Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Wiki for those who don't know what this is:
    Patch webOS CPU Frequency or Voltage Scaling - WebOS Internals

This is for those torn between 500 and 600.
    Speed improvement is noticeable.
    Battery savings aren't amazing with phone radio on.

It's from the last patch in
    Tree for modifications in WebOS Internals - Gitorious
    I edited the 600000 to 550000.
    This isn't something new, but no one has put it up so I thought I would.

1. INSTALL
    2. RUN FOR A WHILE
    3. POST RESULTS

To Install:
    -Remove all other cpu scaling and Powersave Patches/Scripts
    -Reboot (Full not just Luna)
    -Download the attachment and drag it into WebOSQuickInstall
    -Install
    -WOSQI will reboot the phone
    |--As soon as it's at the home/lockscreen shut it down
    |--Pull the battery out
    |--Put the battery back
    |--Start the phone up and enjoy
    l--> These are overly paranoid safe measures that work.

This is not for troubleshooting. Just results. Post benchmarks, why you kept it, why you didn't, when you got the pre, etc. If you have problems remove the patch or doctor your phone.

Removal:

With Preware
    -In Preferences set "Fix Unknown Types" to Yes.
    -In Main Scene make sure everything is set to Yes.
    -Refresh feeds
    -Now go back and it should be the first patch under "List of Everything"
    -Repeat paranoid safe measures

With WebOSQuickInstall
    -Under "Tools" select Device Management
    -Find the patch and check the box
    -Click "Uninstall"
    -Repeat paranoid safe measures

WHY THIS DOES/DOES NOT WORK
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's clear that each individual phone will have it's own stability characteristics.

Here's why:

Palm buys chips in bulk from TI (the silicon vendor).

The silicon vendor tests those chips (which come off the fab with widely varying performance characteristics) and they are "binned" (put into different lots) according to frequency, power and other performance and functionality criteria during the testing of each individual chip (yes, each one is fully tested and characterised).

I would expect that since Palm is only running at 500MHz, they can probably buy the 500MHz "bin" instead of the "bin" which has been proven to run at 600MHz in testing. The "500MHz bin" of chips will come at a lower price than the "guaranteed 600MHz bin" of chips.

Now, there are often times when a good fabrication run will cause *all* chips from that wafer to be in the 600MHz range. If the silicon vendor runs out of "cheaper" 500MHz chips, they usually just sell the 600MHz chips at the lower "500 MHz price".

Supply and demand for the various frequencies from OEMs like Palm will also cause the number of chips in inventory stock for each frequency bin to vary from week to week.

So every Pre potentially has a different stability characteristic according to exactly which silicon wafer the processor was manufactured from, and even where on the wafer the particular die was situated (cause the performance characteristics can vary across the 400mm diameter wafer).

To try and draw some sort of stability conclusion based on the *miniscule* number of reports in these forums is simply futile. The only thing that is clear is that there are some people who are obviously having stability problems when running above Palm's design frequency (which, when you understand the binning process at the silicon vendor, is not surprising at all).

-- Rod
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by grynv; 12/04/2009 at 04:27 PM.
    do i need to reboot if i haven't installed any cpu things yet?
    I edited the original smartflex 600mhz patch to 550 and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. My phone is still noticeably more responsive compared with stock and I haven't taken as big of hit in regards to battery life with heavy usage.

I'm content with running my phone @ 550mhz since the droid runs at the same speed with the same processor. I understand there might be different revisions to the OMAP3430, but I'm willing to take the risk.

Overall, to a Smartflex 550mhz patch for the masses.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    How do you drag and drop this into WebOS Quick Install?
    When I drag and drop it into the big white square, nothing comes up.

Edit: nvm... had wrong version installed!?
    Anyway, it worked.
    Thanks OP!
    Last edited by Kedar; 11/29/2009 at 08:59 PM.
    thanks, gonna try it out!
    Thanks for posting this, just installed it and will post results later.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Any stability/performance issues as of yet? Thanks for doing this.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    someone put it in preware
    I just installed it, and everything went very smooth. I can't say I honestly see any blazing difference in speed. I'm sure it is slightly faster, but not enough that I would notice. It seems stable though, and video's play without any chop. I never did try the 600. It just wasn't worth the risk for me. I'm sure I will keep this patch on. Thank you for making it available to all of us... I'll report back if I run into any problems with it. Just as a side note, my Pre was one of the early ones built. I had read that the early ones had problems with these patches.
    Everything is running smooth so far !
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    My question is if it has shown the same issue of randomly being unresponsive. The 600 patch would cause the phone to be unresponsive for anything from a split second to a couple of seconds. I could live with it but it was annoying. Err IS annoying since I am still running the 600 patch But I would happily drop to the 550 if that issue is gone and the phone still seems noticeably responsive over all.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    So far so good.
    I do actually notice the speed improvement, I wasn't expecting much but it delivered. If you were irritated by the lag before I guess you could say this makes it tolerable. No benchmarks yet.

Battery savings. During school i had the radios off for the most part, i did some texting here and there, and at the end of the day had 83% left. I actually had 94% but I decided to show some people a Youtube video (about 7min total viewing on EvDO).

I just realized i didn't have it in the charger for roughly 2 1/2 hours and had the phone radio on, 96%.

*knock on wood!
    so you get no quick lags like stated above with the 600 patch?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I really wish both technologies (SmartReflex + Cpu Scaling) could work hand in hand. I have recently decided to switch to Cpu Scaling because it sounds "smarter."

Does anybody know why they can't work together? Besides the outcome of it crashing.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I didn't have any of the hesitation/freezing that some had with the SR600 patch, but uninstalled it anyway after reading some of the stuff about it.
    I've been using the SR500 patch and don't like it at all. It does give me frequent minor freeze-ups and hesitations.
    Going to give this a try.
    [Not on Preware yet? Installing via WoSQI. I guess I shouldn't skim... I see the directions only mention that. Just finished second reboot/battery replace.]
    Last edited by Trident; 11/30/2009 at 07:00 PM.
    because it crashes the phone lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    because it crashes the phone lol
    You stopped reading at the end of the question silly girl I want to know what causes the crash... what confilcts...
    i imagine they both edit the same files but in different ways so they are not compatible . thats just a guess. oh and im a very much a male person through and through !! lol my name is shane.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerpathic View Post
    You stopped reading at the end of the question silly girl I want to know what causes the crash... what confilcts...
    Patch webOS CPU Frequency or Voltage Scaling - WebOS Internals
    Installed easy as pie. So far (hasn't been very long, so no battery savings info) things really are noticeably faster and smoother. Not perfect, but definitely better. Video is good and my apps are loading/working faster. Thanks a million. I'll report again when I have battery info.

Edit: Ok, so I had pretty heavy usage for about six hours and it was at 64%: email, messaging, played a couple videos, web browsing, and several hours of music player remix. I don't know enough to know if this is a good result or not for everyone, but it is definitely a vast improvement for me.
    Last edited by Blaize; 12/01/2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Update Battery Life Info
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast