Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Is there not a way to set the patch to 575mhz?
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Is there not a way to set the patch to 575mhz?
    can't u just edit the patch like the OP did...so instead of 550000 you would just key in 575000....i just tried it...the patch went through. wish me luck
    I did that but didn't see that value when I typed in the
    cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    So, I have had a couple of odd freeze-ups today, although they cleared themselves. Also, not sure, but I think my battery is running hotter when I'm charging it...hope more people will let us know how it's working.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I'm going to try this and will let you know how it goes. Seems you need more people to test it out.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Hi again, one more question.

I just installed it, and was wondering what's the best way to tell if it's installed. I did not get any errors, and I followed the instructions to the letter, yes I even pulled the battery out.

If restarted OK.

But is there something I can do that will show me any improvement or even detriment?

Thanks

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Hi again, one more question.

I just installed it, and was wondering what's the best way to tell if it's installed. I did not get any errors, and I followed the instructions to the letter, yes I even pulled the battery out.

If restarted OK.

But is there something I can do that will show me any improvement or even detriment?

Thanks

Rob
    When I first put it in I just ran around to a bunch of native, homebrewed, and app store apps to see how they and multi-tasking responded. Then I used it for several hours w/out charging and guesstimate compared that to batter drain prior to applying the patch. Also, if you go to WOSQI and go to device management you can at least see if it is showing up on your list of tweaks. Good luck.

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Am I the only one who hasn't had a single problem in any area of my phone with the 600 patch?
    No problems with 600, been running it for months (long before they made the patch).

As to you guys claiming the 575 mhz, the pre does not support 575, it only allows 500 550 and 600 (and some below that, which is what cpuscaling does). When you attempt to assign 575 it will just give an error in the file and skip it.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I feel like this patch does not save as much battery as my 600 one.
    But that could be just me not noticing correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    No problems with 600, been running it for months (long before they made the patch).

As to you guys claiming the 575 mhz, the pre does not support 575, it only allows 500 550 and 600 (and some below that, which is what cpuscaling does). When you attempt to assign 575 it will just give an error in the file and skip it.
    I just installed this, so is there a way to verify what you are saying.

Is there some kind of command we can run to see what speed we are at or are getting?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    I feel like this patch does not save as much battery as my 600 one.
    But that could be just me not noticing correctly.
    Honestly people....the only change from this one and the 600 patch is that the speed of the processor is slowed by 50 mhz. This MIGHT give a slightly better battery and it MIGHT eliminate some of the random unresponsiveness that many saw with the 600 patch. Aside from that, it is IDENTICAL. So if you are seeing anything new, it's all in your head or something totally unrelated. The chances that this patch will cause you to have a worse battery than the 600 patch would be very very unlikely.
    I just installed this, so is there a way to verify what you are saying.

Is there some kind of command we can run to see what speed we are at or are getting?

Rob
    yes.
    I suppose you want said command...

Enter in linux command line of Quick Install or Terminal app:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    My seidio 1350 used to consistently have 9-12% life at 9pm with my standard usage. Running the 550 patch now has me averaging 35% 2 nights in a row at 9pm with standard usage.

Calendar latency is gone.

Email latency is still there; specifically with swiping and opening folders as opposed to text loading.

It seems as though the phone is not getting as warm during calls but there's also a change in ambient air temp so it could be in my head.

I did not try the 600 or 500 SmartReflex patches nor either of the CPU Scaling ones but I'm generally pleased with the performance and will keep the PS SR 550 patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    Am I the only one who hasn't had a single problem in any area of my phone with the 600 patch?
    It's clear that each individual phone will have it's own stability characteristics.

Here's why:

Palm buys chips in bulk from TI (the silicon vendor).

The silicon vendor tests those chips (which come off the fab with widely varying performance characteristics) and they are "binned" (put into different lots) according to frequency, power and other performance and functionality criteria during the testing of each individual chip (yes, each one is fully tested and characterised).

I would expect that since Palm is only running at 500MHz, they can probably buy the 500MHz "bin" instead of the "bin" which has been proven to run at 600MHz in testing. The "500MHz bin" of chips will come at a lower price than the "guaranteed 600MHz bin" of chips.

Now, there are often times when a good fabrication run will cause *all* chips from that wafer to be in the 600MHz range. If the silicon vendor runs out of "cheaper" 500MHz chips, they usually just sell the 600MHz chips at the lower "500 MHz price".

Supply and demand for the various frequencies from OEMs like Palm will also cause the number of chips in inventory stock for each frequency bin to vary from week to week.

So every Pre potentially has a different stability characteristic according to exactly which silicon wafer the processor was manufactured from, and even where on the wafer the particular die was situated (cause the performance characteristics can vary across the 400mm diameter wafer).

To try and draw some sort of stability conclusion based on the *miniscule* number of reports in these forums is simply futile. The only thing that is clear is that there are some people who are obviously having stability problems when running above Palm's design frequency (which, when you understand the binning process at the silicon vendor, is not surprising at all).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Update about my install of this patch:

I have to take it off immediately!

I installed it last night and today everything was fine until about 2pm this afternoon.

My phone is freezing up immediately, so I might now have a bricked phone.

I'm going to try and see if I can get WebOSQI to uninstall it.

My feeling about why my phone is not able to handle this patch and others can:

It might be what the previous message is all about.

Chip are purchased in bulk and not all of them can handle that theoretical limit of 600mhz or even 550mhz.

So Palm wisely set the limit to 500 mhz.

Palm won't have a problem with returns at that limit and no headaches.

Now what I recommend with these kind of patches, is that they don't be placed on Preware so most novices don't play with them. They will freak out if there phones are bricked or even appear to be bricked.

Can you imagine the support requests, Sprint, Palm and even Precentral will get if someone who is not able to handle these problems, plays with this stuff and it's available in a form that is too easy to install, but not to easy to uninstall if their phone appears to be bricked (which I will shortly find out).

Look, no one can tell what individual got a unit that has a chip in it that can handle the 600mhz stuff and what unit can't.

No body here can definately say which unit is good to go with these patch and which units should never get this patch applied.

So play it safe and make these patches hard to install for the novice user. Don't make them available to Preware.

Make it so they know some Unix stuff, like forcing them to install via Bootstrap and rooting!

That why only people with the skills should be allowed to play and test these kind of patches.

All the other patches did no harm to a Pre unit, these patches can actually break a unit, in hardware by burning out the cpu.

Most other patches are only a software thing, these patches affect the hardware itself.

So please take my recommendation as someone who just tested this out without good results.

And I should say, that I feel privileged that I was able to test it out and I am not complaining that it went bad for me, so don't take my recommendation as a complaint.

Thank you!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

@ Rob I'm so sorry it didn't work for you! So far I'm still doing well with it, but I agree that it can be dangerous. I am glad we have this forum for people to get help, tho.

Update: I was able to easily uninstall the patch, so now I need to make sure that the freeze ups were definitely coming from this patch and nothing else.

I want to be perfectly fair in my opinions and statements.

I love being part of Precentral and the Homebrew community.

I make donations when I use an app and try to help others when I can.

So I just want to be sure that I in no way am against this patch just that I don't want novice users to play with it until it is debugged to work on any Pre, with any CPU that is inside the phone.

And at that point I would be for it getting up on Preware.

So keep on working out the issues.

Learn as much as you can, and then we (me included) will reap the benefits of everyone's hard work.

Yes, I am happy to have this forum as well!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Update: I was able to easily uninstall the patch, so now I need to make sure that the freeze ups were definitely coming from this patch and nothing else.

I want to be perfectly fair in my opinions and statements.

I love being part of Precentral and the Homebrew community.

I make donations when I use an app and try to help others when I can.

So I just want to be sure that I in no way am against this patch just that I don't want novice users to play with it until it is debugged to work on any Pre, with any CPU that is inside the phone.

And at that point I would be for it getting up on Preware.

So keep on working out the issues.

Learn as much as you can, and then we (me included) will reap the benefits of everyone's hard work.

Yes, I am happy to have this forum as well!

Rob
    I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing your post. I support your position 100%. I just meant to offer support for the fact that it didn't work for you 'cause I'm enjoying it. I'm sorry if it came across wrong.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast