1.    #1  
    im looking for a patch that allows me to skip or not force a download of the newest firmware. im on 1.21 and like my wifi tethering

using my acer aspire tethered to my palm pre
    Found these instructions in another thread:

From the Linux command line enter:

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    killall UpdateDaemon

Hit enter twice between each line to get me back to a root prompt.

If you disabled your update you might want to re-enable it at some point.

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

Then restart your phone and automatic updating should be back.
    I'll look into making this a patch...
    Dan DeFrancisco

My Add Scrim Patches:
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email

My themes:

http://www.prethemer.com/profile/mracer29/themes

If you like my work or I do custom work for you, I have a donate button on my themes on prethemer. Donations always accepted but, never required!!!! If nothing else the thanks button is over there
    -------------------------------------------------------------------->
  4.    #4  
    sweet thanks for answering so fast. do you know by chance if i can down grade 1.3.1 back to 1.21

if you can get your hands on an old copy of the doctor, I'm sure there out there. I may have one I'll look, but right now I'm to lazy to go out to my truck and get my laptop.
    Dan DeFrancisco

My Add Scrim Patches:
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email

My themes:

If you like my work or I do custom work for you, I have a donate button on my themes on prethemer. Donations always accepted but, never required!!!! If nothing else the thanks button is over there
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvintimothyjr View Post
    Found these instructions in another thread:

From the Linux command line enter:

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    killall UpdateDaemon

Hit enter twice between each line to get me back to a root prompt.

If you disabled your update you might want to re-enable it at some point.

cd /usr/bin
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod +x UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /

Then restart your phone and automatic updating should be back.
    i"ll Make A Patch Try To For This
    Last edited by osirus; 11/25/2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Ment Try
    Hi Everybody!!!
    This is what I'm thinking...... Extract the updatedemon file by copying it to my comp. Run the code from above then copy the changed file to the comp. Compair the 2 then create the patch.
    Dan DeFrancisco

My Add Scrim Patches:
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email

My themes:

I may have something that may work. If we have a phone on 1.2.1 I may be able to patch the updatedeamon file to only look for an update every 9,999,999,999 mins insted of every 10 mins. You would have off turn off wifi to postpone the first update attempt. then it wouldnt attempt to update again for a long time.... like over a year!
    Dan DeFrancisco

My Add Scrim Patches:
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email

My themes:

9.    #9  
    ya that could work. now i just need to find a way to downgrade

I have a copy of the doctor from 9/30/09 This should be before the 1.3.1 update. Email me at mracer29@yahoo.com ill send it to you. Be aware this wil erace all data includng your pictures, contacts, settings. The sprint back up cloud has been lees then perfect at restoring everyones data. I would suggest to back up any info on the pres usb drive first.
    Dan DeFrancisco

My Add Scrim Patches:
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email

My themes:

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mracer29 View Post
    I have a copy of the doctor from 9/30/09 This should be before the 1.3.1 update. Email me at mracer29@yahoo.com ill send it to you. Be aware this wil erace all data includng your pictures, contacts, settings. The sprint back up cloud has been lees then perfect at restoring everyones data. I would suggest to back up any info on the pres usb drive first.
    thanks but i found the 1.2.1 on web internal site still looking for that patch

ill make it today.... not sure if it will work or not.
    Dan DeFrancisco

My Add Scrim Patches:
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email

My themes:

Its not letting me create a patch file but, Im attaching 2 files Try to send the first one to /usr/bin/ . Make sure your phone is at 1.2.1. Ignore the the update, that should normally tell the pre to try again in 10 mins. Now it wont try again for 9,999,999,999 mins.

If it dont work or your phone acts buggy send the original file to the /usr/bin/ its the second one im attaching. FYI. even if your phone is stuck on the boot screen you can still send the fie with webos QI. I sent the file to the emulator and it started fine.

EDIT: I had to put the files in a zip. So you will have to unzip the files then the changed file is in there and there is a file called original that contains the original.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mracer29; 11/26/2009 at 11:40 AM.
    Dan DeFrancisco

My Add Scrim Patches:
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email

My themes:

Quote Originally Posted by mracer29 View Post
    This is what I'm thinking...... Extract the updatedemon file by copying it to my comp. Run the code from above then copy the changed file to the comp. Compair the 2 then create the patch.
    Lol, this will definitly not work... the code just tells the palm that the update daemon is not an executable file... this is not stored in the file itself but in the file system, so you would get two equal files that way...

Your second idea might work in theory...
    Quote Originally Posted by silentguy View Post
    Your second idea might work in theory...
    Dying to know if it worked....... Someone try it and let me know
    Dan DeFrancisco

My Add Scrim Patches:
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email

My themes:

Anyone still having this problem??
    Dan DeFrancisco

My Add Scrim Patches:
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email

My themes:

17.    #17  
    i havent tried it. i actually used the code from the post earlier. downgraded to 1.2.1 and so far it hasnt asked me for a update

Quote Originally Posted by cjmedina26 View Post
    i havent tried it. i actually used the code from the post earlier. downgraded to 1.2.1 and so far it hasnt asked me for a update
    Sweet, glad its working for ya, if you know of anyone else having this problem have them try that file from above.
    Dan DeFrancisco

My Add Scrim Patches:
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email

My themes: