Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree3Likes
    Seems pretty unlikely, unless y'all are planning on standing up a new patch portal..
    Oh, yeah, that... I forgot.

I was just thinking that if it was packaged as an IPK...

So options are:
    1. Fix the patch portal (unlikely)
    2. Add patches directly to Preware - if anyone with access is willing.
    3. Make an alternative repository - above my pay grade
    4. Make a linked list of all patches available only on the forum... I don't think I can face making another list of webOS stuff. How would I even start to search for them? Anyone else want to try?

We need more duct tape to wrap around the good ship, 'webOS'.

EDIT: OK, webOS Ports have Preware 2. Presumably, they have their own feed. Maybe they'd be willing to host these 'orphan' patches?

(Awaits webOS Ports and patch developer, Herrie's response)
    Last edited by Preemptive; 04/30/2015 at 08:41 PM.
    It's unlikely we'll actually have patches for LuneOS since we (the community) control the OS ourselves. We can just include them in a new build/release and enable/disable them via Tweaks. For legacy stuff we might be able to work out something in the current feed. If someone can make a list of what would need adding I can talk to the right people to have a manual process of getting these in.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It's unlikely we'll actually have patches for LuneOS since we (the community) control the OS ourselves. We can just include them in a new build/release and enable/disable them via Tweaks. For legacy stuff we might be able to work out something in the current feed. If someone can make a list of what would need adding I can talk to the right people to have a manual process of getting these in.

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    Yes, I'm really looking forward to 'not having to patch', though I imagine you won't want to include every patch that's offered. There will be questions of code quality and some patches might be of minority interest or all possible options might bloat.. I'd be interested to know the criteria or process for including a patch/update. I wonder if there will be official updates and unofficial patches for a few outlying users? BUT that's OT and for another thread.

If there's a possibility of a second legacy patch feed, then it's worth making a list, so I'll start another thread or maybe just add a second tier to the service pack list. It's notable that many of the recent top fixes are on these forums - maybe we CAN make that Service Pack / Super Patch!

Thanks for your answer.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 05/01/2015 at 02:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Yes, I'm really looking forward to 'not having to patch', though I imagine you won't want to include every patch that's offered. There will be questions of code quality and some patches might be of minority interest or all possible options might bloat.. I'd be interested to know the criteria or process for including a patch/update. I wonder if there will be official updates and unofficial patches for a few outlying users? BUT that's OT and for another thread.

If there's a possibility of a second legacy patch feed, then it's worth making a list, so I'll start another thread or maybe just add a second tier to the service pack list. It's notable that many of the recent top fixes are on these forums - maybe we CAN make that Service Pack / Super Patch!

Thanks for your answer.
    It won't be a second feed, but actually MANUALLY updating the legacy patch feeds. It's a tedious job, because there's an individual feed for each webOS version, but seeing the small amount of patches that are being created it should be do-able though. The patch portal automated all that.....
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Why build them into the release - assuming it's not a critical patch - and then allow people to enable/disable them via tweaks? - Let me first say that I understand the second half (people should have the right to choose which patches to use). But why include them in the main OS?

Preemptive already pointed out the bloating-risk. And we all know that people hate pre-installed software that they don't use but can't get rid of completely. So why not download it when needed (basically as we do now)?

Now I think there are some interesting considerations to to make about patching. Should someone be allowed to make a patch commercial (and why not, they did the work)? - Should we have two kinds of patches: A. system-patches and B. plug-in like patches? - I really would love to see the latter for our (standard)-apps, but then one would need to create an API for that (but can you imagine the possibilities (beyond synergy)...one app a thousand possibilities; users can make their apps as simple, as advanced, or as specialized as they like).

So in short, I think it's good to think about the role of patches in LuneOS. I don't think it's a good idea to have them distributed in the build itself. Some patches will be adopted by the OS for sure (and one might still allow turning them off in Tweaks), but those stop being patches and become optional features.

ps. I almost missed this discussion because the thread was not relevant to me. I really think this warrants a new thread to see the community's opinion on patches in LuneOS and where to go with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misj' View Post
    Why build them into the release - assuming it's not a critical patch - and then allow people to enable/disable them via tweaks? - Let me first say that I understand the second half (people should have the right to choose which patches to use). But why include them in the main OS?

Preemptive already pointed out the bloating-risk. And we all know that people hate pre-installed software that they don't use but can't get rid of completely. So why not download it when needed (basically as we do now)?

Now I think there are some interesting considerations to to make about patching. Should someone be allowed to make a patch commercial (and why not, they did the work)? - Should we have two kinds of patches: A. system-patches and B. plug-in like patches? - I really would love to see the latter for our (standard)-apps, but then one would need to create an API for that (but can you imagine the possibilities (beyond synergy)...one app a thousand possibilities; users can make their apps as simple, as advanced, or as specialized as they like).

So in short, I think it's good to think about the role of patches in LuneOS. I don't think it's a good idea to have them distributed in the build itself. Some patches will be adopted by the OS for sure (and one might still allow turning them off in Tweaks), but those stop being patches and become optional features.

ps. I almost missed this discussion because the thread was not relevant to me. I really think this warrants a new thread to see the community's opinion on patches in LuneOS and where to go with it.
    The problem with patches is that there are constant changes to pretty much every single part of the OS. These changes will invalidate the patches and will require them to be updated which is gonna be a real pain. Therefore Tweaks for now is the "best" option. That might change down the line once we get into a more stable OS, but that's not going to be anywhere in the near future.

I know the Tweaks route is not ideal but a lot of patches from legacy should have just been there in the first place as options/features but weren't.
    Preemptive likes this.
    I made a new thread for this. I don't know how much discussion there will be now, but maybe someone will blow the dust off when LuneOS is more stable.
    Discussion of Updates (patches) to LuneOS

I've invited people to list patches in the service pack thread.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234