Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hi All,

I installed the SmartReflex patch this morning and it does provide a noticeable increase in performance. One word of caution however, after the patch installed and the pre rebooted, I opened the launcher and the pre hung. No response to any input, screen, power button, etc. Had to do a hard reset (pull the battery), but since the hard reset the pre has been running without any issues and noticeably faster... The patch is also supposed to enable power management code that is disabled out-of-the-box... we'll see if it actually makes difference in battery life over the next week...

Enjoy!
    Where is the patch located?
    The patch is in preware...if you list all patches by date...it should be about the 5th or so down.

There are two patches for OCing (really just setting cpu to default clock speed), I also used the "smartreflex" patch, and unlike a few others, I did not have a hang, where a hard reboot was requited. My pre is noticibly faster, particulary the calender app.
    Thanks Breakinghbts I'm looking now. Also I see your from West Warwick I'm from East Providence nice to see a fellow Rhode Islander in the forums.
    I still can't seem to find it
    I'm not sure how you have preware setup...but you may need to refresh the feeds (it says update feeds or something in the main menu)...also are you using webos 1.3.1? It might be for 1.3 only.

Good 'Ol EP, eh? I lived there for many years when I was a kid. I agree...for a small state there are sure alot of us PRE users around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joescan09 View Post
    I still can't seem to find it
    go to preware, and tap the top left, and update your feeds. After that, go to patches, and then All, you will see it
    Yeah I'm updating the feeds now and also I am running 1.3.1
    *Also it is more like the 9th and 10th patch on the list when listed by date. Many people have reported issues and having to doctor their pre's when using the CPU scaling patch...so I would stick with the smartflex. My $.02 anyway.
    I found it just had to update the feeds. Which one should I go with CPU scaling or Smartreflex?
    You answered my questions before I posted it.
    Yea...it seems based on what I've read, that the smartflex is the more stable patch. Most definately makes a difference in the PREs speed. Don't forget to reboot, and then let us all know how well it worked for you...and if you noticed a speed increase.
    I found it just had to update the feeds. Which one should I go with CPU scaling or Smartreflex?

Smart reflex....BUT just to be safe, after you install it, shut your pre down, and wait for 30 seconds, and then power it back on...
    All set Installed and rebooted. No hangups or need to pull the battery after reboot seems to be running strong can't say I notice a huge performance increase but I'll keep my eye on it and see what happens.
    All set Installed and rebooted. No hangups or need to pull the battery after reboot seems to be running strong can't say I notice a huge performance increase but I'll keep my eye on it and see what happens.
    Test the Email (see how fast email opens - should be 1-2 seconds)...also test calendar and cards.
    Pre is going to be faster because the CPU speed is overclocked, or specifically clocked depending on who you ask. Faster CPU = faster Pre. Faster cpu means more battery drain though.

There's a reason the Pre is currently clocked at 500. Tests of the CPU have shown that the 600 clock speed substantiously reduces the life of the CPU. Your risk...

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Here is a list of times it takes to open programs (Times done with stop watch)

*SmartReflex*
    1. Contacts - 2.804
    2. E-Mail - 2.837
    3. Calender - 3.057
    4. Messaging - 3.094
    5. Camera - 2.060
    6. Photo's 3.168
    7. Web - 2.487

*CPU Scaling Patch*
    1. Contacts - 2.922
    2. E-Mail - 2.659
    3. Calender - 3.117
    4. Messaging - 2.907
    5. Camera - 2.736
    6. Photo's 3.397
    7. Web - 2.869

*Stock CPU*
    1. Contacts - 3.288
    2. E-Mail - 3.340
    3. Calender - 3.741
    4. Messaging - 3.392
    5. Camera - 4.083
    6. Photo's 3.424
    7. Web - 2.994
    Last edited by Joescan09; 11/22/2009 at 11:23 AM.
    I'm impressed the numbers are all lower with the patch
    Last edited by Joescan09; 11/22/2009 at 11:11 AM.
    Would be nice if someone else also tested there pre to compare the two devices.
    Last edited by Joescan09; 11/22/2009 at 11:11 AM.
    ok so with the SmartReflex every program opens up a little bit faster. Good enough for me I'll stick with the patch and see how my battery life changes.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast