Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Another install here without a hitch. Too cautious to say it's improved overall speed, although the data provided would indicate that it does. Too early to check battery retention on idle times. But it seems stable so I'll give it a try.
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by s1moore View Post
    Tried that. Removed every patch EXCEPT SmartReflex. Any other ideas or do I need to wipe the phone and start everything over?
    Try using webOS Quick Install to delete the file /etc/event.d/powersave-smartreflex.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    installed it a few hours ago. No issues so far. Wow the camera is fast now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    With the scaling in mind, this is certainly still a USE AT YOUR OWN RISK type patch. Anytime you're dealing with adjusting CPU speeds, that disclaimer should always be kept in mind. However, let's not scare people.
    I agree with that, but most users who implement patches just look at the description or even the title of a patch. When they see "powersave" or "increase your speed", they just download it without learning the repercussions. Especially when dealing with the hardware modifications.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Will the SmartReflex 500mhz patch also lower the CPU like the scaling patch? If not, what is the point of the 500mhz smartreflex patch?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Palm is well aware of the patching community. If they felt like this was going to cause some huge hardware disaster, I have a feeling they'd come out and advise against it.
    its been acouple of hours with the patch. My pre is running strong it feels quicker and I like it. I'll keep the patch applied as long as it continues to work properly.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    im definitely waiting until a 500 version is uploaded to preware feeds (my webqi is acting odd of id just use the one jhoff posted)

has anyone sent this thread to engadget/gizmodo/gdgt/palm's twitter yet, so we can shine a spotlight on it and see what we see? if a site like that--engadget especially, which loves this phone--talks about the ability to overclock it, then palm will DEFINITELY come out and say something cut and dry IF it is a guaranteed fubar situation
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    im definitely waiting until a 500 version is uploaded to preware feeds (my webqi is acting odd of id just use the one jhoff posted)

has anyone sent this thread to engadget/gizmodo/gdgt/palm's twitter yet, so we can shine a spotlight on it and see what we see? if a site like that--engadget especially, which loves this phone--talks about the ability to overclock it, then palm will DEFINITELY come out and say something cut and dry IF it is a guaranteed fubar situation
    I sent a tip in to Derek.. hopefully he writes a news article about this. I feel it's news worthy at least..
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    This mod has been around since the Pre was released basically. It's just now been implemented into a patch though. There has been regular (without overclock) powersave patches submitted to dBsooner for him to post to Preware.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    This mod has been around since the Pre was released basically. It's just now been implemented into a patch though. There has been regular (without overclock) powersave patches submitted to dBsooner for him to post to Preware.
    Agreed. SmartReflex is a lot more stable now, from my experience though.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Guys, I won't worry so much about the doom and gloom reports. Shouldn't be a big deal. If it does die prematurely there's always Palm warranty or Insurance. Your Pre is probably more likely to die from other causes I wish there was a way to clock my to 700!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I tried both already, but I settling with the CPU scaling one. Here are my personal observations/opinion.

1) Early life bc of higher cpu speed: If this did happen, theres warranty and sprint insurance plan. Its not like either case they would be able to check how your phone died.
    2) This patch reduces speed to 250 when Pre screen is off VS the stock 'on all the time 500mhz'. Meaning, you are probly PROLONGING your pre's life since when its off its now at half the stock speeds. And lets face, the pre spends more time off then on for most people.
    3) In conjuction with #2, when it is on and its running at 600 vs 500, that extra 100 mhz for whatever amount of time it is that you run it, will be completely negated by the savings from when the phone is off at 250.
    4) The other patch may have a voltage regulator and all to save battery, but it still running at 500 or 600 all the time, so I doubt it is truly any better at all than the CPU scaling patch in any respect (battery or longevity of chip), I would 'guess' its actually worse in both aspects.

I have been using the app (Battery Monitor) and it is showing great battery life so far in standby and under normal usage.

Anywho, these are my thoughts
    What's up with all the late night updates? Check Preware. It's a bit confusing. They are now in a category all their own called "Dangerous".
    Last edited by galavanter; 11/23/2009 at 04:19 AM.
    Interesting points all. I have to sit on the sidelines here but I would be interested in others opinions on CPU Scaling vs Smartreflex. I went with the Smartreflex because some others here, whose opinion I respect, did the same.

Also, to the naysayers, remember the words of Dr. Tyrell, "The candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you burned very, very brightly Roy."

Quote Originally Posted by louboy23 View Post
    I tried both already, but I settling with the CPU scaling one. Here are my personal observations/opinion.

1) Early life bc of higher cpu speed: If this did happen, theres warranty and sprint insurance plan. Its not like either case they would be able to check how your phone died.
    2) This patch reduces speed to 250 when Pre screen is off VS the stock 'on all the time 500mhz'. Meaning, you are probly PROLONGING your pre's life since when its off its now at half the stock speeds. And lets face, the pre spends more time off then on for most people.
    3) In conjuction with #2, when it is on and its running at 600 vs 500, that extra 100 mhz for whatever amount of time it is that you run it, will be completely negated by the savings from when the phone is off at 250.
    4) The other patch may have a voltage regulator and all to save battery, but it still running at 500 or 600 all the time, so I doubt it is truly any better at all than the CPU scaling patch in any respect (battery or longevity of chip), I would 'guess' its actually worse in both aspects.

I have been using the app (Battery Monitor) and it is showing great battery life so far in standby and under normal usage.

Anywho, these are my thoughts
    I installed Smartflex. The phone started freezing up, specifically when I had bluetooth enabled. It wouldn't stay working long enough to get BT disabled. I finally got lucky and it kept it together long enough to kill BT, then I was able to uninstall the patch. But now, with it uninstalled, A2DP is completely dead, I get nothing. It shows the phone is connected both for Phone and A2DP, but there's no sound whatsoever. I have never taken the phone to the doc before, but it's about to be time unless anyone has any suggestions.

Again, exact sequence:
    1) Install patch last thing last night before going to bed, rebooted phone
    2) Wake up fine, with phone as my alarm.
    3) Enable bluetooth to listen to a podcast on my way to work today.
    4) Phone freezes
    5) About 6 cycles of "pull battery, boot, try to disable BT, freeze"
    6) Disable bluetooth, uninstall patch, reboot phone
    7) No bluetooth sound.
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
    I ALSO INSTALLED THIS TO GET A FREEZING PHONE. my bluetooth was enabled. don't know if that have anything to do with it or not. i was lucky enough to get to preware after the 2 battery pull and get if off.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    I ALSO INSTALLED THIS TO GET A FREEZING PHONE. my bluetooth was enabled. don't know if that have anything to do with it or not. i was lucky enough to get to preware after the 2 battery pull and get if off.
    Test your BT headphones. After uninstalling it, they still didn't work for me. Want to know if I'm the only one.
    Root to your Pre in Ubuntu: http://www.surfrock66.com/?p=600
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast