Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic13 View Post
    I installed the Smartflex 500MHz patch yesterday and so far no problems. Load times are slightly better, but mostly the same as before...battery drain went from about 4-5% per hr to now about 3%

the only thing that I noticed is that after the patch I've tried installing a couple apps from the App Catalog and I keep getting the "App Catalog Not Available" error. Not sure if this is a result of the patch or not (I don't know why it would be), but that's the only change I've made since the last time I successfully installed an app.
    Anyone else have this issue?
    This happened to me before Powersave so it's not an issue with this patch.
    Most likely server side.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Steering clear of this for a couple weeks......
    i've installed the smartreflex 500 and 600 patches w/ no problems.
    i wish there could be a new patch with a toggle (toggle b/w 500, 550, 600, for example).
    or in the future perhaps this can be built into a battery save patch or app that can lower the max processor speed to 450 or 400 when the battery gets below a certain percentage level.

i also had the "app catalog unavailable" problem and updated the prl and did a reset. works fine now.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    there was just a comparision posted on The Mx Web blog about these two patches. it's well worth the read. CPU Scaling Patch or The SmartFlex Patch: Which one is for you? | The Mx Web
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    i've installed the smartreflex 500 and 600 patches w/ no problems.
    i wish there could be a new patch with a toggle (toggle b/w 500, 550, 600, for example).
    or in the future perhaps this can be built into a battery save patch or app that can lower the max processor speed to 450 or 400 when the battery gets below a certain percentage level.

i also had the "app catalog unavailable" problem and updated the prl and did a reset. works fine now.
    I just updated my PRL and network settings, just cause it was there too, and it works for me now...Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    there was just a comparision posted on The Mx Web blog about these two patches. it's well worth the read. CPU Scaling Patch or The SmartFlex Patch: Which one is for you? | The Mx Web
    Nice article. I'm with you in that most people would prolly want to avoid using the 600 MHz patches if they're using this as a "production" device.

I think it should prolly be down to Smartreflex 500 or 600 for people. I have not finished my testings yet, but I will more than likely switch to Smartreflex 550 in the near future and be content with that. I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the 500 to 550, tho... and I don't see where to edit it in /etc/event.d/powersave-smartreflex like the maintainer suggested in the description...

Reason most people wouldn't want to change is because there isn't a huge change. I did see a 33s -vs- 22s difference in loading Engadget, tho. The boot time differences were 8-12 sec better, so hardly noticeable. But the SR patch actually took 2-6 seconds longer to shutdown... so a proper reboot would not produce a real net gain for you.

Moral of the story is that I don't think shaving a few seconds off your Engadget load times is gonna be worth the trouble you might see later down the line.

Like I said, tho... with my Pre usage, I think SR 550 will last me years and years. But SR 500 should have been default!! I wonder why Palm didn't go with that.
    OK, so here's how to set the max speed to 550 MHz, the SR way...

echo 550000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrandeskc View Post
    I tried the: reseat battery, hold up button, press power button, release and wait for USB symbol.
    Don't release the volume up button until after you see the USB symbol.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I've been having random crashes and freezes ever since installing the SmartReflex 600mhz patch. I removed the patch, but the issues are still there. Is there any way to revert the CPU back to the original 500mhz without running WebOS Doctor?

Update: I figured it out. I've gotten the speed back to 500mhz, but I really loved the increase in speed at 600mhz. Here's hoping that the kinks get worked out of this.
    Last edited by roninj; 11/25/2009 at 10:15 AM.
    Hey, so I read every post on here and didnt see it.

I threw on the 600 scaling yesterday and have had the phone freeze a few times so wanted to try the other one next. For the love of me I cant figure out how to uninstall it. It does not show up in preware or quick install under my list of patches.

I assume that for most people this is how they are uninstalling it?

When I ran my processor speed numbers I am definitely hitting 250-600 so I assume the patch made it on.

Any ideas? Is it something I can manually remove if neccissary?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    OK, so here's how to set the max speed to 550 MHz, the SR way...

echo 550000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed
    Would you happen to know a command that will verify the frequency after setting it?
    I have tried all the CPU patches all is well until I turn on bluetooth for about 40 minutes. And then my screen goes blank can not get it back unless I take out the battery. I have installed the patches thru preware and removed them thru preware, all is well now back to the stock form. I will try again???
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    Would you happen to know a command that will verify the frequency after setting it?
    I know this command:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state

Tells you what states your pre has been in.

With my 600 patch, it shows mostly 600 with a little 550 and a little 500
    Any idea when these will be replaced or does anyone know how I can change this back to 600? I have the 500 sr loaded...i unloaded the 600 when I saw the update today and then realized there really is no update just a recommendation to remover the app.
    The 600 was fast once the phone was running...was worth the re-starts in my opinion.
    They are still in Preware under Obsolete, you may just want to hold on a day or so, they will come up with a cleaner 600 patch...

Who are the creators of these patches? Who is responsible for adding these to Preware? Just Curious...
    Last edited by holley2583; 11/25/2009 at 05:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holley2583 View Post
    Who are the creators of these patches? Who is responsible for adding these to Preware? Just Curious...
    I think that's why they were taken down. Might be some sort of liability issue... just my thoughts anyways. I thoroughly enjoyed the SR 600 patch but I'm more concerned about having longer battery life so I reverted back to the SR 500 today. The whole "6 months" thing to me is hearsay.
    Anybody know how to change the smartflex to 550. the way described in preware does not give you a numeric option and i don't get what grndslm is trying to do above
    I downloaded the smartreflex 500, i wanted the 600 but decided about an hour too late. i used grndslm's method and manually changed it to 600. Everything is working great, though after reading some more i realized that i only temporarily changed my max to 600. But it only changes back after a reboot so i should be good for a while.

The method for changing the max is to type

"echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed"

into the linux command line of webosquickinstall

you can change the number value to what you want 550000 for 550 etc.

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...oltage_Scaling
    this link explains how to make the change permanent. I'm new to this so i figured sticking with temporary was the way to go for now
    Last edited by KJBlauw; 11/25/2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    I downloaded the smartreflex 500, i wanted the 600 but decided about an hour too late. i used grndslm's method and manually changed it to 600. Everything is working great, though after reading some more i realized that i only temporarily changed my max to 600. But it only changes back after a reboot so i should be good for a while.

The method for changing the max is to type

"echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed"

into the linux command line of webosquickinstall

you can change the number value to what you want 550000 for 550 etc.

Patch webOS CPU Frequency or Voltage Scaling - WebOS Internals
    this link explains how to make the change permanent. I'm new to this so i figured sticking with temporary was the way to go for now
    The patch for 600 is not gone, it's under obsolete, you didnt need to do it manually. FYI
    ur the man my brother