Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    when hooked up to wosqi you can check what state your processor spends most of its time in through the linux command line.

In that line type:
    "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state"
    without the quotations
    Sorry for dumb question but I'm not sure where the linux command line is.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbowen1982 View Post
    I really don't care if this bricks my Pre ... thats why I pay 7/mo for TEP. Besides, this device is a refurb ... and not a very nice one. I HOPE this one dies so I can try for a better replacement.
    [This post is more about a general attitude of some homebrew users, rather than about sirbowen1982 in particular. He just happens to be the unlucky one who stated it last ]

That's an interesting point of view. Let's extrapolate it and see where it goes ...

Say 100,000 people install this patch, and say (I'm not saying it does or doesn't but let's say it does for the purpose of this hypothetical) it reduces the life of the Pre to 6 months.

Suddenly, in 6 months, Sprint and Palm see a huge spike in the number of warranty returns for the Pre. This then causes an impact that is noticeable to management in the financial balance sheet, and is also reported widely in the technology press as some sort of hardware problem with the Pre that makes it fail after 6 months (the fact that it was caused by users installing hardware-modifying patches is of course not reported).

What do you think the relationship between Palm and homebrew will be like after all that has happened? How do you think Palm would be forced to react to a situation like that? How do you think the community will be affected as a result?

Just food for thought ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    So far out of smartreflex 500, 550, and 600, (the latter two self-patched) the sweet-spot for my phone seems to be 600. I had no real changes in the 500, and oddly enough I had heat problems with the 550 that I don't get with 600. My CPU was regularly getting over 40C and apparently about about 42C something was causing Luna to restart. Note, it was just Luna and not the whole OS.
    Hey Rod,

Well put ... you make your point very nicely. I wouldn't want to see the Pre get a bad rep for early failure, and it would be horrible if Palm decided to cut the head off this incredible Homebrew Monster you guys have built. (Thanks again BTW)

But ... my first Pre (had manufacture date in August 09) had BEAUTIFUL build quality and it died just after my 30 return/exchange period ended. The touch screen just stopped responding ... everything else worked fine, I doctored it and still no touch screen.

Because this happened after my return/exchange window, I was forced to use the TEP to get a remanufactured device. This new device has areas of the screen where the black is not as true as it should be (oreo effect etc) and dead pixels ... not a lot of dead pixels, but enough to **** me off.

Really, I don't think there's anything else that can happen to sully the "good" name of Pre ... every Pre owner I know personally has had their device replaced at least once. Everyone KNOWS the device has build issues.

As of this posting, I'm testing this patch because I don't care what happens to the pile of junk Sprint decided to give me (two days after my return period). If my Pre dies within six months, I'll get a replacement, go back to the SR 500 patch and come back here to tell you all about it ... then you wont have to extrapolate on hypothetical situations, you'll know because I tested it out for you.

As for others, it's like the author says yo ... use at your own risk.

I sincerely hope this patch doesn't directly affect Palms relationship with the homebrew community, but I have no control over this personally ... who knows how many people are using this patch without abandon?

~Bowen

EDIT- I love my Pre btw ... best phone on the market EASILY and everyone I show it to wishes it was theirs. I'm not a hater! I'm a beta tester
    Last edited by sirbowen1982; 11/29/2009 at 06:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbowen1982 View Post
    it would be horrible if Palm decided to cut the head off this incredible Homebrew Monster you guys have built.
    Note that my post was definitely a true hypothetical, and we have so far had nothing but many very positive responses from Palm regarding homebrew and webos-internals, and we are not expecting that to change.

When I buy a device, and use it outside the parameters of official support by the manufacturer (e.g. by hacking it), then I have made a conscious decision that I have now broken the deal with the manufacturer for warranty service for anything that could have been caused by the hacking. This is the sense of personal responsibility which I think is important to have when using these hardware modifying patches.

Now, if the device breaks for some other reason (e.g. true hardware failures like the ones you have detailed which are unrelated to the hacking), then I realise the onus may be on me to prove that lack of connection, but I expect the manufacturer to honour the warranty if there is no possible connection (e.g. a cpu scaling patch cannot affect the slider mechanical operation).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaker55 View Post
    Sorry for dumb question but I'm not sure where the linux command line is.
    the linux command line is under tools in wosqi
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ive been running the smartreflex 500 since it came out ;
    ..greatest battery saver.. i would charge it to 100%, then uncharge and leave it idle, without doing nothing on it, sleep during the night and would see usualy 0.89% drain per hour and like 2.80% drain per hour if i was doing little texting or wtvr..
    i uninstalled it yesturday, and reinstalled it, guessing it was a new one release, and now ive been leaving my phone idle and im getting 3.89% drain per hour
    .. im going to charge it up again, and during the night see what it gives me
    ....could there be a difference in these patches when the get re released?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    well after reading and some re-reading of the available documentation from TI and the iphone/droid/nokia/pre forums on this processor I've decided to leave the 600mhz patch off since I don't really want a refurb phone and nothing suggests the processor is long lasting at 600mhz.

I will be installing the 550mhz as its a slight boost has the same powersave abilities and is what all Palms competitors decided was safe... I'm not huge on trusting nokia or apples abilities but I'm fan of Motorola and they also decided on 550mhz which leaves the pre as the only phone with the extra cautious 500 limit.

personally I would suggest the 550 to everyone based on current information. However if you're already on a refurb you might as well go for the 600mhz.
    I listened to the group wisdom and removed the 600MHz a few days ago, but I can't live without it now. It's like a dangerous drug, and I need more. I intend to keep running it until it either becomes hopelessly unstable or the cpu melts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Note that my post was definitely a true hypothetical, and we have so far had nothing but many very positive responses from Palm regarding homebrew and webos-internals, and we are not expecting that to change.
    That's great news! The Pre is an even more incredible device with all the awesome Homebrew goodness ... and I think Palm would agree. It seems to me that this is exactly the kind of developer response they were looking for ... open source is such a beautiful thing!

I suppose if the problem I was having was most likely caused by something the patch did (like CPU failure), I would smash my phone and use an insurance claim (the other great part of TEP). I think I could warranty my phone right now for the dead pixels, but as long it's still kickin I'll keep using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobraextreme View Post
    I listened to the group wisdom and removed the 600MHz a few days ago, but I can't live without it now. It's like a dangerous drug, and I need more. I intend to keep running it until it either becomes hopelessly unstable or the cpu melts.
    I agree, it's a bit like crack. One taste of the smooth GUI, it's tough to go back. I'm hoping my Pre stays stable too, but if it starts acting wonky I'll try the 550 out. Still, I've only noticed good things ... lower overall temp, faster charge times and MUCH better battery life. I use my Pre HEAVILY but with smartreflex enabled my normal "top off" charges on the drive to and from work are the only charges I've needed.

I'm seriously hoping the 6 month lifespan Palm was reporting at 600 is without Smartreflex enabled ... because even at 500 the temp of my device was RIDICULOUS sometimes, especially when charging and using EVDO and/or WIFI (MyTether used to make my phone crazy hot). Does anyone know why Palm shipped the Pre without Smartreflex? The idea of going back to days before Smartreflex makes want to cry.

~Bowen
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    With Smartreflex 600 last night my Pre actually bottomed out at 26C. I've never seen it that low before.

Highest I have ever seen is 42C whilst running Smartreflex 550. Luna kept crashing at that point.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I've had SR600 installed for about a week. It did freeze on the initial reboot requiring a battery pull. But no freezing since then. I do get the occasional 1-2 second delay in responding that others have reported (I notice this 2-3 times per day). Other than that, it's all positive... smoother/faster UI, apps load/run faster and are more responsive, temperature seems to be less of a problem than before, and battery life is significantly improved. For me, the positives far outweigh the risk of shortening the CPU life, especially since I rarely keep a phone longer than a year. If I start getting more freezing, I'll try the 550 patch.

I agree with the decision to pull it from Preware. It's a little too dangerous for the masses. But more importantly, there seems to be a very nice symbiotic relationship developing between Palm and the homebrew community that doesn't need a wedge issue at this point.
    Been running the SR600 for a week now and I am still loving it. There is def a hangup in the video app and it freezes alot there. Other than that I haven't seen much. Maybe some freezing in the web browser. Downloaded a video though and the pre was cooking hot. I can't remember if got that hot before though.
    I had the Smartreflex 600 patch installed for almost a week. It installed clean and seemed to be running everything quicker and smoother for a day or two. Then I noticed some freezing on various apps including homescreen wakeup, email, etc. Got to be too frequent so just removed it tonight and installed the 500 version. So far no problems with this will report back in a few days again.

Too bad the 600 had freeze issues....it really made the Pre smooth and fast.
    I've had the 600 running for a while and i've noticed nothing. LOL. Not a thing. If the phone is going faster its a half second and the phone always had slight pauses when i was doing things. I think this is what you guys are talking about delays or freezeing but my phone always did that. Either way after about a week im now removing it cause so far its been useless for me. Someone overclock the chip and lets see what happens
    Back at 600...nice.

Hey, just curious if anyones knows what the Droid is running at? They have the same processor so is it limited to 500mhz out of the box too?
    Last edited by donovan34; 12/03/2009 at 04:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I've had the 600 running for a while and i've noticed nothing. LOL. Not a thing. If the phone is going faster its a half second and the phone always had slight pauses when i was doing things. I think this is what you guys are talking about delays or freezeing but my phone always did that. Either way after about a week im now removing it cause so far its been useless for me. Someone overclock the chip and lets see what happens
    If you couldn't see the difference, then it wasn't installed correctly.
    It's really obvious. It makes universal search in particular, very very snappy,
    but I saw improvements across the board.

Unfortunately for me, after 3 days of running fine, it just got more and
    more unstable until it wouldn't stay running for more than a minute after
    each reboot before it'd lock up, so I had to take it off.

And yes the small pauses are garbage collection and they're normal with or
    without SR600. The glitches in streaming video are not normal, and represents
    some sort of problem with SR600.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    If you couldn't see the difference, then it wasn't installed correctly.
    It's really obvious. It makes universal search in particular, very very snappy,
    but I saw improvements across the board.

Unfortunately for me, after 3 days of running fine, it just got more and
    more unstable until it wouldn't stay running for more than a minute after
    each reboot before it'd lock up, so I had to take it off.

And yes the small pauses are garbage collection and they're normal with or
    without SR600. The glitches in streaming video are not normal, and represents
    some sort of problem with SR600.

ian
    It was installed right. Its just not as big of a difference as everyone is saying. maybe half a second on apps. Not really noticable for me. Universal search is nearly instant on my phone without it. I did notice it messd with my youtube videos. It stops the videos stream for some reason.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    We're only talking a 20% difference. It wasn't going to make apps
    load instantly if that's what you were expecting The other place where it
    was welcome improvement though was rendering of complex web
    pages. When it can shave 1 second off a 5 second render, that's noticeable
    and it sometimes seemed faster than that.

I've created a couple small shell scripts to turn smartreflex 550 on and off
    from terminal app (so I don't have to uninstall anything if the phone
    becomes unstable) and it seems ok so far.

ian
    Yea i noticed some forums loaded up faster on the web.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast