webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch Request] GBP () Symbol rather than $
[Patch Request] GBP () Symbol rather than $
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By checkmate

Old 12/03/2009, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

I know most of you guy out there are from the US and so not having a sign on the keyboard probably isn't that much of an issue but for us GSM users in the UK it's annoying that the $ key doesn't automatically type a for us instead. It's time consuming having to go into the symbol list every time we want to type the price of something!

I'm not a programmer so I may be talking rubbish but I can't imagine that this would be too difficult - correct me if i'm wrong!

Is there someone out there who could write a patch for this, it would be very useful?!
icklepriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Ben_K
Old 12/03/2009, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Phones sold in the UK have the $ sign on the keyboard??? That's crazy...
samkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2009, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

^ Yeah it's very annoying! Even if they hadn't changed the symbol on the physical keyboard but changed it's output to '' it would be ok but atm we still just get '$'!

Last edited by icklepriest; 12/03/2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12/04/2009, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

After playing around with the keyboard, I noticed that hitting the Sym key, followed by the 'h' key brought up an abbreviated symbol pop-up for currencies. You may have known this, but this was new to me. So this is better than manually searching through the full symbols table.

But I noticed that the British pound symbol was third in the list - so you have to hit [Sym] [h] [h] [h] [Enter] instead of [Orange] [h] - 5 presses instead of 2.

I found a simple way of changing the order of the symbols - so that British pound comes first. This reduces the number of key presses to 3: [Sym] [h] [Enter]

I figure until someone figures out the actual keyboard mapping, this should be an improvement over the current situation.

This patch will only work for devices set to UK/English with the qwerty keyboard. I haven't tested this specific patch, but it did work for the US version. Use WebOS Quick Install to install it.
Attached Files
File Type: patch brit-pound-primary-spec-char.patch (1,022 Bytes, 22 views) Email Attachment
samkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2009, 10:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you samkin Sorry for the delay - life's been a bit mad recently!

It's a useful way of getting the symbol but if anyone out there could make it so that the $ key displays a for us UK users that'd be great
Old 12/15/2009, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Great request, I was about to suggest the same thing.

+1 to the patch request.
Ben_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Did this ever happen? I seem to remember a patch but can't find it now.
Jimbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

I haven't got a patch, but I have a file you can copy to your Pre, then use Intermalz to put it in the correct 2 folders. What this does is rearrange some of the SYM alternatives, one of which is the sign.

Just copy the attached file into both /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo2/submissions/112/resources/en/ and /usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/submissions/383/resources/en_gb/ folders on your Pre (these will overwrite what is already there so you may want to make a backup of the existing files) then do a luna reset.

After installation, to do the sign you now just hold SYM and tap H.

I've also added more smileys to SYM+K and rearranged the order of the Y and U ALT lists because I wanted [ and ] to be first alternatives.

NOTE: I have a Pre3 so I don't know if the folder destinations are exactly the same on older devices.
Attached Files
File Type: zip alternatechars_table.zip (822 Bytes, 2 views) Email Attachment
Thanked By: Jimbode
Old 11/28/2012, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Almost too embarrassed to say, but I can't believe i have had a Pre (1/2/3) phone since 2009 without knowing this keyboard shortcut.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just realised, Hold the SYM key, press h 3 times, on release of the SYM key a appears. I'll have a go at rearranging it so I only have to press h once hopefully.

Seems like the correct place for a Pre 2

Last edited by Jimbode; 11/28/2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: post install
Jimbode is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0