1.    #1  
    Has anyone considered a patch to give SMS delivery notifications.

In Ireland, if I put *R* before the text in a text message I get a delivery receipt back from the network.

For example if I send an SMS to someone with this text

*R* hello

I get another SMS back which reads

Message 1915856764 to 35387xxxxxxx delivered at 11:41 on 24-Nov-09 Text " hello"

If would be nice to have a patch that would interpret this incoming text and display a delivery notification on the sent text.

The above is on the IRL Meteor network and there are similar codes for other network providers but I think the format of the notification varies between operators..

Gx
    I think it would be hard to make those "templates" for each carrier... but if the delivery notifications worked on the Treo, I just hope they will work also here...
    Hm, I'm fairly certain that there are also standart-rules for requesting those notifications. My Windows Mobile had options to request those notifications. They do not have to be requested by modifying the text... Don't feel like researching from my Pre right now ;-)
    So we would need to set the proper flags while sending and maybe intercept the results... But how to display... Hmmm...
    Okay, I had to do some last minute babysitting and I used the time to do some research...
    According to this site, messages are encoded in PDU mode and there is an octet that indicates status information including the fact that we want an delivery notification... not certain which bit it is exactly, this says bit 5, another germin site I saw talked about bit 4...

But that only be step one... i guess we would also need a nice way to parse the returning messages... I would prefer like a small mark beside my message to show it was received, or something like that...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by silentguy View Post

But that only be step one... i guess we would also need a nice way to parse the returning messages... I would prefer like a small mark beside my message to show it was received, or something like that...
    Perhaps if the SMS changed colour it could also be an indication that it has been delivered.

Gx
    What is the status of this? Is sms delivery reports MIA in the Pre, even though they are part of the GSM standard and every feature phone since 96 has had the option to request them? If it actually is missing (!) is there any progress to get it in the webos?

/K
    In the UK (on O2) you can put a *0# in front of the message to get a delivery receipt.
    Note: The *0# goes in front of the message text itself and not in front of the number
    It's also missing from Iphone, but some French guy managed to make patch, and it works now. On GSM Pre, in CarrierNetworkSettings.db3, ...CarrierNetworkSettings table, I've entered "1" in smsRequestDeliveryReceiptAvailable field, but nothing happened. If I want delivery report, I still have to enter *!# code in the beginning of sms to receive delivery confirmation. Can someone look in CarrierNetworkSettings.db3, there is maybe some field in some other table to edit!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Perhaps if the SMS changed colour it could also be an indication that it has been delivered.

Gx
    I'm on Verizon with the Pixi Plus..

When I initially hit the "send" icon, the text of the message I sent is grey... after a second or two, it turns black.

I just assumed that grey was "sending", and black was "sent". No?
    Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionSoul View Post
    I just assumed that grey was "sending", and black was "sent". No?
    That should be right, grey means sending and black means sent. No indication when it is received by the recipient still.
    hi,

does anyone know if I have to pay for the notification sms? I'm on a german O2 GSM Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by CuckooPre View Post
    does anyone know if I have to pay for the notification sms? I'm on a german O2 GSM Palm Pre.
    It's free on all german carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkloeckner View Post
    It's free on all german carriers.
    Thanks for your answer. could you tell me from where you've got this information?
    Well. This is an old teltarif post that I found doing a quick google search, which says that it's free of charge.
    --> SMS-Empfangsbestätigung künftig auch bei E-Plus - teltarif.de News

*N# is what I use for the eplus network. As far as I know its the same code for O2, t-mobile & vodafone.