Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I just installed the current Smartflex 500 and no freeze on restart and BT headphones are working fine. Curious to see how this day goes...
    I installed the sf 500 (older version) unistalled to the newer sf 600 version, jagged card movement and lagging when opening up cards, unistalled sf 600 and installed newer version of sf 500 and everthing is fine now. Tested my BT with my 903's, works fine.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    i have as well installed the smartflex 600 updated version after unistalling the previous and i have not had any issues the phone is faser and less choppy make sure when you unistall the previous version you restart then applying the new verison you restart I also have restarted luna and java after i installed the patch and have not had any freezing issues at all. Also remember the smartflex is embedded into the chipset thats in the pre all your doing is enabling it, though the scalling might cause freezing because your telling the CPU to clock at a different speed then what it was intended to I would not use that patch and that will proboly be scaled once the GPU is enabled on the pre and pixi
    yeah, i did not reboot after removing older version of sf 500 and installer sf 600. Will try that.
    There seems to be a little bit of confusion in this thread.

SmartReflex does not scale the speed of the processor--it adjusts the voltages on the chip based on several different factors, but the processor continues to run at the same speed.

CPU Scaling does scale the speed of the processor.

Unless something has changed, the two patches cannot be run at the same time.

Edit: it appears I may be somewhat incorrect about that. SmartReflex may scale the frequency of the processor, but it is different from the scaling in CPU Scaling, and the two are in conflict.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 11/23/2009 at 03:25 PM.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    in preware it says the patch is obsolete and ''dangerous'' ... Can some1 explain please
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Wouldn't it make more sense for the smartreflex to slow the processor when it's shut off, too? Or does that make too much sense?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Also, Snap. They did add an obsolete category. Lol.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edbtzy View Post
    in preware it says the patch is obsolete and ''dangerous'' ... Can some1 explain please

I need help understanding this too??
    where can i download the older version that most people talk about
    would i find ti here?
    Index of /feeds/webos-patches/1.3.1
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I've been using smartreflex since yesterday and it does seem to be performing better and it seems actually to be running cooler for me. Normally after some time of streaming music it would be very warm/bordering on hot but now it feels barely warm.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    And I should note this is with nodoze turned on.
    Well, I seem to have goofed something up. I originally installed the Powersave - SmartReflex patch, but then manually modified /etc/event.d/powersave-smartreflex to run at 500MHz instead of 600MHz. So when I went to remove it, I got an ipkg error. No biggie, I just deleted the file manually, installed the new patch, rebooted, and all is well, except that Preware thinks I have both patches installed. Is there any way to tell Preware that a patch is not installed?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    There seems to be a little bit of confusion in this thread.

SmartReflex does not scale the speed of the processor--it adjusts the voltages on the chip based on several different factors, but the processor continues to run at the same speed.

CPU Scaling does scale the speed of the processor.

Unless something has changed, the two patches cannot be run at the same time.

According to the TI website:
    SmartReflex technologies are a broad range of intelligent and adaptive hardware and software techniques that dynamically control voltage, frequency and power based on device activity, modes of operation and temperature.
    I would assume this patch enables the "Smartreflex" features that TI built into the OMAP 3430. You can read above where it says that SmartReflex dynamically controls the frequency, which means the speed of the processor. I am thinking SmartReflex does indeed scale the speed of the CPU, but I am just going by a TI press release. I could very well be wrong.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MongarEric View Post
    According to the TI website:

I would assume this patch enables the "Smartreflex" features that TI built into the OMAP 3430. You can read above where it says that SmartReflex dynamically controls the frequency, which means the speed of the processor. I am thinking SmartReflex does indeed scale the speed of the CPU, but I am just going by a TI press release. I could very well be wrong.
    FWIW:

Code:
    root@palm-webos-device:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats# cat time_in_state
    600000 2018406
    550000 551
    500000 288
    250000 0
    125000 0
    So I have spent *some* time in other states, but not very much.
    It's possible that it does change the processor frequency under normal circumstances, but if it does so on the Pre, there isn't any evidence of it. And if it does so on the Pre, it does it in a way that is quite distinct from the CPU scaling that is enabled by the CPU scaling patch.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    That's interesting, the electrical engineer in me really wants to figure out what exactly is going on with SmartReflex, as it seems frequency scaling is a very minor (pretty much negligible) part of it. I guess the chip will turn off parts of itself that aren't being used (that means the GPU core isn't running, haha). Thanks for the info, though. Now I need to read up on how dual gate lengths reduces leakage.
    Well, I seem to have goofed something up. I originally installed the Powersave - SmartReflex patch, but then manually modified /etc/event.d/powersave-smartreflex to run at 500MHz instead of 600MHz. So when I went to remove it, I got an ipkg error. No biggie, I just deleted the file manually, installed the new patch, rebooted, and all is well, except that Preware thinks I have both patches installed. Is there any way to tell Preware that a patch is not installed?
    For anyone who is having this problem, here is how I fixed it: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post1994414
    That's interesting, the electrical engineer in me really wants to figure out what exactly is going on with SmartReflex, as it seems frequency scaling is a very minor (pretty much negligible) part of it. I guess the chip will turn off parts of itself that aren't being used (that means the GPU core isn't running, haha). Thanks for the info, though. Now I need to read up on how dual gate lengths reduces leakage.
    You might want to check out this thread--not much chip details, but there is good information on what has been done on the Pre: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-new-post.html

Actually, now that I think about it, this may be the best explanation for why CPU Scaling and SmartReflex running together crash the Pre: perhaps SmartReflex DOES scale the frequency and it conflicts with the CPU Scaling from the user space (because it's doing it differently). So perhaps it really is scaling, just not in a way that is user-accessible.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    You might want to check out this thread--not much chip details, but there is good information on what has been done on the Pre: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-new-post.html

Actually, now that I think about it, this may be the best explanation for why CPU Scaling and SmartReflex running together crash the Pre: perhaps SmartReflex DOES scale the frequency and it conflicts with the CPU Scaling from the user space (because it's doing it differently). So perhaps it really is scaling, just not in a way that is user-accessible.
    I did notice that smartreflex uses a userspace governor instead of ondemand like scaling does.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I just installed smartflex 600. There is a huge speed increase when using Music(remix). I have around 300 songs on it, all with album art. The albums art loads much faster now.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast