Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    It completely depends on the individual phone (mine is handling it well, so far), as Rod (the Wonder Kid -- yes, at 42) explained further back in the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's clear that each individual phone will have it's own stability characteristics.

Here's why:

Palm buys chips in bulk from TI (the silicon vendor).

The silicon vendor tests those chips (which come off the fab with widely varying performance characteristics) and they are "binned" (put into different lots) according to frequency, power and other performance and functionality criteria during the testing of each individual chip (yes, each one is fully tested and characterised).

I would expect that since Palm is only running at 500MHz, they can probably buy the 500MHz "bin" instead of the "bin" which has been proven to run at 600MHz in testing. The "500MHz bin" of chips will come at a lower price than the "guaranteed 600MHz bin" of chips.

Now, there are often times when a good fabrication run will cause *all* chips from that wafer to be in the 600MHz range. If the silicon vendor runs out of "cheaper" 500MHz chips, they usually just sell the 600MHz chips at the lower "500 MHz price".

Supply and demand for the various frequencies from OEMs like Palm will also cause the number of chips in inventory stock for each frequency bin to vary from week to week.

So every Pre potentially has a different stability characteristic according to exactly which silicon wafer the processor was manufactured from, and even where on the wafer the particular die was situated (cause the performance characteristics can vary across the 400mm diameter wafer).

To try and draw some sort of stability conclusion based on the *miniscule* number of reports in these forums is simply futile. The only thing that is clear is that there are some people who are obviously having stability problems when running above Palm's design frequency (which, when you understand the binning process at the silicon vendor, is not surprising at all).

-- Rod
    Last edited by Blaize; 12/03/2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Edit
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    So far I havent has any problems, and I've noticed a significant improvement in battery life. Yesterday before installing this patch my Pre went from 100% to 80% from 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM, and today from 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM my Pre went from 100% to 95%. During both of those time periods though I had the data off most of the time, but I kept the amount I used data and the amount data services were on fairly consistent between the two days
    ok. so if i try one of the patches and it doesnt work, how can i fix it? i dont want to perma brick my pre
    Oh, and there's still a noticeable speed increase with the patch installed even after having my Pre on for a while, it wasn't just a placebo effect caused just by rebooting
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ^confirmed

I put how to remove the patch at the bottom, i'll add it it i guess.

There's 2 ways:
    Go into preware and it should be the first patch in "List of Everything" by setting your preferences to "Fix Unknown"
    OR
    With webOS quick install got into 'device management' and find "dangerous-blahblah550" and click uninstall.

Then repeat the paranoid safe measures.

BTW, turning the phone radio off seems like the ultimate battery saver. Aside from shutting the whole phone off.
    Last edited by grynv; 12/04/2009 at 04:28 PM.
    Or if you want to test it out without installing the patch, check out this:
    Patch webOS CPU Frequency or Voltage Scaling - WebOS Internals

It shows you how to make the changes command line, so they won't stay after a reboot. Test it out, if there are issues, reboot and you are back to normal. If you like it, install the patch.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Been running fine for me.
    I've only had one reset where it hung on the bootscreen and I had to take out the battery to reset.
    First off, I want to thank "grynv" for posting this patch. I tried it and it seemed to work fine at first, but my pre must have one of the low budget chips, the patch would work fine when I had an app running for a short period of time, but if I had one open for any length of time the back of my phone would get hot and my screen would freeze. Regretfully I removed the 550 patch and reinstalled the SR 500 patch and this one has been working fine on my pre, better battery life when idle is much improved and with no freezes or reboots so far.
    When I drag the .patch file to the WOSQI box, it won't show up. How do I properly install it onto my phone?
    I have been using this patch for over a week now and can happily say this patch has given me no problems. However because of the increased battery usage this patch causes I must remove it. The other night while attending the Boxee Beta event I went through around 50% of battery in an hour after taking pictures and uploading a few photos to twitter and Facebook. That is a bit too much for me. Amazing work. If Palm ever improves the battery life on the device I hope to return to this patch.
    I replaced the 600 patch with this one because I was having the 3-4 second lockups every so often. Those are gone now with the 550 and everything is running great.

The only problem I seem to be having is when playing Youtube videos, webOS sometimes restarts Luna. I am not sure if it is the SR patch that is causing this problem.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The only problem I seem to be having is when playing Youtube videos, webOS sometimes restarts Luna. I am not sure if it is the SR patch that is causing this problem.
    Personally I had these issues with 1.3.1 before I did any of the CPU patches.
    Not to be a nag but could someone please tell me how to install this patch onto my phone using WOSQI?

Nevermind, I had WOSQI 2.6.
    Last edited by krnggangpe94; 12/09/2009 at 03:47 PM.
    I'm having trouble applying back the old Smartreflex patch, I think it's because /etc/event.d/powersave-smartreflex exists and the 550Mhz patch is nowhere to be found in my installed patches either. What do you suggest to return my device back to normal to go back to stock settings? Do I need to remove /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I'm having trouble applying back the old Smartreflex patch, I think it's because /etc/event.d/powersave-smartreflex exists and the 550Mhz patch is nowhere to be found in my installed patches either. What do you suggest to return my device back to normal to go back to stock settings? Do I need to remove /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed as well?
    This happened to me too. I tried to uninstall the 550Mhz patch, but it left those files there and when I check what speed its running at, it's still at 550Mhz. How do I remove the patch?
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I recently installed the SR 500 patch which did save some battery but didn't increase performance at all (nor should it have). I decided to see what the 550 patch could do in terms of performance so I modified the 500 patch through terminal so the changes I made would remain temporary in case something goes terribly.

I must admit that there is certainly an increase in speed when loading some apps but less of a difference with others. The SR 500 did help save a small amount of power while idle so I will have to see how the 550 stacks up against that. Has anyone noticed any significant difference in battery life between the 2 patches?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tsipa View Post
    I recently installed the SR 500 patch which did save some battery but didn't increase performance at all (nor should it have). I decided to see what the 550 patch could do in terms of performance so I modified the 500 patch through terminal so the changes I made would remain temporary in case something goes terribly.

I must admit that there is certainly an increase in speed when loading some apps but less of a difference with others. The SR 500 did help save a small amount of power while idle so I will have to see how the 550 stacks up against that. Has anyone noticed any significant difference in battery life between the 2 patches?
    Yep. I've used all the SR patches.
    Like you said, the biggest savings is when the device is idle- and the SR550 patch delivers here as well. There is a noticeable (but not huge) difference in speed. There is sometimes a very slight hesitation in some animations, but nothing like what I saw in the SR600 (where it would sometimes freeze for a few seconds).
    Quote Originally Posted by thomascoe View Post
    This happened to me too. I tried to uninstall the 550Mhz patch, but it left those files there and when I check what speed its running at, it's still at 550Mhz. How do I remove the patch?
    Had to manually remove the script it creates.
    You can do this via terminal. The file is under /etc/event.d and called powersave-smartreflex

This script is run every time the device boots to force it to 550Mhz, without it, it should boot like normal.
    can this patch be used on the pixi too?
    Quote Originally Posted by hiyo View Post
    can this patch be used on the pixi too?
    I don't think the CPU architecture supports Smartreflex.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast