Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 LastLast
    CPU Scaling 600 hosed my Pre and I cant doctor it. Looks like I be using my BB warranty for a new one.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I have a June Pre and installed the PowerFlex patch. I gotta tell you, there is a VERY noticeable improvement in speed. In fact, the calendar is now BLAZING fast (compared to before...still could use a boost) and is finally USABLE! This is awesome. I highly highly recommend it.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    OMG
    Hi Everybody!!!
    I just want to chime in and say that my Pre is now bricked so hard I am getting a replacement. The only feasible explanation is that the hardware actually had a catastrophic failure after installing the CPU Scaling patch.

The Pre would actually not progress after the initial full brightness Palm logo, no matter what we did. That includes attempting the emergency button combinations(up and power for example).
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    I just want to chime in and say that my Pre is now bricked so hard I am getting a replacement. The only feasible explanation is that the hardware actually had a catastrophic failure after installing the CPU Scaling patch.

The Pre would actually not progress after the initial full brightness Palm logo, no matter what we did. That includes attempting the emergency button combinations(up and power for example).
    I thought this too after installing 600 mhz scaling, I did everything: downloaded 1.2.1 and 1.3.1 multiple times, reinstaled novacmd several times, and was at a loss. Then I tried it on my gf's new laptop with windows 7, and it finally worked. I think just certian computers have an unknown problem with webos doctor. Mine is now fixed and running the smartreflex 500 patch and running fine, I wish theyd upload a 550 smartreflex, id love that one.
    After installing the scaling 600 I thought mine was bricked but eventually got it working with some help on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by diminishedpower View Post
    I thought this too after installing 600 mhz scaling, I did everything: downloaded 1.2.1 and 1.3.1 multiple times, reinstaled novacmd several times, and was at a loss. Then I tried it on my gf's new laptop with windows 7, and it finally worked. I think just certian computers have an unknown problem with webos doctor. Mine is now fixed and running the smartreflex 500 patch and running fine, I wish theyd upload a 550 smartreflex, id love that one.
    I tried that, Win7, Win7 RC, WinXP. Not sure what happened really, webOSDoctor actually would see it and then error out almost instantly. But it couldn't get into USB mode, so I think that was a big part of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ujsc View Post
    How do you doctor with a frozen Pre?
    pull the battery then put it back in do not turn on the phone. hold the volume up key as you plug in the usb. then run the doctor
    There are so many issues with any of these patches I am so hesitant to try any of these. Maybe after a month or two after some consistant results.
    There's not really any needing to be doctored on any of the 500 mhz patchs I think, but i may be wrong.
    Just tried the 600mhz scaling patch and works great. Faster and no lag.
    something happened to my Pre after patch was installed I rebooted it and now my screen just shows Palm and wont do anything else, helppppp
    been using the 600 scaling for about a day and a half successfully. if your a habitual screen user, then your battery will drain quick. but if you use it casually, you should have increased .... i have had a few screen hang ups (flick motion didnt respond). other than that, faster everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by desidrian View Post
    something happened to my Pre after patch was installed I rebooted it and now my screen just shows Palm and wont do anything else, helppppp
    Something tells me this is going to end with an angry Palm.
    Maybe patches that are potentially destructive shouldn't be provided so easily over Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    Something tells me this is going to end with an angry Palm.
    Maybe patches that are potentially destructive shouldn't be provided so easily over Preware.
    More than likely it is fixable, I even thought mine was toast but eventually i got it fixed, Try doctoring it from several different computers and make sure to read exactly how to get it into usb mode on here. I guarantee even if yours is freezing at the very beginning that method still works.
    Just installed Smartreflex 600 and went very smooth. Definitely faster opening apps like email and photos. Everything seems snappier overall and no glitches thus far. Too early to assess battery performance...tune in tomorrow.
    Well, after reading this all day long and the comments on the front page, I've been very nervous and wasn't going to do it but curiousity has been killing me so I finally broke down and gave it a shot on my original Pre I picked up in June on release day morning which I've never had a single prob with. I chose the Smartreflex 600 as it seemed to have much less probs than the scaling! Rebooted and it booted right up quicker than usual. Things do seem a little bit snappier, nothing to write home about, but I'll take anything I can get! Happy camper here, worked flawless for me! Sorry to all of you that had to doctor.. I figured I'd have to as well!
    I Installed SmartReflex 600 Last night. Definitely more snappy and almost no lag. It kinda drained the battery during the day but I was on my phone nearly nonstop so its expected. I had one instance where my phone froze but restarted itself. I would say that this is relatively worth it if you really want a speed boost and a better battery life (assuming you use the phone moderately) Time will tell how it works out in the long run, I guess.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    ive been running the smartflex 500mhz ...since im concerned about the 600 mhz lol
    and i did not see no big difference in battery life
    how much mhz is a stock pre running on without any of these patches???
    im going to take it off the charger..using the battery monitor and see if there is a big difference in drain per hour while idle and get back i guess
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    and im having difficulties understanding clock speed... whats the purpose of clock speed?