Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had a bunch of patches applied before I updated to 1.3.1.

I went in to Preware and tried to update patches.

Most require I remove them then install the new version.

However, each time I try to remove a patch, I get an error that they can't be removed.

For example, when I tried to do it for the Battery Icon and Percent Patch (a very useful patch, folks, thanks to the creator!), the IPKG log says the following:

patching file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controller/bar-assistant.jsjsjs
    Unreversed patch detected! Ignore - R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    Skipping patch.
    5 out of 5 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/bar-assistant.jsjsjs.$rej$
    patching fle usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css
    Unreversed patch detected! Ignore - R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    Skipping patch.
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css.rej

Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during pre-remove script execution

I get similar errors with every patch I try to remove.

Any ideas on how to get it all working? Do I need to first remove all patches and start over (and if so, how?)? Do I need webOS doctor?

I'd appreciate any help y'all could provide. Thanks in advance!
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Preware specifically states that you are supposed to remove the patches BEFORE updating the OS. I'm not sure what you can do without doctoring your phone back to the beginning.

This is clearly stated on the Preware page.
    It isn't just clearly stated there, it was mentioned time and time again on PreCentral, everywhere that 1.3.1 update was talked about.

You may be able to use the repair ability to fix it. Most likely, you will need to WebOS Doctor to make a clean version. You always remove patches before upgrading.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    It isn't just clearly stated there, it was mentioned time and time again on PreCentral, everywhere that 1.3.1 update was talked about.

You may be able to use the repair ability to fix it. Most likely, you will need to WebOS Doctor to make a clean version. You always remove patches before upgrading.
    let me repeat: You always remove patches before upgrading. There, now it's been said....again.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    just install the emergency patch removal from preware. it will wipe all your patches and you will have to reinstall all of them 1 by 1. Make sure to uninstall your theme too..
  6.    #6  
    ws6kid, excellent advice. worked like a charm! back in business, thanks to you!

others, thanks for the beat down and re-warnings. i was aware of the warnings, was ready to do it and just forgot in haste.

back to reinstalling patches!
    same thing happened to me but i couldnt resist it, i couldnt remove the patches prior to 1.3 because it updated while i was sleeping. and it REALLY sucks for me because one of the patches was the "automatically go to 'just charge' patch" which has completely disabled me from plugging it in to the comp
    /cry
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ...also, in order to update patches, you typically HAVE to remove the old to add the new...it's the way...

but next time, REMOVE THEM BEFORE UPDATING
    Quote Originally Posted by ws6kid View Post
    just install the emergency patch removal from preware. it will wipe all your patches and you will have to reinstall all of them 1 by 1. Make sure to uninstall your theme too..
    Thank you very much Ran into this problem as well. Jesus, I've been telling everyone else to remove all the patches and I forget it... Didn't expect it to do it this quickly after I had enabled Wifi.
    went to the sprint store due to problems with emails pulling down to the phone, they did a "hard reset" and now my patches are all screwed up as well, installed the emergency patch removal and still no luck. how do I install my theme btw?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I'm new here, getting a Pre tomorrow actually but I've been reading this forum for awhile now. I have a question regarding the updates. If the updates are OTA (over the air) and are automatic, how are you suppose to know when to remove all your patches? What if they updated to 1.4.1 at 3am when everyone is sleeping and you still had patches on? Or is there a menu of some sort that pops up that allows you to "accept" and/or "decline" the update? Just curious
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    You can decline the update once (while the phone is on). After that it'll install it the next time you charge.

Normally we get a bunch of warning tho
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    oh ok, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddi1314 View Post
    went to the sprint store due to problems with emails pulling down to the phone, they did a "hard reset" and now my patches are all screwed up as well, installed the emergency patch removal and still no luck. how do I install my theme btw?
    ok I didn't take the time to type this out correctly so let me give it another try. I ran the emergency patch remover from webos qi and it said no patches found. ran webos repair didn't help, and can't install the emergency patch remover from preload because I can't get the theme to remove (when I remove the theme in preload it doesn't go away) I have no other ideas as to how to get this theme off and i'm beyond frustrated... btw after about an hour and a half on the phone with palm my email is still not working right
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddi1314 View Post
    ok I didn't take the time to type this out correctly so let me give it another try. I ran the emergency patch remover from webos qi and it said no patches found. ran webos repair didn't help, and can't install the emergency patch remover from preload because I can't get the theme to remove (when I remove the theme in preload it doesn't go away) I have no other ideas as to how to get this theme off and i'm beyond frustrated... btw after about an hour and a half on the phone with palm my email is still not working right
    Go run the repair utility again this time click the middle tab and select override compatibility, soon as it finds the first error select restore all. If that don't work, Sounds like its time to run the doc.
    Dan DeFrancisco

My Add Scrim Patches:
    Contacts
    Messaging
    Email

My themes:

http://www.prethemer.com/profile/mracer29/themes

If you like my work or I do custom work for you, I have a donate button on my themes on prethemer. Donations always accepted but, never required!!!! If nothing else the thanks button is over there
    -------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    try using preware instead of preload..
    Quote Originally Posted by mracer29 View Post
    Go run the repair utility again this time click the middle tab and select override compatibility, soon as it finds the first error select restore all. If that don't work, Sounds like its time to run the doc.
    where do you get repair utility?
    Quote Originally Posted by MIGISMALLS View Post
    where do you get repair utility?
    Do a search for WebOS Repair Utility

Search is your friend
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I'm about to get automatically updated when I go into EVDO and I just wanted to be clear.

Use PreWare to remove all patches.

Can I leave on all Applications, Preware, Lunamanger and leave Developer Mode on during the update as well?
    Remove All Patches At Once
    Use the Emergency Patch Recovery App to remove all patches at once.
    WebOS Quick Install Method: Click the third button down on the left. Click the drop down arrow at the top and click WebOS-Internals Feed (all) then check Emergency Patch Recovery. Click Download → Close → Install. Restart your phone.
    Preware Method: In the Pre or Pixi tap Launcher → Preware → Available Other → Linux Applications → Utility → Emergency Patch Recovery → Install. Restart your phone.

Before a webOS Update - Remove all patches & themes with the webOS Repair Utility → Options → Compatibility Override on. Backup your Palm Profile: Launcher → Backup → Back up now. Backup and sync. Homebrew Apps do not need to be removed.

Remove All Patches - Install the Emergency Patch Recovery App.
    - Emergency Patch Recovery - deletes all patches on next restart then removes itself.
    - - In WOSQI it is under the third button on the right → WebOS Internal Feed (All)
    - - In Preware tap Everything and start typing "Emergency Patch Recovery" and tap it
    - Posts about Preware need to go into the Preware Thread.
    I am just going to use the Preware EPR method prior to the update, any advice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast