Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    NOTE: Based on feedback in #webos-internals I turned this into a proper patch where you decide which vendors' apps you want to hide.

Hi.

As you may or may not be aware, there is a certain app vendor whose name rhymes with Blighthouse Labs polluting the App Catalog with krillions of "${CITY_NAME} ${SPORT_NAME} Fans" applications.

I would prefer to not have to waste my time trudging past turd after turd during my once-daily check of the App Catalog for new applications. Those applications hurt my feelings.

I developed a patch to make it a *little* easier:

I would ultimately like to actually just *hide* these spam apps, but that has proven to be nontrivial, so this will have to do for now.

A patch file for easy installation using webOS Quick Install:
    http://webonastick.com/webos/patches...se-1.3.1.patch

To look before downloading:
    http://webonastick.com/webos/patches....3.1.patch.txt

EDIT: icon courtesy www.wpclipart.com, found by googling "public domain turd image"
    Last edited by dsevil; 12/19/2009 at 12:04 PM.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

I also have a twitter feed and a web site.
    I would love this patch. I'm tired of Brighthouse Labs flooding the App Catalog with crap software.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    *grumble* Just spent the past couple hours trying a couple different methods...
    - display: none;
    - visibility: hidden; height: 1px;
    - hacking Weave.Services.ApplicationServer#searchForApplications to return a filtered list

all of which, of course, fail miserably. I want my 2 hours back.

If there's a *correct* way to hide specific elements in a List widget that doesn't cause blank items to show up or other errors to happen, I'd like to know.
    I maintain the Universal Search Command Line, Hide App Vendors, and Poor Man's Twitter Client patches; the palm-rsync utility; and the rot13 web-distributed app.

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post
    ...doesn't cause blank items to show up...
    To be honest I'd rather have lists of blank spots than see these ads (erm, apps), so not a complete loss if you (PLEASE for the love of god) release a "buggy" version.
    Hopefully when the app catalog comes out of beta and they have to pay 50 bucks per app that will smack them upside the head as there is no excuse for them not to condense all those into one app per sport. Part of me believes Palm should in force this the other part of me wants Palm to stay hands off.
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    To be honest I'd rather have lists of blank spots than see these ads (erm, apps), so not a complete loss if you (PLEASE for the love of god) release a "buggy" version.
    Even better:

A patch file for easy installation using webOS Quick Install:
    http://webonastick.com/webos/patches...se-1.3.1.patch

To look before downloading:
    http://webonastick.com/webos/patches....3.1.patch.txt

EDIT: icon courtesy www.wpclipart.com, found by googling "public domain turd image"

Last edited by dsevil; 12/14/2009 at 07:34 PM.

App Store Hall of Shame: Brighthouse Labs | Just Another iPhone Blog

Palm should ban this company.

Their intent is not on providing easy access or quality apps.
    Their intent is app spam which like any spam could have the potential of reaching a hefty revenue.

Based on their action and direction PALM should just get riod of them and the 200 apps they have released so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnove View Post
    Palm should ban this company.
    I can't stand the Brighthouse Labs crap either, and made a thread about it somewhere. But thinking about it some more, you can't just ban them from making apps either. I mean, you can either be more open than Apple and let everything on there, or you can be restrictive and ban developers like this.

Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways. Hopefully as mentioned, that fee will kick in soon enough that this will stop.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gnove View Post
    Their intent is not on providing easy access or quality apps.
    Their intent is app spam which like any spam could have the potential of reaching a hefty revenue.
    It is also (arguably) anticompetitive, because of its effect of "drowning out" other apps.

I could have sworn I submitted this to webos-patches on Monday night.

Haha that is my twitter avatar. twitter being turd etc.
    I would ultimately like to actually just *hide* these spam apps, but that has proven to be nontrivial, so this will have to do for now.
    I'm sure you tried this, but won't something like this work?

Code:
    .palm-row.turd {
        display: none;
    }
    or

Code:
    .palm-row.turd .palm-row-wrapper {
        display:none;
    }
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
    I'm sure you tried this, but won't something like this work?
    Scroll up and see post #3.

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Based on feedback in #webos-internals I've decided to create Hide App Vendors, a patch where you decide which vendors' apps you want to hide.