1.    #1  
    So I made a patch (here) and I'd like some help on how to create the actual patch file.
    I modified a few of the clock app files on the emulator and I'm not sure what to do from there so that other people can apply the patch, or I can put it on my own pre.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by romanodog View Post
    So I made a patch (here) and I'd like some help on how to create the actual patch file.
    I modified a few of the clock app files on the emulator and I'm not sure what to do from there so that other people can apply the patch, or I can put it on my own pre.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks!
    I would think you can use WebOsThemeBuilder to create a .patch file, open theme builder then click on the patch tab then click on the top right Icon (looks like a page ).
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

If you are comfortable with the command line, you can create the patch using quilt.

There's a tutorial in the Wiki, but it's way more information than you actually need.

1. You need to have quilt or quilt-lite installed on your pre. This is included in so many tutorials on "rooting" that I'm going to skip over it.
    2. You need root access to your Pre. Again, this is well covered.
    3. Make your file system writable.
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    4. Undo any of the modifications you did creating your patch to begin with.
    5. Make sure you're in the root directory.
    Code:
    cd /
    6. Create a new patch file with quilt
    Code:
    quilt new NAME.patch
    7. Tell quilt which files will be created removed or changed by entering the following command for each file
    Code:
    quilt add /path/to/file.extension
    8. Use vi or whatever program you want to edit each file
    9. Create a header with a useful description of what the patch does.
    Code:
    quilt header -e
    That will open up vi where you can edit your header. It should include a basic description of what the patch does, and who you are. Keep it brief.
    10. Tell quilt to build the patch.
    Code:
    quilt refresh
    11. Move you patch to somewhere more accessible.
    Code:
    cp /opt/src/patches/NAME.patch /media/internal/NAME.patch
    12. Switch the file system back to read only.
    Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /
    You're done, and the patch file you just made can be found in the USB storage area on your Pre.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 11/20/2009 at 10:48 PM.
  4.    #4  
    great, thanks a lot! I'm going to give that a shot.
    Before you get too far in, be aware that my first code fragment was incorrect. I have no idea what "mount -u" does, if it does anything at all, but it's wrong.

That should have been "mount -o remount,rw /"

I've edited my original post to fix the error.
    easiest way to create patch files is to use Jason's Unified Diff Creator http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...f-creator.html

I created my first two patches using it. It's pretty simple. Two .jsjsjs $files$ $that$ $get$ $compared$ $to$ $make$ $a$ .$patch$ $file$ $including$ $the$ $patch$ $name$, $your$ $name$, $version$, $and$ $description$.
    My Patches
    -Change Number of Bookmarks.patch
    -Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time.patch
    -Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"