webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [patch] Reset Launcher to First/Middle Page
[patch] Reset Launcher to First/Middle Page

Old 11/30/2009, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Further to this earlier thread, I've tweaked the patch for forcing the launcher to always open on the first page and also created a new patch for setting the launcher to open to the middle page (calculated from the number of pages, obviously works best with an odd number). Obviously you can't install both, they are mutually incompatible.

Patches are attached for use in webOS Quick Install, or they are also available in Preware now.

WebOS Internals wiki pages are here:
Reset to First Page
Reset to Middle Page

Update Dec 5 '09: the patches now reset the scroll position of all pages themselves, the Reset Scroll Position patch is no longer needed. Apologies if anyone wanted the functionality of resetting the page without resetting the scroll position - you can get an old version of the patches from the wiki history.

Also now attached is an updated version of the Reset Scroll Position patch, this version is now compatible with the Wrap Pages patch.

Update Dec 23 '09: another update to fix compatibility with the Wrap Pages patch, especially if using more than 3 pages.

Last edited by IMGrant; 12/23/2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Another update to fix compatibility with Wrap Pages
anonymous97234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2009, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

does this conflict with reset launcher top? Or since it resets to the first page that patch should be obsolete (or uninstalled) if this is installed....?
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2009, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPre View Post
does this conflict with reset launcher top? Or since it resets to the first page that patch should be obsolete (or uninstalled) if this is installed....?
What is 'reset launcher top'? If you mean 'Reset Scroll Position', then no, they are compatible, and they do different things. Hopefully this explains it:

By default, the launcher re-opens exactly where you left it, on the same page and at the same scroll position.

These patches change the launcher behaviour so that when you open it, it opens to either first page, or the middle page, depending on which patch is applied. They do not change the scroll position - if you left the first page scrolled halfway down, for example, it will re-open in that state.

The Reset Scroll Position patch re-scrolls each page back up to the top upon changing pages. It doesn't do anything if you are not changing pages - i.e. you close and re-open the launcher (without one of these Reset to X Page patches installed, that is).

However, if you have both Reset Scroll Position and one of these Reset to X Page patches installed, then pages will be scrolled back to the top as you switch between them and when you close and open the launcher. I think this is the best behaviour, but I chose to write my patches in a compatible way, rather than duplicating the functionality of Reset Scroll Position.
Old 11/30/2009, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do they work with the "Wrap Pages" also?
geneziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2009, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneziz View Post
Do they work with the "Wrap Pages" also?
Yes, they do. Although the Reset Scroll Position patch is incompatible with Wrap Pages as far as I know.
Thanked By: robbskittles
Old 11/30/2009, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Brilliant. Perfect for those of us who "tier" our apps in the pages to sort them
nulall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2009, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGrant View Post
Yes, they do. Although the Reset Scroll Position patch is incompatible with Wrap Pages as far as I know.
Just updated the first post - now attached is a new version of Reset Scroll Position that does work with Wrap Pages.
Old 12/07/2009, 05:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Great job! I just discovered the Reset to First Page patch tonight at work. I had to come home and start reading this thread to realize I could install it along with Reset Scroll Position, which I have been using. Thanks.

I notice some differences in the speed of the launcher closing. Sometimes it "slides" back down like it comes up, and other times it snaps shut very quickly. I have also had one instance where it stopped momentarily, when only one row of icons were visible (on the way up).

It only seems to do this when I slide up from the gesture area. Tapping the launcher button in the launch bar (something I don't normally do) always produces a smooth slide both opening and closing.

Last edited by galavanter; 12/07/2009 at 05:51 AM.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2009, 05:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
I notice some differences in the speed of the launcher closing. Sometimes it "slides" back down like it comes up, and other times it snaps shut very quickly. I have also had one instance where it stopped momentarily, when only one row of icons were visible (on the way up).

It only seems to do this when I slide up from the gesture area. Tapping the launcher button in the launch bar (something I don't normally do) always produces a smooth slide both opening and closing.
Yes, I tried to minimize this, but I think it is unavoidable - when the Launcher is closing is when it is reset to the first page and also each page is rescrolled to the top. I did it here rather then when opening the Launcher because I thought it was more important to have a fast opening Launcher than a fast closing one.

Also, if you have more pages it might be slower - how many pages do you have? I must confess I only tested it with 3 on my actual Pre, I tested with more on the emulator, but that is naturally faster.

I'm not able to reproduce the difference between using the button and swiping to close, that is interesting. Again, please let me know how many pages you have.
Old 12/08/2009, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGrant View Post
- when the Launcher is closing is when it is reset to the first page and also each page is rescrolled to the top.
Thanks for explaining. This is not going to keep me from continuing to use the patches with pleasure. I just have the 3 pages although I do have the add/delete pages patch installed.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2009, 01:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hello,
I am trying to update this patch but I have received an IPKG error when trying to remove it. Has anyone else gotten an error?
lrivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2009, 05:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Does the IPKG error give you more details? Have you tried using the Emergency Patch Recovery patch (it will remove all patches)?

Failing that, if you don't have any other Launcher patches installed you could manually recover the original Launcher by copying the backup file that Preware creates - it will be in /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers, called launcher-assistant.js.webos-internals.orig if I remember correctly.
Old 12/23/2009, 08:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrivero View Post
Hello,
I am trying to update this patch but I have received an IPKG error when trying to remove it. Has anyone else gotten an error?
if your haveing an issue installing an update patch try opening preware then go into installed apps then patches installed then at the bottom unknown patches look in there for the name of patch that needs to be uninstalled . Sometimes when you get a patch off of the forums that has not made it to preware that's where you will find the patch to uninstall before the updated one comes out in preware.
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2009, 09:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

There is a bunch of info about the error. I also did the EPR What part are you looking for? I did install this patch from preware. Thank you for all your help!
Old 12/23/2009, 11:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
There is a bunch of info about the error. I also did the EPR What part are you looking for? I did install this patch from preware. Thank you for all your help!
I dunno, just post it here. Also, do you have any other Launcher patches installed?
Old 12/23/2009, 11:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quickie: have updated the patches again. This should fix problems people were seeing with Wrap Pages installed where it would not always reset to the correct page (especially if using more than 3 pages).
Old 12/24/2009, 12:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

IPKG Log Error
Confirm: user consent requested for pre-remove script execution
Unlock: Nothing interesting
Prerm: patching file usr/lip/luna/sustem/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launch-assistant.js.
Unreversed patch detected!Ignore-R?[n]
Apply anyway?[n]
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hung ignored--saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/launcher-assistant.js.rej
Failed
ErrorGenericMethodException:Failure during pre-remove script execution.

The only other launcher patch i have installed is 4x4 v3.

Thank you for your help
Old 12/24/2009, 01:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

Hi,

I am having trouble updating the patch. When I attempt to remove it, I receive the following IPKG Log error:

/var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.app-launcher-reset-to-first-page/app-launcher-reset-to-first-page.patch: No such file or directory
/var/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.app-launcher-reset-to-first-page.prerm: line 35:/var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.app-launcher-reset-to-first-page/app-launcher-reset-to-first-page.patch: no such file

I have performed an ERP as well as the webOSRepair utility. Both of these tools ran to completion just fine. The webOSRepair utility only found where I made the dev-mode icon visible.

I would prefer not to reset my device. Does anyone have any ideas? Or is this an issue with preware?

Thanks
gearysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2009, 06:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
The only other launcher patch i have installed is 4x4 v3.
I'm not entirely sure about the error you are receiving, perhaps you can remove the 4x4 patch and then try removing the reset to ... patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearysr View Post
/var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.app-launcher-reset-to-first-page/app-launcher-reset-to-first-page.patch: No such file or directory
/var/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.app-launcher-reset-to-first-page.prerm: line 35:/var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.app-launcher-reset-to-first-page/app-launcher-reset-to-first-page.patch: no such file

I have performed an ERP as well as the webOSRepair utility. Both of these tools ran to completion just fine. The webOSRepair utility only found where I made the dev-mode icon visible.
This would seem to suggest the patch has been removed, does it still show as being installed? Does it also still work as if it is still installed?
Old 12/24/2009, 06:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
o14

Quote:
Hello,
Yup, I'm getting this error too, my IPKG log says the same thing as well.
o14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
launcher, patch

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0