Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    The patch for 600 is not gone, it's under obsolete, you didnt need to do it manually. FYI
    I tried to use of of those patches and it just gave me an error, it might have just been me, but when i did a patch from the dangerous folder it worked fine. I also noticed that all of the patches that are in the obsolete folder are significantly smaller than the ones that are still in the dangerous one. Because of this i assumed that they changed something on them to make them not work

like i said it might have just been me though

increasing the max for the cpu manually is a good way to go either way. That way if your processor can't handle it all you need to do is reboot and its done, but if you have the program loaded then its probably doctor time. Its a good way to see if your phone can handle it without going through the large hassle of a "bricked" phone
    the ones in the obsolete give an error now
    I'm thinking he manually made them error now because he doesn't want anyone to install it
    yeah Holly they don't work they just give errors.
    As explained in my thread entitled 'Making alternate CPU power settings "safer"' this is an example of an /etc/event.d/powersave* script modified so that it does not take effect until ten minutes after each time you start up your Palm, allowing you ample time to uninstall the patch if necessary. If you are capable enough to edit the /etc/event.d startup files yourself, this example should be enough guideline to show you how to modify whichever Powersave configuration you are using to provide a safety net should you render your Palm unbootable. Hopefully the patch author will wander by and add this to all of the patch packages!
    Code:
    # -*- mode: shell-script; -*-
    description "SmartReflex"
    author "Alex Markson"
    version 1.0

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

script

# SmartReflex
    # "SmartReflex™ driver allows for auto-compensation of VDD1 and
    # VDD2 voltages (around the voltages specified by current OPP)
    # by analyzing the silicon characteristics, temperature, voltage etc"
    #
    # Wait ten minutes and check if this patch has been uninstalled in the meantime
    # before enabling settings that may cause system instability.  Otherwise, it can be
    # difficult to start up the system if the settings do prove unstable.
    (Tend=$(($(date +%s) + 600))
    while test $(date +%s) -lt $Tend; do sleep 1; done
    test -e /etc/event.d/$UPSTART_JOB || exit
    # Enable SmartReflex
    echo -n 1 > /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp
    echo -n 1 > /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp
    ) &
    end script
    Yeah I have no idea what to do with that.
    Are you able to use the command line? I could write a quick program to patch your Powersave patch, but you'd have to run it from the Pre's shell.
    yeah i can use command line with quick install. I'm just confused on what needs to be done I'm not to savvy with the command line yet.
    Last edited by Joescan09; 11/25/2009 at 08:54 PM.
    Run this at the command line in order to modify your Powersave script to wait ten minutes before activating when you boot your system:
    Code:
    wget http://green.homeunix.org/~green/safer-powersave.sh
    sh safer-powersave.sh
    I too installed the SmartReflex 600 patch and it ran great until the next morning. That next morning I installed a theme update and bricked my phone. Actually not completely bricked. I just could not bring up Luna. I could get in through a terminal though. My root file system was full and several UI components were missing.

I decided to Doctor my phone instead of trying to repair it. I was able to restore my phone in about 1.5 hours including all apps, homebrew apps, patches, themes, and other tweaks. I put on the SmartReflex 600 patch and it has been running great ever since. I do see some strangeness with video. After all of the scaremongering, I cranked the frequency down to 550 MHz. I'll run at that speed a while and see how she performs.
    Why can't I remove the only stable version for the Smartflex 500? It keeps giving me an IPKG error.

Prerm
    /var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.dangerous-powersave-reflex-500mhz/dangerous.powersave-smartreflex-500mhz.patch: No such file or directory
    /var/usr/lib/ipkg/org.webosinternals.patches.dangerous-powersave-smartreflex-500mhz.prerm: line 17: cannot open var/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.dangerous-powersave-smartreflex-500mhz/dangerous-powersave-smartreflex-500mhz.patch: no such file

Failed
    "Failure during pre-remove script execution" it

WHAT DO I DO? It keeps saying its installed and won't let me remove it. I was able to remove it once before installing it back again. I do not want EPR my Pre, any suggestions? Thanks!!!
    yeah reinstalled it through WEBOS quick install and then removed it. success!
    where do u go to type that stuff in ? and how do you do it ?
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyloc View Post
    where do u go to type that stuff in ? and how do you do it ?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...5-minutes.html

Once you're able to install something, you can use either Preware or WOSQI to install a terminal directly on the Pre. You can also use the terminal thru WOSQI's Novaterm ("Tools" > "Linux Commandline").

If you don't have any *nix skills, you might wanna try using VirtualBox to install a *nix system and play around with the command line. You can get an idea of how to install Ubuntu thru VirtualBox by reading this. Learn how to navigate the fileysystem, learn specific commands (like an editor, for example), and then maybe you'll want to try this.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ...ive been running the smartreflex 500 since it came out ;
    ..greatest battery saver.. i would charge it to 100%, then uncharge and leave it idle, without doing nothing on it, sleep during the night and would see usualy 0.89% drain per hour and like 2.80% drain per hour if i was doing little texting or wtvr..
    i uninstalled it yesturday, and reinstalled it, guessing it was a new one release, and now ive been leaving my phone idle and im getting 3.89% drain per hour
    .. im going to charge it up again, and during the night see what it gives me
    ....could there be a difference in these patches when the get re released?
    With radios off, the smartreflex (voltage scaling) patch will actually get down to around a 0.3% battery drain per hour -vs- a 1.5% drain per hour when stock. Running with the smartreflex 600 definitely allows you to get things done quicker, so you might actually do a bit better when the screen is on as well.

Overall, the smartreflex patch is quite amazing and shows how awesome voltage scaling really is. Unfortunately for me, whenever I had any smartreflex patch installed on my phone, I always ran into issues after waking up the next day. The phone would be frozen, and it was undoubtedly due to the voltage scaling. I'm just not so sure it's ready yet.
    So i'm also wondering if it's safe to use the Smartreflex patch. Seeing some users complain about freezing with the voltage scaling. Is this a isolated incident or is everyone encountering the same problem?
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    I'm not encountering any problems at all with SmartReflex enabled. To be safe, however, I have it being enabled ten minutes after start-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by brianfeldman View Post
    I'm not encountering any problems at all with SmartReflex enabled. To be safe, however, I have it being enabled ten minutes after start-up.
    How long have you been running it, tho? The SR 600 patch was running great for me the entire first day. But when I tried to wake it the next day, it was frozen. All kidnsa funky stuff started happening after I let it idle overnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    How long have you been running it, tho? The SR 600 patch was running great for me the entire first day. But when I tried to wake it the next day, it was frozen. All kidnsa funky stuff started happening after I let it idle overnight.
    I used 500 patch, and I got the same problem. I really want this patch to work, and well, cause i'm a performance junky.