Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Yup, installed the 600 MHz scaling a got the frozen "palm". Time for my pre to see the doc. *sigh*
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I just wanted to clear things up for myself i have the powerflex 600. now does this stay at 600 all the time or only when i am useing it. thanks for whoever answers.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Ok, conducted a little test to just look at standby battery use between the two 500mhz patches. Not looking to overclock at all.

Again, not looking at anything performance wise, just wanted to know which one provided better standby time (for me personally anyway).

Closed all open apps, WiFi, BT and GPS all off, turned off the screen, and here is my result.

'stock' (no Powersave patches)

Powersave CPU Scaling 500mhz

Powersave Smartreflex 500mhz

Again, this was just for my own information on standby times only. Not saying either one is better than the other.

Might do some longer tests later on, possible I could see much different results.

Anyway, thought I would share.
    Last edited by jp22382; 11/23/2009 at 07:42 PM.
    It stays at 600mhz all the time, but lowers the voltage when you are not using it.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a dumb cat View Post
    ^ Major "Brick-age" ^
    Yeah, had to run the doctor.
    The 600 Mhz scaling patch sorta-bricked my pre. It would freeze at the palm logo during boot. It did not even get to the flashing logo. I would not reccomend you try this, but I managed to fix it with some fast terminal-**. I started novacomd on my linux laptop, then plugged in th phone while off and started the boot process. As soon as I saw the trace from novacomd that a phone was available I switched to a new terminal and ran novaterm, then IMMEDIATELY pasted 'mount -n -o remount,rw /;rm /etc/event.d/powersave*;sync' and prayed. It took me 8 or 9 phone reboots (take out battery, repeat) to get the command in before the OS hosed itself and novacom dropped the connection. THIS IS DANGEROUS! However, I know my phone can handle scaling, as for weeks I used ondemand/600mhz manuaaly through novaterm. I do not know why this patch hosed my phone but manuallyu playing with cpufreq did not.
    Last night I had the 600mhz smartreflex patch running alongside the battery life app. It measured a drainage of about .95 per hour, which is pretty normal for me. I am gonna try to mod my patch file to run at 550mhz and if battery life is different I will post my results.

On a side note, as anyone noticed their phone locking up on a reboot while it is plugged into your computer? I usually leave mine plugged in for charging and with both the 600mhz and 500mhz SR patches I have noticed a lockup after I reboot. If gets to the home screen and asks what I want to do about the usb connection, but the phone is unresponsive and only a battery pull seems to fix it. When I put the battery back in and start it up it works fine.
    Hey has anyone noticed this?

I installed Powersave Smartreflex 1.3.1-17 it installed and I had seeming good success with it the phone was much faster (booting, apps, java resets etc.)

I only had one crash since I installed it shortly after it showed in PreWare.

I noticed that there was an upgrade Powersave Smartreflex 600 1.3.1-20 so I decided to upgrade to that one so Preware wouldn't show the update.

I thought it would be safer to Uninstall then reinstall, so I uninstalled 1.3.1-17 and rebooted, all good except phone did seem slower etc...

Then I tried to install 1.3.1-20 and I get an error line 3: illegal number : -1?

The patch doesn't show installed so I tried to re-install 1.3.1-17 and get the same error.

I was happy with the patch and wanted it back so I ran EPR and all patches are off, I still get the same error on both 1.3.1-17 &(-20).

I noticed there was also a 1.3.1-18 in preware so I tried to install that and it worked but, when I had data ON the phone would get REALLY HOT!

What would be the best way to get either -17 or -20 back on my phone?

I am going to try WebOS Repair (haven't tried it yet so be good to see it in action)

If not I guess I will have to Doctor my phone (just did it a couple nights ago with Messaging Plugins issues) so hopefully won't have to go thru that all mess again. I have had a PRE since launch day and only have doctored once since I have had it, I have been super lucky with all the patches that I haven't messed it up ealier!

Thanks if you have any ideas be happy to listen!

CaliMark (Mark Reed)
  9.    #209  
    I have cpu scaling 600. Kept wifi on all day, noticed that when I turn on from idle, wifi is still connected. is that a feature of the patch?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    I have cpu scaling 600. Kept wifi on all day, noticed that when I turn on from idle, wifi is still connected. is that a feature of the patch?
    Some other folks have noticed that since 1.3.1, looks like an undocumented 'feature'.

I installed the patch to add data toggle to the device menu, so when I'm at home I flip data off and wifi on. Works nicely.
    hey i didnt notice that before but i too have the wifi on and when idle for a few mintues i turn back on and wifi is still on? hmm not too bad i must say, oh btw i have smartflex 600mhz on and its great no problems what so ever
    Forget it. For anyone looking who has older version of Preware installed, you have to update Preware for these patches to appear.
    Last edited by afritz; 11/23/2009 at 08:22 PM.
  13.    #213  
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    Some other folks have noticed that since 1.3.1, looks like an undocumented 'feature'.

I installed the patch to add data toggle to the device menu, so when I'm at home I flip data off and wifi on. Works nicely.
    why do you shut the data off? doesn't the wifi turn it off automatically when wifi is on. are you noticing battery changes?
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    why do you shut the data off? doesn't the wifi turn it off automatically when wifi is on. are you noticing battery changes?
    by shutting data off, wifi stays connected even when the screen is locked. it disconnects when the screen is off with data on. why? who knows but its that way.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInvsbleMan View Post
    Installed the 600MHZ Smartreflex... Seeing as I pay for the Sprint TEP I don't mind if it breaks. So far everything is running smoothly and noticeably faster. Things render quicker, especially photos and the OS is generally just snappier. I haven't had it installed long enough yet to see any battery life changes.
    +1 everything is defiantly faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    I'll put Preware back on when I get home and try that patch first thing this time.
    Clean Pre running 1.3.1 (right after Doctoring it) and it froze it at the Palm screen again. I guess mine doesn't like being bumped up. It's not a June issue Pre. I waited till August to get mine (LOML got it for me as an anniversary present). Oh well, back to the doctor.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    I installed the SR 600 patch with no issue. Much snappier!

Back up your stuff and go for it!
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Installed the CPU Scaling 600Mhz patch running faster with no issues thus far. Thanks for the patch ;D
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    Clean Pre running 1.3.1 (right after Doctoring it) and it froze it at the Palm screen again. I guess mine doesn't like being bumped up. It's not a June issue Pre. I waited till August to get mine (LOML got it for me as an anniversary present). Oh well, back to the doctor.
    How do you doctor with a frozen Pre?
    I'm running the CPU 600mhz scaling patch and am having more success than when running the Smartflex 600mhz patch. When I ran the Smartflex patch, I kept getting the "too many cards" error anytime I opened more than 3 cards and I had about 5 random lockups today.

Running the CPU patch, no "too many cards" error and no lockups (knock on wood)
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast