Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    preware now has a warning that this patch is obsolete and " now known to be dangerous" so i didnt install it
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    a stock pre runs 500mhz so really all the patches be it smartflex or scaling (for the 500mhz version) only help with prolonging the battery life. thats from what i understand. i used smartflex 600 mhz befor they posted the obsolete warning and then this monrning when i found out i removed it right away. I didnt have any problems with it, a couple of card freezes but nothing serious. currently i am running a stock pre which is 500mhz. im not going to take the risk just yet since people are reporting issues. it dosnt hurt to wait till the patches are solid and have the bugs fixed. i mean we havnt had these apps a month ago, another two weeks wont hurt.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Did a browser speed test with and without the 600mhz Smart Reflex Patch.

Definitely faster with loading pages except for Gizmodo, the load time hasn't changed, but everything else flew.

Palm Pre Stock

National Geographic- 13s
    Engadget- 39s
    BGR- 28S
    Lifehacker- 35s
    Gizmodo- 25s
    Apple- 7s
    Palm- 6s
    NYT- 26s

Palm 600mhz Smart Reflex

National Geographic- 11s
    Engadget- 27s
    BGR- 11s
    Lifehacker- 27s
    Gizmodo- 25s
    Apple- 6s
    Palm- 4s
    NYT- 18s
    I installed the 600mhz smartreflex patch and had no problems whatsoever. Bootup was fine, Pre seemed slightly faster but I wasn't sure if it was imaginary or not. Being nervous, I swapped for the 500mhz smartreflex patch and once again, no issues.

Been running it overnight and the battery life certainly seems better. At least I haven't seen any of my typical 3-4% drop spikes like I usually do. I'll keep an eye on it.. right now, very optimistic!
    I just removed the smartflex 500mhz patch..it was stable while running and I seemed to see some battery savings, but I was having serious issues being able to restarting the Pre.

It was freezing on the boot up "PALM" screen..Finally managed to coax it to my homescreen but then it simply froze there and I was unable to open any program, no response to any touches..

I was just about to do an emergency doctor visit but attempted one more battery pull and restart and got lucky.

I'll revisit these patches later on...being able to use my Pre is more important
    don't have time to read the thread right now...can someone help me?

i tried installing the powersave smartreflux 600 thingamajiggy...

restarted...and i can't get to finish rebooting...it hangs. i've taken the battery out and restarted it about 5 times now.

i think the term is "bricked"?

what do i do at this point?
    Anyone know why I can't remove powersave smartreflex 500 from preware? It just gets stuck in removing and never does anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by erk48188 View Post
    restarted...and i can't get to finish rebooting...it hangs. i've taken the battery out and restarted it about 5 times now.

i think the term is "bricked"?

what do i do at this point?
    In deference to your situation;

1) Pull the battery
    2) Reinsert battery but do not turn the phone on
    3) Go to Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint (assuming you're with Sprint, other versions are available) and download the WebOS Doctor
    4) Run the WebOS Doctor. Stop at the point where it says to plug in your phone
    5) While holding down the Volume Up button, press the power button on your phone. Within a few seconds you should see a large USB symbol. If not, pull the battery and try again.
    6) Once you see the large USB symbol connect your phone to your computer and click "Next" within the WebOS Doctor
    7) Follow all the remaining prompts to reload your phone.

You will need to log back into your Palm Profile to reload all your apps, etc. Once good thing I've noticed about the 1.3.1 version of the Doctor is that it doesn't appear to wipe the Media portion of your phone. My pictures and videos were still in tact after doing the doctor.

Now that hopefully you're up and working, search is your friend.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    In deference to your situation;

1) Pull the battery
    2) Reinsert battery but do not turn the phone on
    3) Go to Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint (assuming you're with Sprint, other versions are available) and download the WebOS Doctor
    4) Run the WebOS Doctor. Stop at the point where it says to plug in your phone
    5) While holding down the Volume Up button, press the power button on your phone. Within a few seconds you should see a large USB symbol. If not, pull the battery and try again.
    6) Once you see the large USB symbol connect your phone to your computer and click "Next" within the WebOS Doctor
    7) Follow all the remaining prompts to reload your phone.

You will need to log back into your Palm Profile to reload all your apps, etc. Once good thing I've noticed about the 1.3.1 version of the Doctor is that it doesn't appear to wipe the Media portion of your phone. My pictures and videos were still in tact after doing the doctor.

Now that hopefully you're up and working, search is your friend.
    This is exactly what needs to be done. And you're right, it doesn't touch your media, which is fantastic! When I installed 600MHz scaling and bricked the little guy, I thought I would lose everything I had on there, including any pictures that I hadn't put on my computer yet. But they were there after the doc.
    FYI, to anyone having problems with getting doctor to run correctly, just continue to try. The first two times I connected, doctor got to the point where the battery is charging and a few minutes into it I got a msg that the device was disconnected. Then my computer didn't recognize the USB device, saying that it had malfunctioned. I thought I might have killed it. I plugged it into a wall outlet and let it sit for a while. I restarted my computer and redownloaded doctor. I prayed quietly as I did the steps listed above, and thankfully it finally worked. Don't give up after trying one, or twice, or three times. The pre and webOS brain are pretty resilient, so if you're going to explore patching, have the patience to do your research and be prepared to do some work if you mess something up. It's all worth it.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I installed the Smartflex 500MHz patch yesterday and so far no problems. Load times are slightly better, but mostly the same as before...battery drain went from about 4-5% per hr to now about 3%

the only thing that I noticed is that after the patch I've tried installing a couple apps from the App Catalog and I keep getting the "App Catalog Not Available" error. Not sure if this is a result of the patch or not (I don't know why it would be), but that's the only change I've made since the last time I successfully installed an app.
    Anyone else have this issue?
    Well hadn't had a single prob with the Smartflex 600 on my releas day Pre until this morning when I went to go into developer mode to install Precoder. It locked up completely so much so that the only way you could reboot it was pulling the battery. After I pulled the battery, it went into Dev mode just fine and installed my software, then rebooted into normal mode without a hitch as well.. just noting..
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Well hadn't had a single prob with the Smartflex 600 on my releas day Pre until this morning when I went to go into developer mode to install Precoder. It locked up completely so much so that the only way you could reboot it was pulling the battery. After I pulled the battery, it went into Dev mode just fine and installed my software, then rebooted into normal mode without a hitch as well.. just noting..
    Same here. Had to remove my battery a couple of times but it's been okay since then.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    A few numbers from my system, after installing the CPU scaling 500:

600000 0
    550000 575
    500000 54128
    250000 61117
    125000 121998

I installed the patch and haven't used the phone much, letting it idle over lunch hour. Too early to tell if I'm saving much on battery power yet, but the lower scaling numbers should help.
    I installed one of the CPU patches and ended up with a phone that wouldn't fully boot, it would hang at the "Palm" logo. I embarked on my first WebOS Doctor adventure and struggled to get the phone into USB mode with instructions in this thread. I tried the: reseat battery, hold up button, press power button, release and wait for USB symbol. I tried a dozen times, with no luck, always just sitting at the Palm logo screen.

Finally.... reseat battery, hold up button, plug USB cable in and VOILA! USB Mode! (I already had WebOS Dr. sitting at the prompt.)

The above is for anyone else having troubles getting into USB mode on their Palm Pre.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    It sounds really cool and all. I think that's a mod I'm gonna sit out for a while.
    I'm definitely gonna try these out.... but I need a 550 MHz for both of them please!! There's no way I'm gonna jump from 500 to 600 without a stepping stone. You've gotta break things in gradually, and a processor is no different.

550 MHz patches, please!!
    I tested the battery drainage last night with a 550mhz SR patch installed. It drained at a rate of .85%/hour, which is in line with what I used to get without the SR patch installed. It seems that the SR patch does not have a large effect on idle battery life.
    Installed Smartflex 600 and my phone freezes quite frequently.. trying my damndest to uninstall this patch!!!
    @ armchair, did you try the scaling instead of smartreflec?

fyi. had to do a battery yank again with the 600 scaling. Switched to 500. We will see what happens
    Quote Originally Posted by big****t View Post
    @ armchair, did you try the scaling instead of smartreflec?

fyi. had to do a battery yank again with the 600 scaling. Switched to 500. We will see what happens
    Nope, I haven't tried the scaling patch yet. If SR continues to work well for me, I'm not sure I will. Just wondering, when you had to remove the battery, was it after a reboot? If so, was your Pre plugged into a computer? Whenever I reboot with the SR patch installed, it seems to lock up after reboot when I am plugged in.