other folders automatically like the inbox too, but I suspect it would be more difficult than this patch - beyond my skills (also beyond my desires, as I don't need this functionality myself, but that's beside the point).
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGrant View Post
    Can you try it with fewer folders? With lots of folders syncing I have experienced login errors due to too many connections being made to the server (although in that case it usually pops up an error).

What happens if you sync, wait for the icon to stop rotating, then minimize (don't close) and re-maximize the email app? In testing Exchange folders sometimes did not update their read count until this was done (althought I thought I fixed that bug).

If you are technical enough, you can SSH into your Pre, edit the framework.json file for the email app to increase the log level (to 99) and then look at the system logs for sync messages.

Finally, I'm sure it is technically possible to check other folders automatically like the inbox too, but I suspect it would be more difficult than this patch - beyond my skills (also beyond my desires, as I don't need this functionality myself, but that's beside the point).
    I made it so I'm only sync'ing with 4 Sub folders - so far the issue with timeout/spinning refresh seems to be gone however this morning when refreshing Exchange said there was no messages - upon going into the sub folder 3 new mail messages appear.

Sync later in the morning and new messages were shown in the sub-folders (as it should be)

Later in the day email was syncing all well (no infinite spinning wheel) I manually refreshed all folders and there were no new messages, after clicking on the sub-folder and refreshing 1 new mail message came in...

I'm technical but do not have access to Exchange logs on the server side...

Let me know how I can better help with testing this ... This patch resolves in my eyes one of the largest mistakes/overlookings by Palm.

And as for future - perhaps someone who's reading this may pick up on the conversation and assist with future development

Regards,

Mike
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by izkeepsitreal View Post
    I made it so I'm only sync'ing with 4 Sub folders - so far the issue with timeout/spinning refresh seems to be gone however this morning when refreshing Exchange said there was no messages - upon going into the sub folder 3 new mail messages appear.

Sync later in the morning and new messages were shown in the sub-folders (as it should be)

Later in the day email was syncing all well (no infinite spinning wheel) I manually refreshed all folders and there were no new messages, after clicking on the sub-folder and refreshing 1 new mail message came in...

I'm technical but do not have access to Exchange logs on the server side...
    Thanks for the reply. Can you test whether the new mail number appears if you minimize (to card view) then re-maximize (to full screen) the email app? This probably requires that you know there are new emails in the folder...

Secondly, sorry, I didn't mean the Exchange logs - I meant the system log in the phone. If you SSH into the Pre, you can do 'tail -f /var/log/messages' or if you connect the USB cable I think you can use the palm-log command line app (if you have the SDK installed) to follow the logs for just the email app. In both cases you still need to get access to /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.email/framework.json in order to edit the loglevel (by default it is 0, set it to 99 - don't forget to set back to 0 afterwards).
    I updated the patch and it doesn't seem to be working for me either. Sometimes it does seem to pull in new mail in a few folders, but the unread message count does not change (even after minimizing & going back).

I can probably figure out how to ssh into the phone, but what login credentials do I need? Is there a default root login, or do I use something else?
  5.    #45  
    Username is root and there is no password. You need developer mode on and to have installed something like Dropbear or OpenSSH (e.g. from the Preware catalogue).
    Grant :

Just a heads up that yes there's still a bit of a bug/flaw when refreshing with folders - typically its working though but occasionally it will not update ..

I haven't had the time to ssh into the phone yet, so busy with Olympics on - hoping to get to that this week mon/tue so keep you posted.

Mike
    this patch is not working for WebOS 1.4
    I guess it would be best to wait for 1.4 patch before any further troubleshooting?

Mike
    Grant:

Let me know if/when you plan on updating for 1.4... I'll let you know how it goes

Mike
    Any updates on this? I found this thread after I updated to 1.4 so I did not try to download the patch. This is not exactly what I wanted for the email client in regards to imap subfolders but it may be close enough.
  11.    #51  
    Had few messages about this patch: yes, I do plan to update it for webOS 1.4, but don't have the time right at the moment due to moving to another country to start a new job!
    Forward to the update

With the 800mhZ patch this phone is almost what I expected it to be aside from this email issue
    mr Grant...excuse me....Doctor Grant..what country did you move to? and from?
    Here's an updated copy I've been using for 1.4.1 which seems to be working, but I only have POP & IMAP setup on my Pre(no EAS).

Nothing fancy here...I just updated the context headers.

Thanks, IMGrant, for creating this patch it's a really good one.

Attached Files Attached Files
    it appears to work well with my 2 IMAP accounts on Sprint 1.4.1.1
    does not sync my EAS account.
    I think we've got a winner here

Thanks for the updated file!!
    good work xan. any progress on making it work on EAS? or too complicated?
    Aww, should have read the thread first. I patched with a higher Fuzz factor, it worked too

Thanks for this great patch, now I love my Pre beyond anything.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Any further work on getting this to support EAS?
  20.    #60  
    I haven't been able to get it to work myself, I'm afraid.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast