Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    lol, you do realize Palm underclocked the CPU because clocking this current batch of the chipset resulted in the CPU only lasting 6 months. They didn't underclock it for no reason.

With that said, I am running the sr 600mhz patch...
    The only factors that will shorten a processors shelf-life are 1. Extreme heat and 2. Moisture and 3. unstable or fluctuating electrical currents and most modern devices power controllers can compensate for number 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz Al Ghoul View Post
    You are NOT going to kill your processor with the SmartReflex 600 patch as this is patch is NOT overclocking the Pre's processor.

The Pre's processor is rated to run at 600mhz therefore it is NOT OVERCLOCKED AND WILL NOT KILL ONE's PROCESSOR. If I read this again I will go ape-****.

The Pre's processor like all processors can be overclocked substantially WITHOUT ill effects or damage. You can even overclock the Pre's processor to 700mhz and will NOT damage the phone.

I have overclocked hundreds of processors as I build gaming riggs and systems for high end graphics rendering and processing and phone processors are NO different.

Please STOP referring to these patches as OVERCLOCKING, as it IS NOT!!!

I have the 600 patch on my phone and it is a night and day difference without it and it has been all positive. No lag, faster across the board, much noticed stability improvements and battery life has increased dramatically.

If I known that the powers that be in their almighty wisdom was going to pull it, I would of downloaded it as the Pre is a great phone with it and just a good phone without it.
    Unless there is something WRONG with the processor, that's the whole point. You're talking about processors that are tested and known to be working perfectly according to their specs.

Are you privy to confidential information from TI or Palm? Do you KNOW that these processors are up to their rated specs? Do you KNOW that there's not a problem on the chip that shortens lifespan at higher clock/temperatures? there could very easily be a problem with the chips that is not a problem at 500 but IS a problem at 600. Do you have experience with lifetime testing of chips that have processing errors that were discovered after chip release?

Seriously, you don't know and neither does anyone else, except in this case TI and Palm. But by all means, continue being flippant about everyone else's phones. Are you going to guarantee that clocking to 600MHz won't ever kill anyone's phone, and stand by that guarantee monetarily? No? Then stop making promises and overarching statements.
    The only factors that will shorten a processors shelf-life are 1. Extreme heat and 2. Moisture and 3. unstable or fluctuating electrical currents and most modern devices power controllers can compensate for number 3.
    Err... no. Have you ever researched semiconductor manufacturing? Driving a circuit beyond its specified maximum frequency is a sure-fire way to kill stuff early. For example: Electromigration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes, I think we are driving it beyond its specified maximum frequency with these patches. The OMAP3 might be rated in its public literature as 600MHz, but that doesn't mean THESE chips are! The 3400 series is an OEM-only part. We do not have any data for its operational limits. People like Palm and TI do know its limits, and they decided to leave Smartflex off and to keep it locked at 500MHz. Clearly, the people who built these circuits must have no idea what they are doing...

These patches should of NEVER been in Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    If I known that the powers that be in their almighty wisdom was going to pull it, I would of downloaded it as the Pre is a great phone with it and just a good phone without it.
    The 600Mhz patches (in their raw form) are still available in the patches source code repository for anyone who wants to use them at their own risk.

Tree for modifications in WebOS Internals - Gitorious

They are simply no longer packaged for installation through the webos-patches feed in Preware due to multiple reports of devices that needed to be completely doctored as a result of installing them.

If you want to use them, WebOS Quick Install should be able to install them for you.

"First, do no harm."

-- Rod (who is apparently "the powers that be in their almighty wisdom" ...)
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    With the wide range of instability they shouldn't have been so easy to install for the masses.
    But I wouldn't have tried it again if it wasn't (: Been running stable with no noticeable decrease in battery life.
    I'm keeping it installed.
    @Raz Al Ghoul,

There is a reason why palm clocked the processor at 500mhz (Has thermal management issues when clocked at 600mhz, reduces lifespan to ~6 months), same reason why the Droid, and N900, with the same OMAP3430 Processor, are also clocked at 500mhz. Manufacturers aren't idiotic FYI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    @Raz Al Ghoul,

There is a reason why palm clocked the processor at 500mhz (Has thermal management issues when clocked at 600mhz, reduces lifespan to ~6 months), same reason why the Droid, and N900, with the same OMAP3430 Processor, are also clocked at 500mhz. Manufacturers aren't idiotic FYI.
    I thought the droid was running @ 550mhz....
    I have been running SF 600 now for 3 days now and so far I am really happy with it. I have one question for the computer savy out there. With bluetooth, GPS and Wifi turned off my Pre at idle with screen off I checked the battery % after 1 hour and it had not moved (still at % 100). Does that mean the CPU is not running and if so, since my phone is like that alot of the time, does that mean this program is actually prolonging the life of the CPU?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I installed sr600 3 days ago. It froze after first reboot
    then worked great for 3 days. Today it locked again
    and again and again.. 5-6 rebbots later I finally got
    far enough into Preware to uninstall it and it's been
    fine since. Shame because the speed was addicting
    and battery life balanced out fine.

ian
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    After 'updating' Reflex 500 the pre would have random crashes, as in complte shutdown. on other devices restart isn't that bad but 5minute waits while i'm texting get annoying.

Running webOS repair after doctoring
    so far it did find files in need of repair

Before removing and reinstalling Reflex 500 it ran perfectly. No problems or conflicts whatsoever
    i would still like to see the technical statement citing the 6 month lifespan claim that is being thrown around this forum like there's no tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i dont think its such a black and white 600 or 500 issue. TI designed a chip for 600 but only some of us are able to run it and fewer are running it well. my guess is that their is a problem in their manufacturing process and they are not yielding enough chips that can handle 600 to enable that speed on a mass produced device. underclocking to 500 allowed enough chips to pass inspection.

if it is a manufacturing quality control issue, hopefully it gets fixed and the next batch will be 600-worthy.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Yeah, I would like to get more info on the entire thing, but I do agree with the decision to remove the patches from preware simply because the barrier to use isnt high enough to necessitate proper research.

You've got people who keep saying 'it works for me, great' without even thinking about the future ramifications, and preware is a bit too legitimate at this point to deal with something that might potential screw up your pre (which is what one should assume until we learn the reason behind the underclocking).
    I tried the patches command line first to see what the result was (and if there was problems a reboot would default things back)
    Patch webOS CPU Frequency or Voltage Scaling - WebOS Internals

Had it running for a day or so, and I've noticed that it is faster, but there are occasional times when it seems to pause and be unresponsive for a couple of seconds. The camera loads really fast, but if you leave it up and move it around it sometimes stuttered a bit.

Battery life was better for sure.

This may not be what you get when you try, but I'm planning on trying the 550MHz just to see if there is a good balance. 10% performance improvement, plus the improved standby.
    I think it makes sense that patches that *clearly* have inconsistent and potentially harmful, or even simply inconvenient results aren't in Preware. Preware does a great job of making it very easy to install all the great patches that are available to us WebOSers. None of those patches have a chance of causing the kind of problems that these patches do, even if the breadth of the problems that could be caused is still a wildly debated topic-- there's more risk involved here, no matter how you slice it.

I'll point out that I will be continuing to run SmartReflex 600 on my Pre, all that being said. Aside from the phone locking up on the initial reboot, I haven't noticed a single downside. The phone runs faster, holds its charge better, and the temperature of the phone seems completely unchanged.

But who knows. Preware doesn't strike me as the place for patches that have so many "unknowns".
    Xenoc
    :: Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm Vx -> Samsung SPH-i330 -> Treo 600 -> 650 -> 755p -> Palm Pre (2nd) -> Verizon Pre2::

If you like electronic music... check me out:
    http://www.xenocmusic.com (needs updates ...)
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The 600Mhz patches (in their raw form) are still available in the patches source code repository for anyone who wants to use them at their own risk.

They are simply no longer packaged for installation through the webos-patches feed in Preware due to multiple reports of devices that needed to be completely doctored as a result of installing them.

If you want to use them, WebOS Quick Install should be able to install them for you.

"First, do no harm."

Could you explain how WOSQI can re install this patch? If the forum is too public would you mind sending me a PM?
    ran perfect for a week n then phone started freezing while asleep. Also videos had a weird affect while playing
    Quote Originally Posted by iamalive View Post
    Could you explain how WOSQI can re install this patch? If the forum is too public would you mind sending me a PM?
    I'm sorry, but that information is available in the WOSQI documentation and threads, so I will not be repeating it here and thereby leading other people away from taking the time to read the documentation associated with the tools they are using.

It's no secret.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

"First, do no harm."

i saved it to desktop and it said nothing but garbage was found
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    i saved it to desktop and it said nothing but garbage was found
    I got the same problem.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast