Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Open the slider to lock the orientation (portrait or landscape) in the browser.

Close the slider to restart automatic orientation detection.

Update:
    When you open a link in a new card while the slider is open, the new card will open in the same orientation as the existing cards.

If the slider is open when the browser is launched, the browser will be locked in portrait mode until the slider is closed.

Once a few people have tested it, I'll submit it to the feed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by samkim; 11/29/2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    you are a viking
    a viking

ill try this out in a bit, doing some shuffling right now

I have no idea what working with the accelerator is like so excuse my naivete, but is there any way to simply disable it for all programs with a button or will that screw something up?
    Patch works great! Thanks
    so far it's working as expect. thank you! this is a huge deal for me. do you have any plans on having this patch work for other apps aside from the browser?
    Yeah, having a toggle in the top bar menu would be awesome.
    I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain of Lite View Post
    Yeah, having a toggle in the top bar menu would be awesome.
    Sadly not possible. Each app handles orientation changes in their own way and isn't globally controllable, as far as I know.

@samkim: nice patch
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Interesting idea and very well thought out...great work!!!

BTW, has anyone doing patches here or at web Internals released any notes on how they accomplished these patch tasks and changes?

On a Mac, I'd simply load Firebug or a CSS Editor and snope out where things are happening behind the scenes.

Just curious and either way keep up the great work.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    This works great - thanks! Been looking for something like this for a while...
    Cool, it works, Thanks for the work!
  10.    #10  
    Thanks all for the feedback.

I've rewritten the patch to add the following changes:
    1. When you open a new card with the slider open, it will be in the same orientation as the current card.
    2. If the slider is open when you launch the browser, it'll default to portrait mode.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    so far it's working as expect. thank you! this is a huge deal for me. do you have any plans on having this patch work for other apps aside from the browser?
    I hadn't planned on it... The browser is the only app where I ran into problems with orientation changes. Is there another app where it's needed? (I don't know if I'll have the time anyway.)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Interesting idea and very well thought out...great work!!!

BTW, has anyone doing patches here or at web Internals released any notes on how they accomplished these patch tasks and changes?

On a Mac, I'd simply load Firebug or a CSS Editor and snope out where things are happening behind the scenes.

Just curious and either way keep up the great work.
    I get the complete source code from webOS Doctor, and I edit with Coda on the Mac. I use Cornerstone (subversion app) to create the patch files. I have Terminal open with two tabs: one to restart Luna via ssh, and the other running palm-log for debugging.
    hey this patch works great...very well thought, anyway u can make same function work for the messaging app.?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by fritos1406 View Post
    hey this patch works great...very well thought, anyway u can make same function work for the messaging app.?
    Hey, thanks.

I see that you wrote the patch to use messaging in landscape. I don't use it, but my patch is open source under MIT license, so you're welcome to incorporate my code into your patch if you'd like.

Also, here's the original version of the patch - which is much easier to drop into another app. It's got four blocks: init, cleanup, new code, and an interrupt for the orientationChanged function.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I've yet to mess around with patches for the Pre, but I have a little bit of coding experience. What would I do to drop this into the messaging app? The only references I see to the browser seem to be lines 2, 7, and 10 - Is this all I'd need to change for the messaging app? And if so, what is the name of the app file I should reference? com.palm.app.messaging, by any chance? Haha. (Surely it can't be that easy.)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by vonstemmington View Post
    I've yet to mess around with patches for the Pre, but I have a little bit of coding experience. What would I do to drop this into the messaging app? The only references I see to the browser seem to be lines 2, 7, and 10 - Is this all I'd need to change for the messaging app? And if so, what is the name of the app file I should reference? com.palm.app.messaging, by any chance? Haha. (Surely it can't be that easy.)
    A patch file describes the edits to make to existing code. My patches are in "unified diff" format, and they list:
    1. the file(s) to edit
    2. the line numbers affected and number of lines in each block before and after the edits are made
    3. code to add (lines that start with a single "+")
    4. code to remove (lines that start with a single "-")
    5. code above and below the point of insertion or removal

To create a patch for another app, you'd need to edit the relevant file(s) in that app, and then use a special program to compare the original with the modified file to create the patch. I'm not familiar with the messaging app, but I think it should be easy for someone familiar with webOS to get my code to work in it.
    I'm also working on a patch to enable/disable the auto-browser orientation. I haven't installed your patch but from the description you have provided, you're using a slider to change the settings.

The patch I've made uses an option in the preferences menu, which I think is a "smoother" way to set the browser orientation option.

Here's a screenshot of the normal browser preference page (left) and the patched browser preference page (right):

I refer to the setting as "Accelerometer" because essentially that's what the patch does, it turns on and off the accelerometer.

Instead of both of us submitting two patches to the feed that essentially do the same thing, I wanted to know if you would like to combine our efforts to make one patch.
    hit up that thanks button
  18.    #18  
    I submitted my patch several days ago. If you want to incorporate my patch code and feature into your patch, you're welcome to do so. And if that makes my patch unnecessary, we could remove it from the feed.

I personally would prefer controlling it with the slider, because it's much faster than launching a preferences page. But I'm sure many people would like a toggle switch, especially if they want to turn it off permanently. Also, Pixi owners don't have the option of using the slider.

I didn't call it the accelerometer because my patch only stops the browser from reacting. The accelerometer on the device is still running, and other apps will still respond to it.

If you've found a way to turn it off for the entire device, great. A lot of people want that.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    A combined patch of these two methods would be pretty awesome I think - I'm looking forward to seeing the results if it happens!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    How about renaming the patch to:
    Slider Locks Orientation
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast