Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing your post. I support your position 100%. I just meant to offer support for the fact that it didn't work for you 'cause I'm enjoying it. I'm sorry if it came across wrong.
    Actually, I didn't take it that way, but I wanted to be clear that I am supportive of everything here.

And I wanted to make sure everyone understood that I was not complaining.

I want to help, not hinder!

Actually, I just notice a message to a question I had about finding out how we can tell if this patch is actually working or not.

I missed that today.

I want to re-read the command that was given and try it out.

I'm not sure if I should try and and install the patch again and try out that command.

If it would help here in the development of this patch, I am perfectly willing to install it again and run the unix command that was provided to me, because of my original question.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by soccerpathic View Post
    I suppose you want said command...

Enter in linux command line of Quick Install or Terminal app:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    Ok I ran your command and I want to understand the information that was outputted to me.

If you read my latest posts, I did remove the patch because of issues, and that was before I noticed that you answered my question.

So I might install the patch again just to get the information from the output of that time_in_state command that you nicely provided to this Unix novice.

So here is what it output to me without the patch:

600000 0
    550000 710
    500000 242767
    250000 0
    125000 0

Can you descibe what I am seeing, what does each line mean, or how do I find out what they mean.

So again this is from a Pre that has had the patch taken off.

And I will install the patch again and run the command so we can see the difference.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

The numbers you posted list the available speeds on the left, and on the right, how long your CPU has been running at that speed.

The biggest number is at 500mHz... meaning, your phone is mostly at the default "palm prescribed" operating speed. Where it should be.

With the 550mHz SmartReflex patch, your scale of speeds would look more like this...

600000 0
    550000 242767
    500000 710
    250000 0
    125000 0

See the difference?

Running at 550mHz will increase speed, (CPU spinning faster) but it will also create more friction = higher internal temperature = less battery savings and possible more prone to damage.

Hope that all made sense. I tried
    Last edited by soccerpathic; 12/02/2009 at 03:01 PM.
    Rob, I'm glad to hear that. I have been told before that I don't always communicate the way I mean to, so I may be sensitive. I'm curious to know what the lines mean as well.

BTW my mom lives in Astoria; was there in May...wish I could afford to live there...miss my family, although I love Denver, too.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I can only live here because I took over my parents coop, which is where I grew up.

They moved to Florida, and the coop went private, so my father's investment of $3000 in 1957 is now worth about $350,000.

But that doesn't mean anything to me, I can't afford to live anywhere else, I pay very little maintenance or rent, I only pay $870 per month, free gas and electric.

So I am handy capped to not being able to move. I'm on limited income.

Anyway, sorry to others that I went off topic with this.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Ok, I put the patch back to be able to get the output information of that command, here is what I got from running:

600000 1
    550000 38013
    500000 300
    250000 0
    125000 0

So here is what that output is without the patch as I posted before:

600000 0
    550000 710
    500000 242767
    250000 0
    125000 0

Like I said, how do we read that information into something like a person like myself can make sense of that.

What does it all mean, or where do I we find out how to learn what it means!

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's clear that each individual phone will have it's own stability characteristics.

Here's why:

Palm buys chips in bulk from TI (the silicon vendor).

The silicon vendor tests those chips (which come off the fab with widely varying performance characteristics) and they are "binned" (put into different lots) according to frequency, power and other performance and functionality criteria during the testing of each individual chip (yes, each one is fully tested and characterised).

I would expect that since Palm is only running at 500MHz, they can probably buy the 500MHz "bin" instead of the "bin" which has been proven to run at 600MHz in testing. The "500MHz bin" of chips will come at a lower price than the "guaranteed 600MHz bin" of chips.

Now, there are often times when a good fabrication run will cause *all* chips from that wafer to be in the 600MHz range. If the silicon vendor runs out of "cheaper" 500MHz chips, they usually just sell the 600MHz chips at the lower "500 MHz price".

Supply and demand for the various frequencies from OEMs like Palm will also cause the number of chips in inventory stock for each frequency bin to vary from week to week.

So every Pre potentially has a different stability characteristic according to exactly which silicon wafer the processor was manufactured from, and even where on the wafer the particular die was situated (cause the performance characteristics can vary across the 400mm diameter wafer).

To try and draw some sort of stability conclusion based on the *miniscule* number of reports in these forums is simply futile. The only thing that is clear is that there are some people who are obviously having stability problems when running above Palm's design frequency (which, when you understand the binning process at the silicon vendor, is not surprising at all).

-- Rod
    That was really helpful, no one seemed to bother explaining it. Maybe i missed it in one of the 100 powersave threads.

So in other words we can't really do anything except hope for the best?
    Do you know if the date the Pres were manufactured has anything to do with this?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I'd prefer not to add it to Preware.
    1. i don't know how
    2. it isn't my patch
    3. it's unstable

Honestly none of the powersave patches should have been put on preware, I'm jaded now though, so there's no going back .
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    My question is if it has shown the same issue of randomly being unresponsive. The 600 patch would cause the phone to be unresponsive for anything from a split second to a couple of seconds. I could live with it but it was annoying. Err IS annoying since I am still running the 600 patch But I would happily drop to the 550 if that issue is gone and the phone still seems noticeably responsive over all.
    First week nothing of the sort.
    Yesterday and today I've had random lockups. around 4-6 of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Ok, I put the patch back to be able to get the output information of that command, here is what I got from running:

600000 1
    550000 38013
    500000 300
    250000 0
    125000 0

So here is what that output is without the patch as I posted before:

600000 0
    550000 710
    500000 242767
    250000 0
    125000 0

Like I said, how do we read that information into something like a person like myself can make sense of that.

What does it all mean, or where do I we find out how to learn what it means!

Thanks!

Rob
    What's wrong with post #43?
    Hi, I am using this patch, and I like it, but I have no idea how to remove it. Sorry if this has been answered but I didn't see that earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolforfood View Post
    Hi, I am using this patch, and I like it, but I have no idea how to remove it. Sorry if this has been answered but I didn't see that earlier.
    If you have webOS Quick Install you can remove patches with it. Just remember to put your phone in developer mode before you connect to your computer via USB, and select just charge.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Personally I've had lock ups without any of the CPU patches(most of the time it was caused by Youtube app playing video). I've tried the 500Mhz patch for a while without problems, and now trying this one out. So far no problems at all.

Oh and before I installed this one I removed the 500Mhz via WebOSQuickInstall but for some reason removing it that way doesn't remove the /etc/event.d/powersave-smartreflex entry so when I originally installed this patch WebOSQuickInstall barked at me with a popup about it already existing, but still patched the file.
    I installed this patch a few minutes ago and so far, everything's been great. I'm not sure about any battery life improvements yet, but I'll report back about that tomorrow.

I have noticed a pretty decent speed increase throughout WebOS, especially in the calendar app and videos app, although theres still a slight lag in the calendar app. As long as this patch doesn't do anything destructive to my Pre, I think I'll keep it.

Oh, and if it matters, I got my Pre as a replacement Pre a month or two ago, but I have no idea when it was made. I *think* it was refurbished, but I'm not sure. Would a refurbished Pre be more or less susceptible to one of these patches bricking it? Or is it really just all random?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grynv View Post
    Wiki for those who don't know what this is:
    Patch webOS CPU Frequency or Voltage Scaling - WebOS Internals

This is for those torn between 500 and 600.
    Speed improvement is noticeable.

It's from the last patch in
    Tree for modifications in WebOS Internals - Gitorious
    I edited the 600000 to 550000.
    This isn't something new, but no one has put it up so I thought I would.

1. INSTALL
    2. RUN FOR A WHILE
    3. POST RESULTS

To Install:
    -Remove all other cpu scaling and Powersave Patches/Scripts
    -Reboot (Full not just Luna)
    -Download the attachment and drag it into WebOSQuickInstall
    -Install
    -WOSQI will reboot the phone
    |--As soon as it's at the home/lockscreen shut it down
    |--Pull the battery out
    |--Put the battery back
    |--Start the phone up and enjoy
    l--> These are overly paranoid safe measures that work.

This is not for troubleshooting. Just results. Post benchmarks, why you kept it, why you didn't, when you got the pre, etc.

If you have problems remove the patch (it's in "Unknown" Installed Packages in Preware or use WOSQI) and reboot. If that doesn't solve it Doctor your phone.
    Newbie questions.

To create the patch files from the script text shown do you simply paste it into MS Word and save with a .patch extension? If you then load the file via WebOSQuickInstall do you need to specify a location for the patch to be installed or is that handled automatically? How do you later uninstall with WebOSQuickInstall?

Thanks.
    Use notepad and save as a .patch

Placement of patch is handled automatically.

Uninstalling requires unchecking a box under device management of Quick Install.
    Loaded this last night as a replacement to the 500 SR patch. Aside from one freeze-up, all is well. So far, little battery drain that I noticed.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerpathic View Post
    Use notepad and save as a .patch

Placement of patch is handled automatically.

Uninstalling requires unchecking a box under device management of Quick Install.
    Thanks.

In looking at the text of the scripts I notice some differences. Here is a script for 600Mhz CPU scaling.

1 // enable ondemand cpu powersaving option
    2 Index: /etc/event.d/powersave-cpu-scaling
    3 ===================================================================
    4 --- /dev/null
    5 +++ /etc/event.d/powersave-cpu-scaling
    6 @@ -0,0 +1,13 @@
    7 +# Enables cpu scaling
    8 +
    9 +start on stopped finish
    10 +stop on runlevel [!2]
    11 +
    12 +console none
    13 +
    14 +script
    15 + echo "600000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    16 + echo "250000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    17 + echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    18 + echo "30" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    19 +end script

What is the meaning of "+" sign before each line? Does that need to be in the text file or can it be ignored?

Can anybody explain the meaning of the commands at the beginning of the script?

4 --- /dev/null
    5 +++ /etc/event.d/powersave-cpu-scaling
    6 @@ -0,0 +1,13 @@
    7 +# Enables cpu scaling
    8 +
    9 +start on stopped finish
    10 +stop on runlevel [!2]
    11 +
    12 +console none
    13 +

Thanks.
    Installed the patch as instructed. Rebooted and phone ran great for two days. Battery life was improved a little. However, last night my phone froze and would not reboot after removing the battery etc. Sprint store could not get it to boot. They ordered me a new phone that I get Friday.

I personally would not recommend this patch unless you are die hard and can't live without a few extra minutes of battery life. It's just not worth it on a cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by duboisia View Post
    Installed the patch as instructed. Rebooted and phone ran great for two days. Battery life was improved a little. However, last night my phone froze and would not reboot after removing the battery etc. Sprint store could not get it to boot. They ordered me a new phone that I get Friday.

I personally would not recommend this patch unless you are die hard and can't live without a few extra minutes of battery life. It's just not worth it on a cell phone.
    now thats put me off installing the patch.. so both the 550mhz and the 600 mhz patches are unstable?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast