Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I checked preware and i see about 8 CPU Scaling and SmartReflex patches now? I dont get which does what and why so many!?
    i feel the same way...i wanna know which one is safest
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Please don't start a new thread when they are they already of the same subject matter.
    Just go to this CPU scaling thread.
  4.    #4  
    The description of the patches all say OBSOLETE, PLEASE REMOVE IT. It is now known as Dangerous
    There's only so many right now because of a bunch being made obsolete, mainly to make it more explicit that the patches can be dangerous.

There's really only 4 options.

• CPU Scaling 600mHz - dynamically clocks the Pre from 250mHz to 600mHz based on load.
    • CPU Scaling 500mHz - dynamically clocks the Pre from 250mHz to 500mHz based on load.
    • SmartReflex 600mHz - sets the Pre CPU to a constant 600mHz, but enables SmartReflex, a set of technologies from TI to lower voltage whenever possible and save battery.
    • SmartReflex 500mHz - sets the Pre CPU to a constant 500mHz and enables SmartReflex.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    There's only so many right now because of a bunch being made obsolete, mainly to make it more explicit that the patches can be dangerous.

• CPU Scaling 600mHz - dynamically clocks the Pre from 250mHz to 600mHz based on load.
    • CPU Scaling 500mHz - dynamically clocks the Pre from 250mHz to 500mHz based on load.
    • SmartReflex 600mHz - sets the Pre CPU to a constant 600mHz, but enables SmartReflex, a set of technologies from TI to lower voltage whenever possible and save battery.
    • SmartReflex 500mHz - sets the Pre CPU to a constant 500mHz and enables SmartReflex.
    are they dangerous?
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

7.    #7  
    Well preware displays 4 CPU Scaling patches and 4 SmartReflex patches, making a total of 8. This will confuse people and make this dangerous for people who dont know much about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    are they dangerous?
    Edited my post above for you.

Nicely stated.
    I'm running Smartflex 600. Working fine for me. I do have to say that I had to deside if I was willing to give 600 a shot with the understanding that I might have to Doctor it or get lucky.

This is a test of those that take chances and don't have a problem with crash and burn... There will be those that play it safest and do nothing, which is fine. Those that feel they can take some risk and want some control and go for the 500mhz tweak. Then the nuts like me that get a thrill out of risk and go for the 600mhz.
  10.    #10  
    Well I hope they clean up the excesive amount of patches that are right now.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I am currently running smartflex 600. it does seem alittle faster in some casses but then sometimes i feel that it stals for a sec. but i think the staling i am having is from another problem that i had with sms tone per contact (patch) not the smartflex. i am also concerned about the problem of having it as their are talks about cpu scaling being dangerous. and keeping in mind these arnt really well established patches yet. so as the guy above me said and as precentral says its a risk thing. either way im going to have to doctor my pre sometime soon to fix this sms tone per contact problem im having.
    Wondering about this. I installed the smartreflex 600 and it's been stable.
    What's was really confusing is that the updates did not come from the original poster but from "webosinternals"(?).
    I'll leave mine alone for now.

Some more "official" clarification on one of the site to go with all the "updates" and additions would be nice.
    I saw nothing on any of the sites or twitter feeds.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

wouldn't CPU Scaling also saving battery since it drops the cpu speed based on its use? maybe i'm not understanding this completely....

first and foremost, i want to have better battery life and have no need to bump the cpu up the extra 100mhz....quite honestly, i'd even rather have it run at 400mhz max, if that meant even better battery life....

what would make the most sense for me then? i think "SmartReflex 500mhz" ...
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Think Ill wait till these all get cleared out a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by antmon1 View Post
    wouldn't CPU Scaling also saving battery since it drops the cpu speed based on its use? maybe i'm not understanding this completely....

first and foremost, i want to have better battery life and have no need to bump the cpu up the extra 100mhz....quite honestly, i'd even rather have it run at 400mhz max, if that meant even better battery life....

what would make the most sense for me then? i think "SmartReflex 500mhz"
    This is what I ended up doing.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    and i take it you are not having any crashes, phone not booting, etc etc etc issues?

not sure how long you've had this patch running but have you noticed any increased battery life?

thanks.
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i'm noticing a much faster Pre, no freezes or crashes and power consumption cut in half in a completely idle state sitting on my desk. this is the best patch ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by antmon1 View Post
    and i take it you are not having any crashes, phone not booting, etc etc etc issues?

not sure how long you've had this patch running but have you noticed any increased battery life?

thanks.
    So far its seems stable no lag like I was experiencing with the 600 mhz patches...as far as batter life increase..or decrease...I'll report back tomorrow on it.

Do the versions matter? (1.3.1-18,19,20 etc) I noticed that the "dangerous" version of SmartReflex is 1.3.1-18 but there are "newer" 1.3.1-19 1.3.1-20 patches avaliable but marked obsolete.
    If you aren't sure, try the different mechanisms (CPU scaling OR SR) and overclocking or not (600 vs 500) by command line first. That way, if things get hosed, you don't have to panic and Doctor your phone. A reboot will reset them.

See here: Patch webOS CPU Frequency or Voltage Scaling - WebOS Internals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast