Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is a patch that enables the familiar swipe to delete gesture in the list of contacts in the same said app. You can use webOS Quick Install to apply it.

I basically looked how it was done by Palm in the contact details or edit view, I've tested it on the emulator with Google and Facebook contact accounts, but would appreciate some more testing before I submit it as a patch for Preware, please try it out and let me know how it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks for making this!

Here's a couple of things I noticed.

1. When I installed via WebOS quickinstall, it reset my phone..is this typical?
    2. My theme wallpaper disappeared and I had a black screen. I easily reinstalled the wallpaper theme.
    3. The delete works fine, and the confirm step is there as in the usual delete method.
    4. Can you make the delete command be an UNDO in the edit menu? Sometimes I hit the wrong contact because the contact entries line is a bit narrow and the deletion cannot be undone.

Otherwise..thanks!! Nice work. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    Thanks for making this!

Here's a couple of things I noticed.

2. My theme wallpaper disappeared and I had a black screen. I easily reinstalled the wallpaper theme.
    3. The delete works fine, and the confirm step is there as in the usual delete method.
    4. Can you make the delete command be an UNDO in the edit menu? Sometimes I hit the wrong contact because the contact entries line is a bit narrow and the deletion cannot be undone.

Otherwise..thanks!! Nice work. :-)

Let me say its about time this patch was created! thanks IMGrant.

1. thats completely normal in WOSQI
    2. must be some conflicting issue with your theme. Please post what theme you are using.
    4. I dont think thats possible, once you delete anything on the Pre its Gone so be careful. lol
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

4.    #4  
    That's normal, it's just restarting the UI, you'd have to restart manually when using Preware to see the changes.
    Not sure what caused that, I have changed my wallpaper but not used themes. I don't think it's my patch but it might be WOSQI - had you only just applied the theme/wallpaper?
    Not exactly sure what you mean by the delete command in the edit menu, but as 2sslow said, it would be difficult, a hefty re-write of the Contacts app I think, as there is no native undo to make use of like there is delete in this case, for example.
    That said, can you explain how you accidentally deleted a contact? I would've thought you'd always get a confirm prompt, either in the form of the delete and cancel buttons that are underneath a row when you swipe it away to delete, or as a popup alert.
    works great! Now, just add it to a feed for the rest of the gang here.
    NY Giants fan?

Check out my Facebook Group! - Big Blue (NY Giants) which just passed 11,000 members
    and newly formed Fan Page
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGrant View Post
    That's normal, it's just restarting the UI, you'd have to restart manually when using Preware to see the changes.

Not sure what caused that, I have changed my wallpaper but not used themes. I don't think it's my patch but it might be WOSQI - had you only just applied the theme/wallpaper?

Not exactly sure what you mean by the delete command in the edit menu, but as 2sslow said, it would be difficult, a hefty re-write of the Contacts app I think, as there is no native undo to make use of like there is delete in this case, for example.
    That said, can you explain how you accidentally deleted a contact? I would've thought you'd always get a confirm prompt, either in the form of the delete and cancel buttons that are underneath a row when you swipe it away to delete, or as a popup alert.
    First, thanks again for doing this awesome patch!!

I've had the Dolphins theme installed for a few months, and I have dozens of other patches installed, which have not caused that removal of the wallpaper. All the other theme elements [app icons, etc.] throughout the GUI remained intact.

Sorry for any funky wording regarding the UNDO question. I just was wondering if it were possible to patch an UNDO for a delete command into say, the Edit menu copy/paste drop down list for the Contacts program. Sounds like a major hurdle if possible, and not a patch of making existing coding accessible.

Yes, I boneheadedly deleted a contact I didn't intend, even with a confirm prompt.
    Thanks!!!!!! I was just thinking how nice this would be the other day. Works great so far.
  8.    #8  
    Yes, I boneheadedly deleted a contact I didn't intend, even with a confirm prompt.
    lol

Excellent news, thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll submit the patch for inclusion in the Preware feed shortly.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    What's the impact "sync" wise?
    Does it also delete Google & Exchange Contact?
    And what about a Facebook, LinkedIN & Yahoo contacts?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    What's the impact "sync" wise?
    Does it also delete Google & Exchange Contact?
    And what about a Facebook, LinkedIN & Yahoo contacts?
    What do you mean, impact sync-wise? I can't see that there would be any impact to the sync mechanism. IIRC, webOS syncs the contacts on a schedule, something like every 15 minutes. Might be wrong on that tho.

It's exactly the same ,mechanism behind the scenes as going into the contact's details/edit view and choosing 'delete' from the app menu - you can delete Google, Exchange and Palm Profile contacts, but not Facebook. I don't have LinkedIn or Yahoo so haven't tested (would appreciate if someone could), but I assume you can't delete LinkedIn in the same way as Facebook, but you can delete Yahoo.
  11.    #11  
    Just got round to trying my own patch (!) on my actual Pre, rather than the emulator, and I have to say the performance is disappointing - you can do the whole swipe before the Pre starts animating the list item! At least it still works as intended, but I sure hope the webOS UI speeds up some soon...
    I can't install this. With PreWare I get told IPKG error and with Quick Install it reports

4 out of 4 hunks failed. saving rejects to file
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rege0039 View Post
    I can't install this. With PreWare I get told IPKG error and with Quick Install it reports

4 out of 4 hunks failed. saving rejects to file
    With what version of webOS? And do you have any other Contacts patches installed?
    Webos 1.31 on GSM.

My contacts have now gone blank, they are there in messaging but if I start the contacts apps I just get a blank screen.

I don't have any other contact patches installed.

Any help with blank screen ?
  15.    #15  
    Webos 1.31 on GSM.

My contacts have now gone blank, they are there in messaging but if I start the contacts apps I just get a blank screen.

I don't have any other contact patches installed.

Any help with blank screen ?
    Even though it failed to install? That is odd. Have you tried rebooting since trying to install?
    Also try Emergency Patch Recovery.
    Yes I have re-booted.

Won't emergency patch recovery delete all my patches (I have 40 or so installed !) ?

Thanks
  17.    #17  
    Yes I have re-booted.

Won't emergency patch recovery delete all my patches (I have 40 or so installed !) ?

Thanks
    Yes it will. It's a bit of a last resort, but from a developer's point of view, it is really hard to debug something remotely when you don't know what else is going on. I test my patches on the emulator by themselves and on my Pre, which has other patches installed too, but probably not the same ones, you know.

Anyway, another option is to manually restore the original version of the file, which is at /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.contacts/app/controllers/list-assistant.jsjsjs

When the patch is installed, the previous/original version of the file is usually backed up to list-assistant.jsjsjs.$webosinternals$.$orig$ - $check$ $if$ $that$ $file$ $is$ $on$ $your$ $Pre$ $and$ $copy$ $it$ $over$ $list$-$assistant$.$js$. $You$'$ll$ $need$ $to$ $remount$ / $with$ $write$ $access$, $or$ $you$ $can$ $use$ $WebOS$ $Quick$ $Install$ $to$ $receive$ $the$ $file$ $and$ $then$ $send$ $it$ $back$ $to$ $the$ $device$ - $WOSQI$ $takes$ $care$ $of$ $writing$ $permissions$ $as$ $it$ $needs$ $as$ $far$ $as$ $I$ $know$.
    I have a list.assitant.jsjsjs.$orig$ ($0$ $bytes$) $and$ $a$ $list$.$assistant$.$js$.$webosinternals$.$orig$ ($8Kb$)

I presume I use the latter ? Not sure how to receive with WebOS Quick Install, any guidelines anywhere ?

thanks for help and quick response
  19.    #19  
    I have a list.assitant.jsjsjs.$orig$ ($0$ $bytes$) $and$ $a$ $list$.$assistant$.$js$.$webosinternals$.$orig$ ($8Kb$)

I presume I use the latter ? Not sure how to receive with WebOS Quick Install, any guidelines anywhere ?

thanks for help and quick response
    Ah, something has gone very wrong there then. list-assistant.jsjsjs $should$ $be$ $21$.$2$ $KB$. $I$ $have$ $attached$ $the$ $original$ $version$ $of$ $the$ $file$ ($from$ $webOS$ $1$.$3$.$1$).

To send files via WOSQI, choose 'Send File' from the Tools menu. It will ask you for the destination path to upload the file to (/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.contacts/app/controllers/) and give you a browse button to select the local file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Every time I try to send the file it seems to be OK, but when I look with internalz on the device it says the file length for list-assistant.jsjsjs $is$ $0kb$ - $even$ $though$ $I$ $know$ $it$ $is$ $22Kb$ !

Still got a blank contacts screen !

Ahaha

But thanks for your help, your fast responses are amazing !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast