Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I’ve been running the original Smartreflex patch (before the 600 and 500 versions). I love it. Lag is all but gone. Multitasking is improved. Loading times and such are reduced. In my office with a poor signal, my Pre w/ tweaks (before Smartreflex) used about 8% battery per hour sitting on my desk untouched. After Smartreflex its down to 3.9%/hour. I’m not taking it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Those are ones you should NOT use. In patches categories, there is a 'Dangerous' category, use ONE of those...at your own risk.
    Aren't they the same patches with just a warning attached?
    thanks, i ran the 600mhz patch all night long with no ill effects. gonna reinstall the 500mhz though as the 600 kills the battery fast when using anything. it is fast though!
    Is there another way to charge the battery.. I charged the battery all night and when I puch the up button and power button the cable shows up on the pre but when I connect the cable to my laptop I get a discharged battery and I cant get it to dr? please help my pre..
    push*
    I originally had the smartflex 500 (obsolete version) on and had no problems, removed that one and installed the newer version of smartflex 600 and my cards movement was choppy and experienced lag times in opening of cards and bringing up V keyboard. Removed sf 600 installed the newer version of sf 500 and everything is back to normal.
    Which are the "newer" versions? The newest uploaded version in Preware says that it's obsolete and there's something with a different name available.
    You can tell the older versions when you open them up and the tell you to remove, dangerous.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I should have never read that description in the tweaks, I installed the 600mhz smart reflex patch and it worked perfect everything was faster and didn't have problems. Then today they say it's obselete and no good so I delete it and install the new one, first it freaking freezes my Pre, then when I reboot my Pre the phone gets very hot now on the back which never happened before, just great. Uninstalling when I get a chance. Not happy at all
    Quote Originally Posted by nulall View Post
    Am I the only one who is still confused about the difference between these two patch options?

In practical terms, what does it mean to dynamically adjust voltage vs dynamically adjusting clock speed?
    Clock scalling reduces the number of clock cycles per second to save power, while Smartreflex reduces the amount of power per clock cycle based on activity.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Installed the 600 mHz Powersave Smartreflex patch, powered down, took out the battery, waited a few minutes, and restarted.

No problems booting or freezing (so far anyways - knock on wood), and didnt have any issues with video playback (only tried YouTube though) like some others on here have had.

Haven't used it long enough to make a definitive comment on battery life and OS seems only a little snappier, if at all, but I do notice the email and photo apps are noticeably faster. All in all, seems like a good, if not groundbreaking, improvement.

Kudos again to the Homebrew community and devs. You guys are the best!
    Do the versions matter? (1.3.1-18,19,20 etc) I noticed that the "dangerous" version of SmartReflex is 1.3.1-18 but there are "newer" 1.3.1-19 1.3.1-20 patches avaliable but marked obsolete.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    yeah im having trouble understanding all the different version and i am not too sure which one i should download.. since in preware it says its Obsolete and dangerous
    .. what do i do.. im a little new
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by demick514 View Post
    yeah im having trouble understanding all the different version and i am not too sure which one i should download.. since in preware it says its Obsolete and dangerous
    .. what do i do.. im a little new
    Open PreWare
    ->Available Patches
    ->Dangerous category

You'll see 4. Theres a 500MHz and 600MHz version of each method . So pick ONE method (CPU Scaling OR SmartReflex, don't do both) and then decide if you want to be safe and only get power benefits (500MHz), or are ok with destroying your phone and possibly creating a singularity that will destroy our solar system for the sake of a little performance increase (600MHz).

There hasn't been conclusive evidence as to which method is better, so you'll have to decide for yourself.

I picked 600MHz SmartReflex, which seems to be working just fine FOR ME - no crashes, hiccups, or heat issues. My battery seems to not be lasting as long, but I've been a heavy user today, so that makes sense.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Any thoughts as to why Palm did not enable the SmartReflex option from the start? It seems like TI is pretty proud of this technology and if it is all it's claimed to be, Palm would have been able to increase battery life by utililzing it in some fashion. Think it might appear in a future update or do you think it just didn't yeild enough benefit justify the cost?
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain of Lite View Post
    +1 for 550mhz
    +16
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Great. I installed the scaling 600 patch and then rebooted. It's taken 10 minutes to reboot and nothing happens. The palm logo is stuck. Any suggestions?

I removed the battery and started it again and still nothing.
  18.    #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by louboy23 View Post
    I tried both already, but I settling with the CPU scaling one. Here are my personal observations/opinion.

1) Early life bc of higher cpu speed: If this did happen, theres warranty and sprint insurance plan. Its not like either case they would be able to check how your phone died.
    2) This patch reduces speed to 250 when Pre screen is off VS the stock 'on all the time 500mhz'. Meaning, you are probly PROLONGING your pre's life since when its off its now at half the stock speeds. And lets face, the pre spends more time off then on for most people.
    3) In conjuction with #2, when it is on and its running at 600 vs 500, that extra 100 mhz for whatever amount of time it is that you run it, will be completely negated by the savings from when the phone is off at 250.
    4) The other patch may have a voltage regulator and all to save battery, but it still running at 500 or 600 all the time, so I doubt it is truly any better at all than the CPU scaling patch in any respect (battery or longevity of chip), I would 'guess' its actually worse in both aspects.

I have been using the app (Battery Monitor) and it is showing great battery life so far in standby and under normal usage.

Anywho, these are my thoughts
    This makes a LOT of sense but people are still choosing the powersave method...I don't get why when this cpu scaling would save the integrity of the processor across the life of the phone since its in idle most of the time.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Using the Powerflex 500 and so far so good which is pretty expected being the 500. Music Remix always loaded horribly slow for me so I've tried that a few times and loads almost instantly. I'm gonna assume that's because of the patch? Photos, etc load faster as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by omatus View Post
    Great. I installed the scaling 600 patch and then rebooted. It's taken 10 minutes to reboot and nothing happens. The palm logo is stuck. Any suggestions?

I removed the battery and started it again and still nothing.
    Same here. I'm getting ready to Doctor it.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast