View Poll Results: Would you use Gesture Area + four keys on the Keyboard as a D-Pad?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I like moving the cursor with a D-Pad

53 84.13%
  • No, I prefer moving the cursor with Orange + Finger Slide

10 15.87%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, everyone knows you can slide the cursor around by holding down the Orange button and sliding across the screen. Like many others, I find this method to be clumsy and inaccurate.

What I would absolutely LOVE, LOVE to have is a patch for making four of the keys on the keyboard temporarily function as a D-Pad for moving the cursor around.

This is how I see it working:

In any text entry app or field, touching and holding the gesture area would activate four designated keys on the keyboard to function as a D-Pad. Hitting these keys would move the cursor one letter at a time left and right and one line at a time up and down. The four keys that make the most sense would be O, Backspace, comma and K.

I suggest these keys because they are the furthest to the right and would be easiest to "find" on a regular basis. W, D, Z, A would not work as Gesture Area + A is "select all" and a D-Pad on the right makes more sense.

Gesture Area + Backspace does still function as backspace so that functionality would need to be changed. If that's too complicated, then using I, L, M, J would be the next best D-Pad location - which would still be phenomenal, frankly.

The iphone is stuck with the screen-slide method because it has no buttons. But we do! So there is no reason we should have to give up our D-Pads.

Of course, I don't know how possible this is (I work in usability, not programming) but the patches I've seen and use are quite impressive and make me hopeful that implementing a patch such as this would be possible.

Thanks so much! Thoughts?
    Last edited by El Valluco; 12/10/2009 at 12:46 AM.
    id use it lol.
    Sounds great - i'd use it! Is there someone out there who could do such a thing?! I wish I could say I can but alas - me and programming don't go together!
    The concept is doable. It's how Classic works.
    It's a good idea. I suggest something more in the middle so you could do it with either hand. It also might be good to have some way to lock it so you could do it with one hand.
    i have a similar thread and i would love this. only having a backspace and the lack of a delete button is such a pain. i wanted orange + Backspace = Delete. you idea would def work for me.
    +1 although I would use R G C and D so that its more obvious because that's where the numbers are. This could also help with navigating a page. Google docs is tough, even with multi mod.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    although I would use R G C and D so that its more obvious because that's where the numbers are. This could also help with navigating a page. Google docs is tough, even with multi mod.
    This wouldn't work as Gesture + C is copy.

Really hope someone is up for the challenge on this one. Was using the Orange + slide method just a bit ago.. really love how just as you get the cursor close to where you want it, it'll just suddenly hop all the way to the end of your paragraph or to the beginning of the line above or below. Good times.

I would happily donate to the development of this patch.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    i wanted orange + Backspace = Delete. you idea would def work for me.
    This is also a great idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Valluco View Post
    This wouldn't work as Gesture + C is copy.
    true, could be F or @ then
  11. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I vote R D F G.

I also like the idea of a dpad, however as directional keys are not present by default in WebOS (bad idea btw), would it be possible to implement them without deep OS modification?
    i would love any combination...lol long as it worked...come on somebody!!!!!!!!!! can we get this patch??
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    You know what would be awesome it its stead. Similar to the virtual keyboard. Make a virtual D-Pad. Double click the gesture area on the left side and a virtual dpad opens up in text fields or browsers enabling the ability to go up down left right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smubeht View Post
    You know what would be awesome it its stead. Similar to the virtual keyboard. Make a virtual D-Pad. Double click the gesture area on the left side and a virtual dpad opens up in text fields or browsers enabling the ability to go up down left right.
    that would just end up confusing it..since gesture is all around the pearl
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    You mean the Pixi right? But still there is a right and left side. I dont think it would be confusing. And not everyone would have to install it. Just think it would be better for a thing like scrolling not to have to use 2 hands.
    nooo im just saying that if it cant be the same combination as the keyboard
    so it cant be a double tap. it would be nicer if the keyboard had an option to choose
    for dpad..that would be the better thing to do but lot harder probably
  17.    #17  
    Similar to the virtual keyboard. Make a virtual D-Pad.
    This could also be another patch. I'm mostly interested in being able to hit real-life buttons to make that cursor move.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    i have a similar thread and i would love this. only having a backspace and the lack of a delete button is such a pain. i wanted orange + Backspace = Delete. you idea would def work for me.
    This can be done by holding the SYM key or Shift Key and pressing the backspace key.
    It is the delete combo you were looking for.
    Last edited by byosphere; 12/15/2009 at 01:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by byosphere View Post
    This can be done by holding the SYM key or Shift Key and pressing the backspace key.
    It is the delete combo you were looking for.
    shiftkey+backspace is good
    but sym+backspace...thats a bad combination palm made
    should have been altkey+sym lol

edit: im being sarcastic altkey and sym wont work heheh x]
    You mean the Pixi right? But still there is a right and left side.
    no I think he means the center button. Iv suggested doing something on the right and left side of it, then realized that those are only really defined when swiping, otherwise its all one "gesture area tap" in the system, and it would be really hard to change that with a patch. Idk if it would be doable at all
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast