Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    My observation on what that means is that garbage collection is cleaning up after apps instead of relying on the apps themselves to do it. But again, please test.. This is just based on 2 days of testing from me. ...
    Sometimes I wish I could hit the "Thank" button more than once (and this is such a time). Thanks for sharing your observations. I applied the patch and I'm hoping this might speed up some of the lag I've noticed lately in the phone application.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc;
    Mark, first of all I respect all the work you've done for the community, we need people like you to keep Palm on their toes and help the platform to progress.

I would like to point out that the only change this patch makes is to switch one function/value from false to true - it's clearly been disabled by Palm and we must assume that there's a good, proven reason why they did not activate what is ostensibly an advantageous function of the OS.

I love experimenting with patches and I actually intend to install this one when I'm done typing this, but I suppose I just wish we could somehow glean Palm's software engineers' reasoning for setting that particular value to false.
    I have been using this patch for a couple of weeks now and I would have to say that aside from not being able to run this flag through QA before release, there is one other thing potentially stopping palm from turning this on by default: the fact that some apps may occasionally slightly suffer in performance because they don't expect the OS to be doing this. Maybe sometimes what the OS thinks is garbage is still needed by an app. And it seems to me that if palm were to turn this function on then it would need to make developers fully aware so they could properly prepare their apps for such a change in the OS.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    An example of an app that is probably negatively affected by this patch is
    the Air Hockey app in the app catalog. In 1.2.x it would pause for a 1/3rd of
    a second or so every couple seconds while it did GC, which makes
    consistent fast action play almost impossible. In 1.3.1 that pause
    went away, and this setting is probably why. Does anyone else
    have Air Hockey that has applied the patch so they can test it?

I also noticed that periodic GC seems to be less crippling to the photo app
    in 1.3.1 when moving through a lot of photos. Would be interesting
    to know if it gets laggy again after this patch, but not interesting
    enough for me to do it myself.

ian
  4. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    I have been using this patch for a couple of weeks now and I would have to say that aside from not being able to run this flag through QA before release, there is one other thing potentially stopping palm from turning this on by default: the fact that some apps may occasionally slightly suffer in performance because they don't expect the OS to be doing this. Maybe sometimes what the OS thinks is garbage is still needed by an app. And it seems to me that if palm were to turn this function on then it would need to make developers fully aware so they could properly prepare their apps for such a change in the OS.
    Good point. I bet there were QA issues (functional and performance) but I really hope this gets 'fixed' in 1.3.5.

If GC frees garbage that is not really garbage, then there is a bug in the GC or the JRE or the OS. GC (and the JRE) are the ones worrying about what is garbage and what is still live. Perhaps there are a couple bugs still to iron out (no....) before QA gives the thumbs up.
    I installed using the quick installer and I see it does show up in Preware under the unknown list, can you use the Preware to remove and does it remove clean. Any chance of a battery draw with this patch?
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    I installed using the quick installer and I see it does show up in Preware under the unknown list, can you use the Preware to remove and does it remove clean. Any chance of a battery draw with this patch?
    Although I didn't try removing the individual patch via Preware, I used EPR a few days ago and it was removed successfully. I then reinstalled it a few days later with no issues as well. Not sure about battery draw but so far for me battery life seems to have improved.
    what about using this patch along with the Lower swap Threshold. I also never have got the too many cards error, but it does lag at times.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by rem_kujawa View Post
    what about using this patch along with the Lower swap Threshold. I also never have got the too many cards error, but it does lag at times.
    I am using both actually and they really complement each other.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    For the record, I'm using both (obviously since I came up with the patches ) - but I still get out of memory errors *all* the time.. to the point that I'm needing to webosdr my phone (but waiting for 1.3.5 to come out..)

I think it has quite a bit to do with how cluttered your email gets as well...

-mark
    For the record, I'm using both (obviously since I came up with the patches ) - but I still get out of memory errors *all* the time.. to the point that I'm needing to webosdr my phone (but waiting for 1.3.5 to come out..)

I think it has quite a bit to do with how cluttered your email gets as well...

-mark
    If you're right about email clutter then completely emptying my Gmail account along with installing both your patches must have had something to do with the improvements I have seen.
    I added the patch and also cleaned my two Gmail accounts. I have 3 questions...(1) Is yahoo mail and others and issue as well? (3) Would having 2 gmail accounts (that are now cleaned out) increase memory leaks?...sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.. (3) What are some other Apps etc that we should be on the lookout for as far as the memory leaks issue beyond Newsroom and DrPodder?... And one last minute question...just read that Sprint has listed 1.3.5 on their website...after I have removed all my patches...is this a patch that I should wait to put back on?...Thanks for your help. And a thank you to all the guys out there that develop these patches, themes, etc. You guys truly enhance our experiences with our Pre's.
    Thanks guys, I have the clean up events patch but I will wait till 1.3.5 is out. By the way with this patch is it just me or does the phone app and photo app seem faster?
    Is this needed for 1.3.5?...Also is it compatible with 1.3.5?...I took this patch off with others last night before downloading 1.3.5...thanks in advance!
    [patch] Cleanup Event Listeners (fix webos 1.3.1 memory leak)
    Mark,

Have you submitted this using the patch submission form from dbsooner?

- Craig
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ferriskeanu View Post
    Is this needed for 1.3.5?...Also is it compatible with 1.3.5?...I took this patch off with others last night before downloading 1.3.5...thanks in advance!
    I've seen nothing in 1.3.5 to suggest that this patch is needed any more.
    The memory handling after 1.3.5 update has been extremely good.
    I've gotten no "too many cards" errors at in the last week, and many
    things feel more responsive, and there are fewer freezes.

ian
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I've seen nothing in 1.3.5 to suggest that this patch is needed any more.
    The memory handling after 1.3.5 update has been extremely good.
    I've gotten no "too many cards" errors at in the last week, and many
    things feel more responsive, and there are fewer freezes.

ian

agreed. I've gotten the too many cards errors under 1.3.5, but not nearly as often as with 1.3.1...

-mark
    so is it alright to add it to 1.3.5.1 .
    So, we don't need this anymore in 1.3.5.1? does it hurt to install it anyways?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    It's not needed. There's no point.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    It's not needed. There's no point.

ian
    You absolutely certain about that??

I was told that it is indeed still an issue in v1.3.5.1.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast