• Powersave Smartreflex other MHz

4 1.69%
  • Undecided

48 20.34%
  • I don't think its wise to scale CPU

18 7.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just wanted to poll you guys to see which scaling method is being used.

Thanks
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    I actually modified it to go from 225mhz to 550mhz.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    id b careful i perm bricked mine due to the 600 scaling one
    Technically SmartReflex isn't really CPU scaling, but I get what you mean.

There's actually one last option not included in the poll, and that's clipcarl's script that only scales the Pre when the screen is off that is in this post.

People should also post what kind of improved battery life they're getting from each patch. Personally, it seems to me that SmartReflex-500mHz gives me around 2-3 extra hours on the low end, to much higher than that, based on my usage for the day.
  5.    #5  
    I think some of these are still available on preware. But DONT download the OBSELETE ones.
    ***I Twitter***

6.    #6  
    Wow, i really don't get how smartflex is better and/or more popular than cpu scaling.

is smartflex more of a battery saving bc of the voltage changes? I thought cpu scaling would save more battery when its idle and less wear n' tear on the processor.
    ***I Twitter***

seems like smartreflex has less issues with bricking from what i have seen in posts.
    no i think you just did not try hard enough to fix it lol many others have gotten their phone messed up with these patches and fixed it themselves or with help from others in the forums
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Wow, i really don't get how smartflex is better and/or more popular than cpu scaling.

is smartflex more of a battery saving bc of the voltage changes? I thought cpu scaling would save more battery when its idle and less wear n' tear on the processor.
    this smartreflex patch uses no power at all from what i can see when the phone is offf....

all be it when its on man it bleeds power ha ha ha but its fast too . i like it lol
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Guess I'm one of the few who's had more problems with the smartflex patch and none with the CPU scaling (so far). When I installed the smartflex, my Pre locked up constantly and I received the "too many cards open" error consistently with anything more than 3 cards.

Since installing the CPU patch, it appers to be faster, seems like better battery life and not a single lockup or "too many cards" error (knock on wood).

For both patches, I used the 600 mhz
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    this smartreflex patch uses no power at all from what i can see when the phone is offf....

all be it when its on man it bleeds power ha ha ha but its fast too . i like it lol
    least damaging on processor?
    ***I Twitter***

I chose the 500Mhz scaling, but I didn't apply the actual patch, I did the manual commands so that if something glitches I can power cycle and have it all go away. Of course, if I like it I'll need to redo it whenever I do a reboot. Not sure if a Luna restart will kill it or if it requires a full reboot.

So far the only downside is some flickering in video playback; audio is fine and I've got 3 web browsers, notes, Agenda, preader, and terminal open with no specific issues.

Personally, I think that some form of scaling (voltage or frequency) will be an eventual feature in webOS for the battery life, but I expect it will likely take a more advanced system, possibly one that is application aware. I'd be surprised if it appeared before WebOS 2.0 since it'll require some significant infrastructure. Let's face it, Intel and AMD have been kicking around dynamic performance control systems for several years and only recently have they been good enough to make a difference to power consumption without having a real impact on performance.

I'm not sure that pushing the clock over 500Mhz is a great idea though. Yeah, I know in theory the chip should be able to do it, but I've been burned enough when "should" and "in theory" slam head first into the brick wall of "reality." I'd really recommend people try the 500Mhz versions of the patches first to make sure you aren't going to have problems with either of the systems.

After all, that speed is actually a hassle if you do have a serious problem. There are ways to uninstall the patch manually via novacomd but the amount of time you have before the system flakes out would be less for 600Mhz than 500Mhz because a) the system is running hotter cutting down the workable time and b) the system is booting faster and spawning processes faster giving you even less time.
    Last edited by kigmatzomat; 11/23/2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: idea
    To avoid flickering in playback you can just clock down to 550 MHz. To do this just open a terminal on your Pre or SSH in and edit /etc/event.d/powersave-cpu-scaling. The first line after script sets the max frequency. Just set it to 550000 then reboot and you'll still be faster than stock, but no video flicker.
    Usering Smartflex 600. I'll have to give it a few days to see what battery looks like, that's really what I'm interested in. I might try Smartflex 500 if the battery life is any worse.

Going through the OS, I"m not really noticing a marked speed improvement, with one major exception--the web browser. Page render is MUCH faster now.
    Im on smartreflex 500 because I am a little wary of bricking with the 600. I had the 600 on to start and had absolutely no issues for the 2 hours it was installed. I have noticed a really big reduction in the power drain during idle times with the smartreflex 500 so I am fairly happy... thinking about that extra speed though.
    I gotta say, I don't think your average Preware user should be using these patches. There are already several reports of permanently bricked Pre's.

I'm a computer engineer, so I know a little about what these two patches are doing. That said, I'm not touching either one. I simply do not want to increase the chances of crashes or premature death. To each his own, though, so good luck to those who are using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    does bumping up the mhz increase the radiation output?
  18. Ryo
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    there are not eneugh infos about these patches.. so i dont patch.

but a energy save patch without OC will be nice.
    Wow, surprised so many people are taking the risk with the 600Mhz patch considering that the 500Mhz is much safer
    I put on the 500 MHz Smartfile patch (I've been at this for a number of decades too, and thought the 600 MHz patches might be a bit of a safety stretch.) I experienced several hangs after the pre went to sleep and woke this morning with my pre on the touchstone and the clock reading 10:58 pm. I have removed the patch. Sure would be nice to save some power, but not at the expense of a responsive phone/pda.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast