Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    A Wikipedia post that references an IRC chat room log isn't enough for me to believe that.

If TI came out and said something that would be a different story.
    Precisely. Not to mention as I stated, the patch also scales the CPU so when idle it's running at lower frequencies anyway... Plus we've got Sprint on our side to replace it should something go wrong, right?

So far I'm noticing some nice speed gains with the patch. I won't know about battery life until I go through a "normal" day tomorrow though I'm not expecting much of a difference.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    so, are we expecting 5-10-15-20-25-30% loss in lifetime for the pre, or which number is it?
    Any chance of a Reflex patch that will only go up to 550 Mhz for those of us worried about shortening the CPU lifespan running at 600 MHz?
    My guess is that heat would reduce the lifespan. Feel the back of the phone and decide if it gets hotter. If not, then there probably isn't an issue. I overclock the snot out of my quad core and no problems whatsoever. Only heat would be the determining factor of CPU life.. in my opinion.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    @ericizzy1 No one knows the current life span of the OMAP3430 but TI and phone companies using the CPU.. No one can say for sure. The patch does scale the CPU to lower speeds when idle though. I wouldn't be too worried about it anyway. Especially if your the type of person interested in having bleeding edge hardware. For instance, if Pre 2 comes out next year and you're offered an upgrade and possibly a credit from Sprint would you take it? If yes, the decreased lifespan is negligible to you.

@jrcbandit You can adjust the "Max Speed" setting. Again, I wouldn't worry about it though. If you do feel uncomfortable and want to lower it to say 550MHz you have the option. Don't ask me how to do it though.

@Weaser999 You are correct. Heat kills CPU. Higher clock speeds increase heat. There are other factors like stability to consider when "overclocking" but technically we're not overclocking it as 600MHz is the default. The Pre is just underclocked to 500. Whether this was done to save battery life or keep the CPU from getting too hot is something I'm not sure of. If the latter is true then the lifespan would be reduced.

This isn't a concern to me though because I'm one of those bleeding edge people so if Palms next release is as intriguing as the Pre was, I'll make sure I have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    My guess is that heat would reduce the lifespan. Feel the back of the phone and decide if it gets hotter. If not, then there probably isn't an issue. I overclock the snot out of my quad core and no problems whatsoever. Only heat would be the determining factor of CPU life.. in my opinion.
    There was an interesting article written by a Professor of Thermal Dynamics at MIT on the effects of heat on processors due to overclocking and you know what he found, although heat degrades a processor, it requires extreme heat.

A temperature so hot that you would not be able to hold the device and then the degradation of the processor will only be about 10% to 15% in lifespan. Heat does not impair the processors ability to compute over it's lifespan.

Another factor besides heat is time, or a combination of heat + time. Time in the terms of the processor running at an overclocked state for years (decades).

Since the Pre's processor is rated to run normally at 600mhz this isn't really overclocking the processor. The only thing in the device that may suffer is battery life.

The real enemy of any device or processor is moisture and unstable electrical currents.
    im using the smartflex patch ,and while i am using the pre like on the web its faster and all but the battery does seem to drop a little faster ,but when its idle it seems to hold its power more as well . its a fair trade in my opinion anyways
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    That's the beauty of CPU scaling! Now just imagine when webOS introduces support for the GPU.. we're going to have a pretty quick phone if couple with this patch!
    ok. . . What if went ahead and modified the patch data and set it to 700mhz or 650. . . Would it work??. . . . I might try it since I need to change my phone. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by jusegozu View Post
    ok. . . What if went ahead and modified the patch data and set it to 700mhz or 650. . . Would it work??. . . . I might try it since I need to change my phone. . .
    Nope, 600 is the max.
    My "how fast does the calculator app open" test shows a noticeable improvement.

I posted recently that 1.3.1 knocked about 2 seconds off the previous (agonizingly slow) 5 second opening time.

After installing this patch it is opening in just slightly over two seconds. Thanks op for starting my day off with a boost.
    by Cnet website the droid use the same CPU .This is a line of one of the paragraph .(The smartphone will be powered by a 550MHz processor and a 1,400mAh lithium ion battery offering 6.4 hours of continuous talk time and up to 11 days of standby time.)so the same processor ,but rate it a slower speed.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    So I went ahead and tried to install this. However halfway through the install I got the "Too many cards open" error (none were open btw) and it exited the process. Now it's showing the patch as installed although it obviously isn't, and it won't let me un-install with the script failing. Any advice?
    I would say try the Emergency Patch Repair...and start all over....
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Tried that. Removed every patch EXCEPT SmartReflex. Any other ideas or do I need to wipe the phone and start everything over?
    look at it all this way. Say you have to travel 100 miles somewhere. @100mph it takes well 1hr. @50mph it takes twice as long..2hr. now do you do 50mph cause you have time to kill or go for 100mph cause you would only have to keep that up for an hour..... a lil extreme i know but for that added snappy feeling you would get as if this was a much simpler phone i'd take the jump
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    There's a VERY good reason why it was underclocked. Early steppings of the TI OMAP 3430 suffered a bug where its expected lifespan was seriously reduced (<6 months) if ran at the full 600MHz.
    Not to be rude, but this is very scary information if true. Can you (or anyone else for that matter) please provide links to any sources *other* than forums for this information?

Also, for the info to be useful we need to know what the stated life of the 3430 is. 6 months out of 2 years is huge; 6 months out of 5 years is insignificant in a phone.

I just googled it and found nothing other than chatter in forums; but I may have missed something.

There are posts in this thread claiming that these patches will cause physical harm to our phones. Those are tall orders without the documentation to back them up.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    TI has not released any errata on the 3400 series to the public, since they are OEM-only parts. Only OEMs, like Palm, would know what the CPU can and can't do.
    By that logic then all of the scary information is not true then. Your own words just said that only OEMs like Palm would know what the CPU can and can't do.

So if someone is claiming a 6 month reduction in the normal lifespan of the 3430, and they can not quote hard info from an approved OEM.... then they are fabricating fear and doubt and not stating any dependable facts.

So unless someone can provide an OEM-issued document on the subject, then by your own logic they are making things up (or quoting someone else who is making things up).
    Quote Originally Posted by s1moore View Post
    Tried that. Removed every patch EXCEPT SmartReflex. Any other ideas or do I need to wipe the phone and start everything over?
    I have not used it before, but i guess there is a new feature in WQI that shows installed patches...try that out. If it doesn't work, then i guess you will have to doctor it.
    in another thread I thought I read that smartflex also lowers the voltage whe idle? Any info on that?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast