Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 146
  1. agiudici's Avatar
    Posts
    64 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #21  
    Yes just installed patch no issues. Ys I did notice performance improve immediately. Ill keep poste on batery life. Thanks.
  2. #22  
    I just installed CPU Scaling Patch go back to post #17 to see results.
  3. #23  
    I just install it and it seem a little more snappier specially the camera and email.
  4. #24  
    I love the Internet because everyone has an opinion. I am running the SmartReflex patch at 600 MHz. I had the initial crash but since I removed the battery and rebooted, the phone has been very stable. I have noticed a performance increase and a battery life decrease. Good thing I bought a larger battery.

    Now let me state a couple of facts and leave the conjecture to the rest of the crew. The TI OMAP3430 processor is specified to run at 600 MHz; therefore, running the phone at 600 MHz is not overclocking. The CPU will live to the manufacturer's predicted lifetime at this frequency. There should be no problems running the phone at 600 MHz other than potential heating issues when the processor is loaded.

    Now I will inject my opinions. There are reasons that Palm could have knocked the speed down to 500 MHz. The first and most likely reason is that the battery life at 600 MHz is not sufficient to last a full work day of moderate use. Ratcheting the speed down extends the battery life. The next reason is SmartReflex and the ondemand governor do not yet work together with the current kernel. The two together will provide performance when needed and extend battery life by slowing down the processor when it is just sitting in your pocket. There are still many performance optimization techniques that Palm probably plans to implement like preempt, GPU acceleration, direct JavaScript byte execution, and OpenGL in a newer kernel. We'll just have to wait and see what they deliver. Their objective was get the phone to market and worry about optimization later. In the mean time those of us on the bleeding edge can choose between CPU scaling to preserve battery life or performance.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    Now let me state a couple of facts and leave the conjecture to the rest of the crew. The TI OMAP3430 processor is specified to run at 600 MHz; therefore, running the phone at 600 MHz is not overclocking. The CPU will live to the manufacturer's predicted lifetime at this frequency. There should be no problems running the phone at 600 MHz other than potential heating issues when the processor is loaded.
    There's a VERY good reason why it was underclocked. Early steppings of the TI OMAP 3430 suffered a bug where its expected lifespan was seriously reduced (<6 months) if ran at the full 600MHz. The BeagleBoard, which uses the similar OMAP 3530, was underclocked to 500MHz for this reason. TI is very tight lipped about the OMAP 3400 series, so there is no way to tell which stepping can and can not handle the full 600MHz.

    Hardware bugs exist, and this is one of them. I'm really surprised to see these two patches in Preware, since these are the only two patches that could cause hardware damage. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    There's a VERY good reason why it was underclocked. Early steppings of the TI OMAP 3430 suffered a bug where its expected lifespan was seriously reduced (<6 months) if ran at the full 600MHz. The BeagleBoard, which uses the similar OMAP 3530, was underclocked to 500MHz for this reason. TI is very tight lipped about the OMAP 3400 series, so there is no way to tell which stepping can and can not handle the full 600MHz.

    Hardware bugs exist, and this is one of them. I'm really surprised to see these two patches in Preware, since these are the only two patches that could cause hardware damage. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    I fully agree.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  7. #27  
    I have the CPU Scaling patch installed and have noticed a speed increase across the board. The one thing that's different about the CPU scaling patch vs the Smartflix patch is that the CPU scaling patch not only increases the speed of the cpu when you are using it, when you put your Pre to sleep(shut the screen down) it lowers the speed to around 250MHz. I think a stock Pre is around 350MHz-400MHz. A lower speed when your Pre is asleep could mean alittle more battery saving.

    At least that's how I under stand to differance between the two patches.

    Also, I've had no problems installing it or using it. Very stable and has made my Pre nice & snappy. Most of the stock Applications (messaging, email, contacts...) open much faster. Love the calendar app now!!! All though it hasen't had the same afect on some of the homebrew apps I use more than the stock ones.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by TWC_SouthPhilly View Post
    I have the CPU Scaling patch installed and have noticed a speed increase across the board. The one thing that's different about the CPU scaling patch vs the Smartflix patch is that the CPU scaling patch not only increases the speed of the cpu when you are using it, when you put your Pre to sleep(shut the screen down) it lowers the speed to around 250MHz. I think a stock Pre is around 350MHz-400MHz. A lower speed when your Pre is asleep could mean alittle more battery saving.

    At least that's how I under stand to differance between the two patches.

    Also, I've had no problems installing it or using it. Very stable and has made my Pre nice & snappy. Most of the stock Applications (messaging, email, contacts...) open much faster. Love the calendar app now!!! All though it hasen't had the same afect on some of the homebrew apps I use more than the stock ones.
    The Pre runs at 500 always. No matter what state its in. The CPU scales between 250, 500, and 600 when enabled.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    There's a VERY good reason why it was underclocked. Early steppings of the TI OMAP 3430 suffered a bug where its expected lifespan was seriously reduced (<6 months) if ran at the full 600MHz. The BeagleBoard, which uses the similar OMAP 3530, was underclocked to 500MHz for this reason. TI is very tight lipped about the OMAP 3400 series, so there is no way to tell which stepping can and can not handle the full 600MHz.

    Hardware bugs exist, and this is one of them. I'm really surprised to see these two patches in Preware, since these are the only two patches that could cause hardware damage. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    This is scary news. I have not developed anything on this platform so I am not familiar with any problems. TI's literature still says 600 MHz although I have heard mention of 550 MHz in some forums. The 3530 is supposed to run faster than the 3430 so it is surprising that they derated it down to 500 MHz. Isn't that a 45 nm device though wheree the 3430 is 65 nm? Do you have a link to any errata?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    The Pre runs at 500 always. No matter what state its in. The CPU scales between 250, 500, and 600 when enabled.
    TY m8, Now I understand a bit more about it.

    What kind of damage can this patch cause? Burnning out the chip, shorting the life of it???

    Thanks for the info.
  11. #31  
    boots up much much faster - great for people tinkering with patches and apps.

    As far as overclocking reducing the life of the chip, I don't care much since I will probably get Pre2 when it comes out! hehehe...
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by TWC_SouthPhilly View Post
    TY m8, Now I understand a bit more about it.

    What kind of damage can this patch cause? Burnning out the chip, shorting the life of it???

    Thanks for the info.
    Clocking the CPU to 600 has been determined to knock 6 months of life on your Pre as well as decrease your overall battery life (naturally) since the CPU will require more power to run.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Clocking the CPU to 600 has been determined to knock 6 months of life on your Pre as well as decrease your overall battery life (naturally) since the CPU will require more power to run.
    taking this under consideration, what is the over all expected lifetime of a pre when you say it reduces it by 6 monthes? thanx.
    Last edited by ericizzy1; 11/22/2009 at 01:42 PM.
  14. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #34  
    Has smartreflex been improved any in the latest builds?

    I ran smart reflex back in webos 1.0x days, and clocking at 600mhz was causing hangs on my Pre from time to time. (clocking @ 550 was working fine though)
    -mark
  15. #35  
    Depends on if you shower with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    taking this under consideration, what is the over all expected lifetime of a pre? thanx.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Has smartreflex been improved any in the latest builds?

    I ran smart reflex back in webos 1.0x days, and clocking at 600mhz was causing hangs on my Pre from time to time. (clocking @ 550 was working fine though)
    -mark
    I find that yes, it's greatly improved. In 1.0.3 to 1.1, I would get a lockup almost immediately upon enabling SmartReflex (even at 500mHz). I didn't try it in 1.2, but in 1.3.1, it's completely stable for me.
  17. Tcub's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Clocking the CPU to 600 has been determined to knock 6 months of life on your Pre as well as decrease your overall battery life (naturally) since the CPU will require more power to run.
    If the patch clocked the CPU at 600 Mhz without any scaling (ie the default and constant speed of 500Mhz) I could see this being a concern. Since the patch does scale the speed when the phone is idle, I wouldn't be too worried about the reduction of it's life span. With the scaling in mind, this is certainly still a USE AT YOUR OWN RISK type patch. Anytime you're dealing with adjusting CPU speeds, that disclaimer should always be kept in mind. However, let's not scare people.

    As for certain steppings not being able to handle 600MHz, they may be a limiting factor for some and should definitely be kept in mind while modifying the processor speed.

    Also, the OMAP3430 comes from a 65nm process..

    BTW, installing and rebooting now!
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
    Clocking the CPU to 600 has been determined to knock 6 months of life on your Pre as well as decrease your overall battery life (naturally) since the CPU will require more power to run.
    A Wikipedia post that references an IRC chat room log isn't enough for me to believe that.

    If TI came out and said something that would be a different story.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    Do you have a link to any errata?
    TI has not released any errata on the 3400 series to the public, since they are OEM-only parts. Only OEMs, like Palm, would know what the CPU can and can't do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  20. #40  
    Does both the patches uninstall clean with out any problems?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions