Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Does anybody have any estimates about the relative improvement in battery life? Anybody have these installed long enough to comment on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmbriefs View Post
    Does anybody have any estimates about the relative improvement in battery life? Anybody have these installed long enough to comment on that?
    The problem is that it can vary wildly depending on the usage of your Pre.

If you run either the smartreflex or cpu scaling patches that set your max CPU speed to 500mhz, you will see a significant improvement in battery life with either one, but no increase in performance. There is no question about this, and the largest battery life gains will be in your standby time, rather than talk or other active use.

With the 600mhz versions, you will see a significant increase in performance, and a significant increase in standby time, but an equally significant DECREASE in battery life while under heavy use because you'll be overclocking the CPU to 600mhz. Whether this results in a net gain or net loss of battery life is infinitely variable depending on how you use your phone.

The risks involved in overclocking the CPU of the Pre to 600mhz or enabling these features, while real, are quite small because we're only talking about features that are built into the CPU but not used by WebOS. I say take the TINY risk, install one, and see how it does for you. If you don't like it, remove it and try the other.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I totally understand and agree with what you are saying. I'm mostly interested in increasing the battery life without having to turn off features- so I'd like to patch to the 500 mHz to avoid any other issues.

What I'm curious about the relative change in battery life with the different patches. I understand it's different depending on usage, but each individual should maintain there usage.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmbriefs View Post
    not necessarily in hours but....

before smartreflex 600 i would drain about 8%/hour at work (bad reception area)
    today w/ smartreflex it was 3.8%/hour.

that was sitting idle, screen off, no calls, sms, email. i'll run more tests.
    I really want to try these patches but I bought my Pre within the first week it was on sale. I have been scouring these posts to see how many people bough their Pres at the very beginning and whether they had success or problems with these patches, but most people have not indicated when they bought their Pre. Are there many of you out there who bought a Pre in the first few days and are having success? I really do not want to Brick my Pre. I know the doctor is out there but I am too dependent on my Pre to take that chance.

Please post when you got your Pre and especially if you were among the first please post when and how it went.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfrock66 View Post
    Test your BT headphones. After uninstalling it, they still didn't work for me. Want to know if I'm the only one.
    BT still works fine here.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ravsteve View Post
    I really want to try these patches but I bought my Pre within the first week it was on sale. I have been scouring these posts to see how many people bough their Pres at the very beginning and whether they had success or problems with these patches, but most people have not indicated when they bought their Pre. Are there many of you out there who bought a Pre in the first few days and are having success? I really do not want to Brick my Pre. I know the doctor is out there but I am too dependent on my Pre to take that chance.

Please post when you got your Pre and especially if you were among the first please post when and how it went.

Thanks!
    I got my Pre the day it came out. I installed the first CPU Scaling patch without any problem then decided to switch to the SmartReflex patch. Those two are now considered 'obsolete' so I switched to the SmartReflex 600 in the 'Dangerous' category in Preware... when I did that and rebooted, my Pre froze after the Palm logo flashed a few times during boot-up. I pulled my battery to reboot, got the same thing, pulled the battery again and that time it booted all the way up. haven't had any problems since.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravsteve View Post

Thanks!
    I got my Pre the first week, but exchanged it within the 30 days, so mine could be a later batch.

I installed the PowerSave Smartreflex 600 patch last night and bricked it originally...

I think it might have been due to being really low on battery, so I was able to remove the patch, let it charge overnight and reinstalled it this morning.

It drained the battery really fast, like under 15% within 3 hours, I got the battery monitor and it read a 22% drain per hour. Now i did use it a lot this morning since I wanted to test the battery. I was texting a lot, had Twee Running, pandora open, and mail. It is definitely quicker than before when you open apps! But will test the battery later on tonight and see how that stacks up

I may change to the CPU scaling to test if that does anything to battery life. Thats the one thing that bothers me the most. I dont consider myself a heavy user, but I do text a lot and surf the net when in class and I usually have to charge it twice a day... I should just get an extended battery I suppose!
    I have had the patch installed 2 full days now my pre runs great no problems or lock ups.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nycwbyfan View Post
    I got my Pre the first week, but exchanged it within the 30 days, so mine could be a later batch.

I installed the PowerSave Smartreflex 600 patch last night and bricked it originally...

I think it might have been due to being really low on battery, so I was able to remove the patch, let it charge overnight and reinstalled it this morning.

It drained the battery really fast, like under 15% within 3 hours, I got the battery monitor and it read a 22% drain per hour. Now i did use it a lot this morning since I wanted to test the battery. I was texting a lot, had Twee Running, pandora open, and mail. It is definitely quicker than before when you open apps! But will test the battery later on tonight and see how that stacks up

I may change to the CPU scaling to test if that does anything to battery life. Thats the one thing that bothers me the most. I dont consider myself a heavy user, but I do text a lot and surf the net when in class and I usually have to charge it twice a day... I should just get an extended battery I suppose!
    or maybe just pay attention in class
    Ok i ran into a problem and I'm not sure what patch is causing it. So i installed the new Smartreflex600 patch and un installed the original one. The phone is running fine with the new patch but when i try to use My Tether the newer version with the wifi patch the phone locks up. I'll reboot and it keeps locking up every time it boots. If I due get past the lock up on boot it will lock up when in the tether program. I'm trying to figure out if these two patch's don't agree with each other.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    just posted a little review of the patch here: CPU Scaling Patch or The SmartFlex Patch: Which one is for you? | The Mx Web . It also compares this patch with cpu scaling patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by focuspre View Post
    or maybe just pay attention in class
    Nah! Thats the easy way out! I like seeing seeing what my phone can do!
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    not necessarily in hours but....

before smartreflex 600 i would drain about 8%/hour at work (bad reception area)
    today w/ smartreflex it was 3.8%/hour.

that was sitting idle, screen off, no calls, sms, email. i'll run more tests.
    when your using the web browser or trapster or anything demanding power it flies with this patch but you better have a charger cable if your on it for a while lol ,but on the bright side of it when its idle it does not use hardly anything. and i dont need an app to tell you that lol . smartreflex 600 patch
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    The Powersave Smartreflex 600MHz patch "has been WITHDRAWN (their caps) due to reports of stability problems. Please remove it".

That's the message I got just now when I saw an update notice on Preware. It appears one can still install it though...[EDIT:The install button still appears, and it seems to be installing when you push it, but it only returns an error mssg]

I doctored my phone four times today trying to get My Tether 2.0.4 to not freeze when rebooting after removing the "wifi patch" it now installs while tethering. The program worked, but each time it removed the patch (necessary if you want your camera to work again), upon reboot it would freeze at "palm". Reboots any other time (like after doctoring and applying wifi patch) were successful.

The only other freeze on reboot I had (since launch day) was a couple of days ago when I installed the Powersave Smartreflex 600MHz patch.
    Only one other My Tether user that I know of has had a similar problem with My Tether as myself, and he had the 600 patch installed as well.

The worse part is that the 4 Doctor visits didn't help. The Pre still freezes at "palm" when rebooting after removing the My Tether wifi patch. This is of course, with no other patches of any kind installed, especially the Smartreflex 600.

At this point I have to conclude that the Powersave Smartreflex 600MHz patch has permanently altered my Pre.
    Last edited by galavanter; 11/25/2009 at 06:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Performance and battery life were decent for me with the Smartreflex 600 patch, but rebooting the device became a 50/50 chance as to whether or not it would lock up, so I removed it.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    The Powersave Smartreflex 600MHz patch "has been WITHDRAWN (their caps) due to reports of stability problems. Please remove it".
    That's unfortunate. I had 0 problems with the 600 patch. Since ignoring the "update" would get annoying I went ahead and removed it and installed the 500 instead. We'll see if there is any change in performance.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    After installing the Powersave Smartreflex 600 patch several days ago, every now and then my touchscreen doesn't respond to my touch the first time. I noticed this when i was playing the bubbles game. Its kinda frustrating. Other than that, it runs flawless. I'm debating on uninstalling and switching to the 500 patch to see if it clears up.
    I have a launch day Pre, and haven't seen any issues with SmartReflex 500, except for a very cold Pre when idle.
    I get full bars at home and typically see a 3.5-4% drain in battery while in standby (per BatteryMonitor). Last night with SmartReflex 500 installed BatteryMonitor recorded a 1.4% drain per hour while in standby mode
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast