1.    #1  
    was just wondering if its possible to make a little indicator at the upper right corner of the messaging icon like the iphone has and even some notifications of different apps

I know that I'm not the only one that would love this then it would be easier to know if you have unread messages/emails if you forgotten that you swiped away a notification.

this shouldnt be that hard for a good developer so hope someone sees this
  2.    #2  
    is it realy no one that wants this? :O
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    bump. I think this patch would rock. Any developer think that this is possible?
    Follow me on Twitter: @jjshore
    Sounds like a quality idea.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Seems to me that this would be a very popular patch. I'd love to see it happen. Thanks for bringing up the idea!!
    Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but did anyone ever look into this? I'd love an icon for my e-mail for when I periodically clear a notification and forget about the new message until later.

Thanks!
    Can you make some screenshot and then with Paint, Photoshop or the likes add the counter how you'd like to see it? I might be able to have a look
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll post up a few screenshots of what I have in mind, in my head it's pretty similar to what iOS does now, with a superscript number in the top right of the app icon indicated the number of new messages (though I'd be happy if the icon indicated any new messages, such as with an "!").

Another idea would be to do something similar to Govnah, with the message indicator placed over the middle of the icon.

EDIT: Here is an admittedly pathetic MS Paint version of what I had in mind. Thanks for taking a look in any case!

Screen Cap.jpg
    Last edited by Red35th; 02/18/2012 at 03:47 PM.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$'$s$ $possible$, $but$ $I$ $won$'$t$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $look$ $into$ $it$ $until$ $I$'$ll$ $finish$ $the$ $webOS$ $scrollbars$ $project$.
    TouchPad Virtual Keyboard Patches
    webOS Scrollbars

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?
    It's definitely possible. MetaView wrote a patch that does exactly this for the E-Mail icon for 1.4.5.
    Oh, that would be a really great patch!
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    It's definitely possible. MetaView wrote a patch that does exactly this for the E-Mail icon for 1.4.5.
    Do you have a link or exact name somewhere? I tried to look for it in 1.4.5 feed of the patches, but cannot find it When I can look at the 1.4.5 patch it should be fairly straight forward to patch it to 2.x
    Thanks for the responses everyone! This would be an extremely useful patch, for me at least.
    This patch would be absolutely awesome, I've wanted badge notifications under webOS for ages. I get the feeling it may not be doable until the LunaSysMgr/Launcher source is opened though- 2.x changed the launcher from being a webapp to a compiled native app, which means we can't modify it.

I think Govnah does it by changing the icon.png in realtime, which is a bit hacky in comparison to it being a native API thing (aka iOS)
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    What about the calendar app? it changes its icon every day... Why not do this with the messaging app and email app? Ok, the calendar doesn't do it every second, but better than nothing...
    Quote Originally Posted by k4llle View Post
    What about the calendar app? it changes its icon every day... Why not do this with the messaging app and email app? Ok, the calendar doesn't do it every second, but better than nothing...
    This is what the e-mail patch mentioned above does
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Do you have a link or exact name somewhere? I tried to look for it in 1.4.5 feed of the patches, but cannot find it When I can look at the 1.4.5 patch it should be fairly straight forward to patch it to 2.x
    Here it is. I believe I modified it from the original version to use the /media/internal/.scrims directory. Everything else should be the way MetaView wrote it.
    Attached Files Attached Files