Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I completely agree, with you.

Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    I installed the SmartReflex patch then rebooted my Pre. It came up and crashed while Luna was loading. The power switch was ineffective and the screen unresponsive. I thought I may have bricked it. I removed the battery and turned it on again. The boot screens blinked and finally Luna appeared! I have been testing the patch with many different applications including video and all I see is speedier performance.

I read with great interest the comments on the potential downside of "overclocking" the Pre. First of all I would not say these patches "overclock" the CPU. The Pre contains a TI OMAP3430 processor that is rated to run at 600 MHz. The patches allow the processor to run up to their rated speed. The downside of running it at full speed is lower battery life. It should not hurt the life of the phone.

For example, I am running a P6 processor rated for 2.5 GHz at 2.833 GHz. It is my experimental Linux box. The machine has been running at this speed for 7 years. The computer is beyond its technological lifetime so any decrease in life is insignificant. How many people plan to own their Pre for more than 2 years?

Palm probably fixed the speed at 500 MHz to tweak the battery life. A later WebOS release will probably implement SmartReflex when they take better advantage of the GPU. Expect something to happen around the time FLASH is implemented.
    Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    First of all I would not say these patches "overclock" the CPU. The Pre contains a TI OMAP3430 processor that is rated to run at 600 MHz. The patches allow the processor to run up to their rated speed. The downside of running it at full speed is lower battery life. It should not hurt the life of the phone.

For example, I am running a P6 processor rated for 2.5 GHz at 2.833 GHz. It is my experimental Linux box. The machine has been running at this speed for 7 years. The computer is beyond its technological lifetime so any decrease in life is insignificant. How many people plan to own their Pre for more than 2 years?
    Bad analogy, in my opinion. It's more like when Intel makes a batch of CPUs, and not all of them can hit the planned rated speed, so they sell the bad ones as slower CPUs for less money. It seems that not all of the CPUs in the batch can hit 600mHz, so in order to be safe (along with the mentioned battery life increase), Palm set the default clock speed to 500mHz.
    Earlier steppings (or revs) apparently had issues being clocked to 600mhz. This is not necessarily the reason why the pre is only clocked to 500mhz.

In any case, I have updated the patches in the git repo to have 500mhz and 600mhz versions. Now I just need to get dbsooner to update the preware feed.

For the people asking which is better, you need to test out what works better for you. Feel free to post which one works better for you. I guess someone could create a poll.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    If someone were to run the 600mHz version and their phone worked fine, would that mean that the lifespan of their phone would generally be the same as it would had it been kept at 500? If hitting 600 and having the phone still work properly is the litmus test for having a functional (as originally intended) cpu, is that the end of the story?

I keep hearing 'try the one that works best for you' but is it really that simple? If it works, does that mean that you have a cpu that can physically handle it and things will be smooth sailing, or does it mean that "it works", but it just works for now and in three months you won't have a phone?
    so could i take the difference between the fast smartreflex and stock speed smartreflex and edit the file to 550? I mean, would that reduce the risk of damaging the processor, but give me a little more speed?
    Well, by homebrewing, technically you void the warranty. YMMV so you need to decide if you want a stock car with warranty or something that may be faster but stops working with no/less warranty.

Pick one.
    Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
    "There's a VERY good reason why it was underclocked. Early steppings of the TI OMAP 3430 suffered a bug where its expected lifespan was seriously reduced (<6 months) if ran at the full 600MHz. The BeagleBoard, which uses the similar OMAP 3530, was underclocked to 500MHz for this reason. TI is very tight lipped about the OMAP 3400 series, so there is no way to tell which stepping can and can not handle the full 600MHz."

Quoted by: Brain_ReCall
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    "There's a VERY good reason why it was underclocked. Early steppings of the TI OMAP 3430 suffered a bug where its expected lifespan was seriously reduced (<6 months) if ran at the full 600MHz. The BeagleBoard, which uses the similar OMAP 3530, was underclocked to 500MHz for this reason. TI is very tight lipped about the OMAP 3400 series, so there is no way to tell which stepping can and can not handle the full 600MHz."

Quoted by: Brain_ReCall
    I would like to see the article on this just for my own understanding please.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I can't understand. Whats the meaning of using smart reflex (for my understanding it puts pre processor working at a defined clock speed) at a stock speed. Isn't this the standard stock definition?!

I just can see the utility of using cpu scaling at stock because it would use the standard 500MHz but decrese it to 250MHz when it's idle, saving battery.

Can someone correct me and explain it?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I think smart reflex lowers voltage while idle and cpu scaling changes the mHz the cpu runs at in real time; the former is supported by the chip in the pre and the latter is supported by Linux, but is giving some people problems.

It seems the cpu in the pre can run at 600 mHz and was underclocked to 500, but we don't know why. If it was simply to be safe/save battery/defend against heat then there really isn't any huge reason not to run it at 600; if it was because, as has been suggested, there are serious issues when it's run at 600mHz, then we need to start asking questions before applying patches.

I'm not sure where the warranty talk came from, but if the pre was underclocked due to underpreforming chips, then the shortened lifespan question needs to be addressed. Will the phone be unuseable in a week? A month? Several months? A year? Only when this timeframe is generally understood can people even begin to make a judgement about whether they want 'a stock car or something faster.'

Thoughts?
    The Powersave CPU Scaling patch causes my Pre to not boot up completely after restarting for some reason. I've tried it two times, I had the Powerflex patch installed, then removed it and installed the CPU Scaling patch, the Pre wouldn't boot. I doctor'd it back to 1.3.1, installed Preware, and ONLY installed the CPU Scaling patch, no other patches or apps, restarted and the phone wouldn't boot up completely. I kept getting stuck with the screen saying "Palm" and not flashing. So I am definitely staying away from the scaling patch...
    These codes have been available for a long time on webosinternals. A lot of people have had issues with the stabillity of the phone with the Cpu scaling codes. Ive been using smartreflex at 550 mhz for about 5 months, its much recommended. There is an occasional lag when turning the phone on, but otherwise it works great.
    so, if I can use the smart reflex patch, without any problems visible to me as the user. (boots fine, no crashing, no subjective increase in operating temperature ect)

1) does this mean that it is unlikely i have a chip which is on the lower end of the tolerance limits for manufacturing that has been credited with originally prompting the setting of the chip to 500mhz.

2) and supposing that it does indicate that my chip is unlikely to be of a lower tolerance limit, could that indicate it is safer to operate in the 600mhz range, than a pre which shows outward symptoms of difficulty, such as crashes, restarts and the like?

I realize this is a theoretical question, with multiple variables and suppositions, and so am asking for a theoretical answer if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them.
    There are four lights.
    I would like to personally thank the creator of the cpu scaling patch for uploading a crappy patch to preware. Thanks! I sure am glad I lost everything!
    Quote Originally Posted by octoberorange View Post
    I would like to personally thank the creator of the cpu scaling patch for uploading a crappy patch to preware. Thanks! I sure am glad I lost everything!
    that sucks! never fun to loose info like that

unfortunately that is the risk we all take when patching.

to be fair october, the link within the patch description does give a warning that there are some issues, and inherent dangers with these patches.

that being said, perhaps it could be made more apparent.

to the patch maker, perhaps a warning could be added that there have been reports of instability for some users, and may result in a crash or even a trip to the Dr.

for myself it is not a "crappy" patch, but one that worked wonderfully. I have switched over to the smartreflex patch however, and think that i may prefer that.
    There are four lights.
    I successfully installed the cpu-scaling patch without any boot up issues...phone is definitely more responsive...opened 20 cards without any lag problems whatsoever nor any messages sayin too many cards open with 2 browser instances and one running a youtube video...only small issue I see Is video flicker while youtube video stream downloads....but when the video actually begins to play I have ZERO flicker...phone didn't even come close to reaching a high temp and that was with 20 open cards...just wanted to post my experience with cpu-scaling patch...as with every overclock the man culprit to look out for is heat...so if you can install overclocked to 600mhz without serious heat issues then go for it!
  17.    #97  
    Does removing the patch from preware in fact correct to stock CPU? I can't tell if my pre is slower/back to normal or i'm just imagining its still faster.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    236 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by octoberorange View Post
    LOL
    Je fais ce que je veux avec mes cheveux!!! Sprint: Pre+ 2.1
    Yep, had to make a trip to the doctor. Not too worried about the loss of my 'legally acquired music' but I am sad to lose the handful of pics of my kitty staring at the light switch like a moron.

Edit: Strangely, I didn't lose ANYTHING. So I guess I have to rephrase my initial sarcastic post to say: Thank you patch creator for only wasting an hour of my time!

Cheers all around I guess...
    Last edited by octoberorange; 11/22/2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Does removing the patch from preware in fact correct to stock CPU? I can't tell if my pre is slower/back to normal or i'm just imagining its still faster.
    Theoretically speaking, yes.

To confirm do "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state" in a command line such as the linux one in WOSQI or on the device.

The time in 500000 should be higher than the rest of time states.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast