Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    This patch requires additional testing - but it seems to restore the old memory garbage collection method that was in webos versions before 1.3.1. In my testing (2 days worth), it fixed the memory leaks associated with using drPodder & Newsweek.

Please test - especially if you're frequently getting the too many cards error after updating to webos 1.3.1.

What it changes is

Code:
    # Automatically remove eventlisteners from DOM nodes not attached to
    # the render tree.
    AutomaticallyCleanupEventListeners=false
    to

Code:
    # Automatically remove eventlisteners from DOM nodes not attached to
    # the render tree.
    AutomaticallyCleanupEventListeners=true #default is false
    My observation on what that means is that garbage collection is cleaning up after apps instead of relying on the apps themselves to do it. But again, please test.. This is just based on 2 days of testing from me. (I was getting the too many cards error at least once or twice a day.. been running great for the past 2 days using this patch) (this might re-introduce the 300ms lag in games that some were complaining about in webos 1.2.1 - I never saw that lag so can't comment on that..)

-mark
    Attached Files Attached Files
    nice find diomark I'm excited to see others results on this one
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Is this patch available via Preware or WebOS Quick Install?

I'm definetly getting the memory leak issues once or twice a day as well!
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Thanks diomark!

One Q however, will this cause a partical split second lag in the UI when closing apps?
    just installed it, hopefully it works..

the too many cards error has been very annoying in 1.3.1
    Quote Originally Posted by bjshedwick View Post
    Is this patch available via Preware or WebOS Quick Install?

I'm definetly getting the memory leak issues once or twice a day as well!
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...les-wosqi.html
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    Thanks diomark!

One Q however, will this cause a partical split second lag in the UI when closing apps?
    I haven't noticed any.. -m
    i am also guessing this will also help the freezing & restarts?
    I have a question about this patch... This is from 1.2.1's /etc/palm/browser.conf:
    Code:
    So this setting was also "false" in 1.2.1. That being said, how does changing this to "true" make it "like it was in 1.2.1"?
    dBsooner
    WebOS-Internals Member and Developer
    Donations Appreciated!

Keep up to date with webOS-Patches via Twitter: @dBsooner

Browse Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal - (Trac)
    Submit New Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    Submit Updated Patches @ WebOS-Patches Web Portal
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dBsooner View Post
    I have a question about this patch... This is from 1.2.1's /etc/palm/browser.conf:
    Code:
    So this setting was also "false" in 1.2.1. That being said, how does changing this to "true" make it "like it was in 1.2.1"?
    I just checked webosdr 1.2.1 - and you're right.. so it's not reverting to what webos 1.2.1 was necessarily doing.. But (in my experience) it is causing webos to cleanup memory a bit better.. I need to note - I did finally need to reboot tonight (after 3 days uptime..)

-mark
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    After the update then installing newsroom, I found that the amount of webpages I could have open was reduced drastically for a few hours, until a few reboots, and now everything is pretty great memory wise.

I will give this app a shot and let you know if there is any difference.
    Very interesting. I just spent 4 days trying to find 1 memory leak in my app Dealert because of this flag. Heh, this explains why it was randomly introduced in 1.2.1.

Nice find!
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Anyone had negative effects b/c of this patch? Some rumblings on twitter about this causing bricking of Pres, enough to have to take to the Webos dr
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    what is oddfor me is that I have been getting random reboots ever since updating to 1.3.1

wondering if this could be related
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    Is this patch going to be loaded in a feed that is read by Preware?
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    thanks for your work on this patch diomark. my ability to download podcasts, new apps & app updates stopped for reasons unknown on Dec 1. this patch and a reboot solved the problem!
    Well this patch doesn't appear to be working for me. I'm unable to install themes through PreWare because of the "Too many cards error".
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    Why did they decide to not put the webos 1.3.1 memory leak patch in Preware?

- Craig
    I installed this patch, along with some other patches and fixes, and it appears to be working as diomark described it--works beautifully for me. See my post here for details: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2102450
    Mark, first of all I respect all the work you've done for the community, we need people like you to keep Palm on their toes and help the platform to progress.

I would like to point out that the only change this patch makes is to switch one function/value from false to true - it's clearly been disabled by Palm and we must assume that there's a good, proven reason why they did not activate what is ostensibly an advantageous function of the OS.

I love experimenting with patches and I actually intend to install this one when I'm done typing this, but I suppose I just wish we could somehow glean Palm's software engineers' reasoning for setting that particular value to false.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast