Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    SR500 has been working great for me, but uninstalled and tried the other Scaling(?) 500 patch. Got a lot of freezing - hard reset/batt pulls - using it, especially while playing music, so going back to Smartreflex.
    How many people have been using Smartreflex for a week or so... even just a few days?? Are you out there?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bonfilio View Post
    SR500 has been working great for me, but uninstalled and tried the other Scaling(?) 500 patch. Got a lot of freezing - hard reset/batt pulls - using it, especially while playing music, so going back to Smartreflex.
    I actually found I had the same problems with both (not simultaneously), needing to pull the battery to reboot. I've since uninstalled the latest one (scaling), and I guess I'll wait until safer versions, hopefully of the 600. I'd love a speedier Pre, but not at the expense of crashing throughout the day.

Anyone else have similar problems with both 500s? I actually have a couple other issues with my actual phone (headphone jack issues, and a buzzing from what I assume is a bad diaphragm in the earpiece), so I was thinking of trading in the phone (as soon as I get my rebate). Does anyone know if a newer version phone might run these patches better?
    just delete the ".txt" from the end of the attached file so it is no longer identified as a text file and put it in /etc/event.d/ on your pre.
    your phone will have smartreflex enabled at the original stock 500mhz speed.

EDIT:
    No one will care except those as neurotic as I lol, however there is a line of commented out code in the attached script that incorrectly titles it "enables cpu scaling" because in order to make it I just modified another script I had... woops haha
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    How many people have been using Smartreflex for a week or so... even just a few days?? Are you out there?
    My Pre has a warranty date code of 7/16/2009 and I *had* been using the 500mhz Smart Reflex patch up until last night. Couldn't deal with the lag the phone has had at times, even after a reboot. Would seem to be unresponsive at times doing a swipe, etc. Will say that battery life with this patch was better, if that matters.

Might try the 500mhz CPU Scaling one, but may leave it alone for a couple days before I install that one.

-Brian
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I've been running it (500MHz version) for about ten days. I've had a few hangups (2 or 3), but nothing major that a restart didn't cure. Extending the battery life at idle has been good, and helpful.

I also use the temporary patch via command line to bump this up to 550MHz. I like the temporary one as if anything goes wrong and I reboot, I'm back at 500Mhz.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I installed the SR 500 patch yesterday and I have had no problems with it as of yet (keeping my fingers crossed). I did not expect to see any increase in performance nor did I. The battery has been draining a bit slower while the phone is idle but nothing spectacular. However, I have noticed that my battery life has been significantly worse since I upgraded to 1.3.1. Since I have only had this patch on for a day, I do not have any conclusive battery saving results but will post back after some tests. I would consider temporarily modifying the patch to 550 but I am afraid of the extra battery drain while operating the phone will outweigh the power savings while the phone is idle.
    I've had the 500mHz SmartReflex going for a while myself, probably like two weeks now. Haven't had any issues at all. Sure, I've had to restart the Pre every few days, but I've had to do that in 1.3.1 since before using SmartReflex.

It helps my battery a ton when idle, but of course the days that I get close to the battery running out aren't when it's idle all day anyway.

When it comes close to running out is when I'm listening to music for a while, use GPS for a while, and other heavy usage. It does not help out in those situations at all. So basically, it gives me more battery life during the times I don't need more battery life, and exactly the same battery life when I do need more battery life.

Still, any improvement is better than nothing.

Also, as I said in some other thread a while back, my Pre initially was NOT stable with SmartReflex turned on in 1.0.3-1.1.0 (never tried it in 1.2.0). In 1.3.1, it's 100% stable with SmartReflex on. For that reason, I'd have to think that it's something that they're making more and more stable as time goes on, probably with the intention of eventually using it as default.
    I haven't been able to load any of the patches using PreWare so far. Everytime I try to load any of the patches (Smartreflex, Scaling) irrespective of the one I pick it always gives me a ipkg error.

Any ideas why my phone won't load any of them.

tx,
    Have you tried installing before?

Make sure you have a data connection; wifi isn't good enough.
    Finally installed the CPU Scaling 500mhz one today and the phone seems to be back to normal non-slugishness. Even after removing the SR patch, the phone seemed to behave similarly as with the SR patch, but not with the lockups/long pauses, just sluggish overall. I wonder if the uninstall leaves something behind until you put one of the other patches on.

-Brian
    Only 1 black screen/unresponsive after using the camera and then trying to do a google search, but otherwise my Pre has been stable since putting on the CPU scaling.

-Brian
    Does anyone know how to manually remove the Smartreflex 600Mhz patch? uninstalling it just leaves the same entries on the device, hence not really removing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Does anyone know how to manually remove the Smartreflex 600Mhz patch? uninstalling it just leaves the same entries on the device, hence not really removing it.
    I believe the CPU speed is reset back to 500mHz every reboot if you don't have a script running.

However, I think the SmartReflex stuff stays set to 1 once you turn it on. Not sure if you need to remount the filesystem to read/write to do this, but just do

Code:
    echo -n 0 > /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp
    echo -n 0 > /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp
    If you have to remount the filesystem first that'd just be the usual mount -o remount,rw / before, and mount -o remount,ro / after.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I believe the CPU speed is reset back to 500mHz every reboot if you don't have a script running.

However, I think the SmartReflex stuff stays set to 1 once you turn it on. Not sure if you need to remount the filesystem to read/write to do this, but just do

Code:
    echo -n 0 > /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp
    echo -n 0 > /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp
    If you have to remount the filesystem first that'd just be the usual mount -o remount,rw / before, and mount -o remount,ro / after.
    Appreciate the help, what about these lines

+echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

+echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    Won't those still overclock the CPU?

If the smartreflex stuff stays set to 1 does that mean it's not a good idea to delete the /etc/event.d/powersave-smartreflex file?

-----------Edit----------
    Looking over the wiki it seems like I should run this command to get rid of that 600000

echo 500000 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    For CPU scaling, the wiki suggesting just removing the script in /etc/event.d

I wonder if it's ok to do the same with the smartreflex script. There's really no info on removing the smartreflex mod in the wiki while there are instructions for removing the CPU scaling mod.
    Last edited by Kyusaku; 12/12/2009 at 05:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Appreciate the help, what about these lines

Won't those still overclock the CPU?

If the smartreflex stuff stays set to 1 does that mean it's not a good idea to delete the /etc/event.d/powersave-smartreflex file?

-----------Edit----------
    Looking over the wiki it seems like I should run this command to get rid of that 600000

For CPU scaling, the wiki suggesting just removing the script in /etc/event.d

I wonder if it's ok to do the same with the smartreflex script. There's really no info on removing the smartreflex mod in the wiki while there are instructions for removing the CPU scaling mod.
    Oh, I assumed that removing the patch removed the script. Yeah, if you remove the script, it'll no longer tell the CPU to run at 600 after boot, which means that it should automatically go to 500 afterboot as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Oh, I assumed that removing the patch removed the script. Yeah, if you remove the script, it'll no longer tell the CPU to run at 600 after boot, which means that it should automatically go to 500 afterboot as usual.
    Thanks, already bit the bullet and removed the script on my own. Everything is running fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    Use WebOS Quick Install and download the patch file from your Pre (Tools > Receive File):

/etc/event.d/powersave-smartreflex

Edit the file and change the 600000 to 500000 in lines 24 and 25.

Then send (Tools > Send File) the file back to /etc/event.d and reboot.

I suppose you could delete lines 24 and 25, but I decided to play it safe and just change the number.

To confirm the speed change, in the Linux Commandline run:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state
    I recently added SR to my pre and my numbers are as follows:
    600000 4674
    550000 861
    500000 11032864
    250000 0
    125000 0
    I would like to try to increase it to 600. How do I do that? The quote above was unsuccessful (I thought since I running it at 500 I could just go in and change the 500 to 600, no dice). Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    I've been running it (500MHz version) for about ten days. I've had a few hangups (2 or 3), but nothing major that a restart didn't cure. Extending the battery life at idle has been good, and helpful.

I also use the temporary patch via command line to bump this up to 550MHz. I like the temporary one as if anything goes wrong and I reboot, I'm back at 500Mhz.
    Where is this temporary patch that I can do via the command line to bump mine to 550?
    I wanted to give props to the dev of the smart reflex and scaling patches. I was a little hesitant on applying this patch, but now that I have patched my pre, it is very noticeably faster than the stock pre is set to. I recommend everyone that hasent applied this patch yet to do so for sure!!!