1.    #1  
    was just wondering if its possible to make a little indicator at the upper right corner of the messaging icon like the iphone has and even some notifications of different apps

any one else that wants that?
    Last edited by alioooop; 11/29/2009 at 06:27 AM.
    Yeah, that would be nice, if it's even possible. Especially for email since there have been so many problems for people with notifications not showing up when they get new messages and such
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alioooop View Post
    was just wondering if its possible to make a little indicator at the upper right corner of the messaging icon like the iphone has and even some notifications of different apps

any one else that wants that?

the WHOLE point of the PRE is to have notifications at the bottom (i.e. unobtrusive).

the iPhone requires message notifications on the icons because its a menu based phone. it doesn't have a dedicated notifications field anywhere else. the pre does.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edoeding View Post
    the WHOLE point of the PRE is to have notifications at the bottom (i.e. unobtrusive).

the iPhone requires message notifications on the icons because its a menu based phone. it doesn't have a dedicated notifications field anywhere else. the pre does.
    Having the number of unread e-mails, text messages, or missed phone calls on the icon is not obtrusive at all.. While it's technically there at the bottom of the screen it's still possible to clear the notification without checking said messages. With the notification cleared there's no way of knowing how many messages you have. Why would I clear a notification from the bottom without checking the message? For of habit I guess. Whatever it is, I do it and I know I'm not the only one.

I'd like this patch! I wonder if someone in the webOS community can provide it?!
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    Having the number of unread e-mails, text messages, or missed phone calls on the icon is not obtrusive at all.. While it's technically there at the bottom of the screen it's still possible to clear the notification without checking said messages. With the notification cleared there's no way of knowing how many messages you have. Why would I clear a notification from the bottom without checking the message? For of habit I guess. Whatever it is, I do it and I know I'm not the only one.
    Yeah I do this too, plus sometimes I turn off my phone without checking a new email and I forget about it when I turn it back on because the notification goes away and I don't see that I have a new message
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomascoe View Post
    Yeah I do this too, plus sometimes I turn off my phone without checking a new email and I forget about it when I turn it back on because the notification goes away and I don't see that I have a new message
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! There have been multiple times I actually thought about how nice it would be to have that feature but never thought about asking here.

To the OP: Change the title of this topic to "Patch Request: Message Count On Icon" Let's see if we can get someones attention.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by edoeding View Post
    Kind of a bizarre thing to say... a number overlay on an app's icon is even more unobtrusive than a black bar along the bottom of your screen

I think the whole point of the Pre is seamless multitasking, not having notifications at the bottom of your screen. That's just a nice bonus.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! There have been multiple times I actually thought about how nice it would be to have that feature but never thought about asking here.

To the OP: Change the title of this topic to "Patch Request: Message Count On Icon" Let's see if we can get someones attention.
    i have now changed this so hope som patch developer wants to make this!!
    Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alioooop View Post
    i have now changed this so hope som patch developer wants to make this!!
    The title's still showing as it always has (i was searching to see if anything like this had been done and still show it as "message count on icon?"

anyhow, i'd love to see this happen via patch since i'm sure it would lead to other content-sensitive icons and eventually perhaps even widgets ala android. this seems like a logical first step. i hope some talented developer tackles this project!
    http://phwelo.mobi
    for any questions or to send a donation: phwelo@gmail.com
    The notification bar shows the number of newest emails. The icon on the app would show the number of unread emails. These aren't always the same.
    And sometimes we accidentally swipe away notifications too hastily. It can be easy to forget that you got a new email or text message if you do things in a hurry.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nulall View Post
    The notification bar shows the number of newest emails. The icon on the app would show the number of unread emails. These aren't always the same.
    And sometimes we accidentally swipe away notifications too hastily. It can be easy to forget that you got a new email or text message if you do things in a hurry.
    Yes exactly would be great
    and i tried to change the name of the thread but i can only change the name of the first post, anyone knows how to change it?
  12.    #12  
    I have now made a new thread so follow this here

[PATCH REQUEST] message count on messaging and email icon