webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch] Change Number of Bookmarks in Browser
[Patch] Change Number of Bookmarks in Browser

Old 11/19/2009, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

This is the thread for the Change Number of Bookmarks in Browser Patch.

Description
This patch will enable you to change the number of bookmarks that appear on the start page of the browser instead of the standard 12. This patch is for WebOS 1.3.1.

whole.png

Install Instructions
Update: You can now just download one of the preset files that will show the number of bookmarks that is at the end of the file name. So, Change-Number-of-Bookmarks-36.patch will show 36 bookmarks. Follow the install instructions with QI below. I have added patches for 24, 36, 48, 75, and 100 bookmarks to be shown. If you want a specific number that is not there and you don't know how to modify the files, then just PM me.

Download the .patch file from below. Save it somewhere on your computer. Use NOTEPAD to open the file. Change the place that is capitalized...you just need to add a number (I used 48). Save the file once you are done editing it. Open Quick Install (http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html) and click on the plus icon on the right hand side. Find the .patch file wherever you saved it on your computer and click on it. Then, simply hit install. Once the patch installs, QI will automatically restart your phone and you should be all set!

Download
Change-Number-of-Bookmarks-24.patch
Change-Number-of-Bookmarks-36.patch
Change-Number-of-Bookmarks-48.patch
Change-Number-of-Bookmarks-75.patch
Change-Number-of-Bookmarks-100.patch
Change-Number-of-Bookmarks.patch

Planned Updates
None...

Change Log
11/20/09 - released multiple versions that have preset numbers of bookmarks to be shown and added screenshot (poor attempt, but should give an idea)
11/19/09 - released version 1 for WebOS 1.3.1

Enjoy!
-jmartino2011
-Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"

Last edited by jmartino2011; 11/20/2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added screenshot
jmartino2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

any screen shots?
trim81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2009, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

edit: just installed it, it blanks out the screen...(all white) and I cannot even launch the browser...

removed the patch, and I am back to default.

I think theres a bug somewhere
Old 11/20/2009, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
edit: just installed it, it blanks out the screen...(all white) and I cannot even launch the browser...
Trim81: Did you modify the .patch file before you installed it via QI? When you open up the file with Notepad, then you will see this line in there - this._maxShowCount = *******ENTER NUMBER OF BOOKMARKS YOU WANT TO SEE, ex: 48 to see 48 bookmarks*******; You need to delete everything between the stars including the stars and replace it with a number of your choosing. If you chose 48, then it would look like this._maxShowCount = 48;. Then, the entire file would look like
Description: Change the number of bookmarks that show on the start page of the browser, instead of just the first 12 bookmarks you have

---.orig/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/startpage-assistant.js

+++ /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/startpage-assistant.js

@@ -7,7 +7,7 @@
this._destinationUrl = params.lastUrl;
this._orientation = params.orientation || 'up';
this._bookmarks = [];
- this._maxShowCount = 12;
+ this._maxShowCount = 48;
this.store = new BookmarkStore({database: Mojo.Controller.appController.assistant.getDatabase()
});

Then, simply save the file and install with QI.

Alternatively, you can try downloading the patch from Preware (it has 100 as the default number of bookmarks) and install it that way.

Thanks!

jmartino2011

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
Thanked by arsenalrule, wroy12
Old 11/20/2009, 07:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

what I did was download the patch from post #1, installed it with quick install...it came up a white screen.

I can try again later tonight w/ preware.

Could you please post a screenshot how it is supposed to look?

thanks
Old 11/20/2009, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

jmartino2011 wouldn't it be best instead of users adding our own number for bookmarks, there was different versions of this patch with different numbers. If the standard is 12 you could have an 18, 24, 36, 48 bookmark patch. Then you could submit it for preware. Just an idea
One_Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2009, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
jmartino2011 wouldn't it be best instead of users adding our own number for bookmarks, there was different versions of this patch with different numbers. If the standard is 12 you could have an 18, 24, 36, 48 bookmark patch. Then you could submit it for preware. Just an idea
That is a good idea OneDeep. I submitted a version with 100 to Preware last night and it is now in the patches repository. Think I should add different versions? What I would like to do is make a simple application that would enable people to choose how many they want and then the app would run the patch, but i'm not sure where to start and need to do some learning first. know of any good tutorials on how to write apps? The ones that Palm put out with their SDK didn't really describe well how to write an app from scratch.

Thanks!

"Freedom isn't free"
Thanked By: wroy12
Old 11/20/2009, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

trim81: Added a screenshot that I through together quickly in photoshop. Basically, the patch just makes it show you can scroll through all of your bookmarks instead of having to go to the menu > bookmarks > select bookmark you want. You will not see all of your bookmarks when you first launch the browser, but you can scroll through them. more clear now?

If you notice, in the screenshot I have 19 bookmarks which all show up even though I installed the 100 patch from preware. If you added more bookmarks, they would show up as well. Having a number for the maxcount greater than your actual count creates no problems.

"Freedom isn't free"

Last edited by jmartino2011; 11/20/2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: added more explanation
Thanked By: wroy12
Old 01/15/2010, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi jmartino2011,

Thank for your work, your patch is one of favorites in my PRE.
But i need help for my web browser. It's GSM 1.3.5.2 european version and just upgrade several date ago.
Now web browser was display blank cannot see any web page.
I install your patch with preware when on the way to office.
After reboot my PRE. I find that the bookmarks page start no work.
It's keep loading and never show web page content.
I remove the patch with WebOS QI and rebook my PRE again.
But it's still not work. So i try to remove all bookmarks and create new to test.
Unfortunately it's not successful. Finally i install you patch again several time.
It's show below error log:

"IPKG Log
Install
Begin installing of org.webosinternals.patches.browser-change-number-of-bookmarks-on-startpage
Installong org.webosinternals.patches.browser-change-number-of-bookmarks-on-startpage (1.3.5-1) or root....
Downloading http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-....3.5-1_all.ipk
Configuring org.webosinternals.patches.browser-number-number-of-bookmarks-on-startpage

Confirm
User consent requested for post-install scrit execution

Approve
User approved post-install script execution

Unlock
Nothing interestiog.

Postinst
can't find file to patch at input line 8
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option ?
The text leading up to this was:
-----------------------------------
Name: Change-Number-of -Bookmarks
Version: 1.3.1-1
Author: jmartino2011
Description: Change the numberof bookmarks that show on the start page of the browser, instead of just the first 12 bookmarks you have

--- .org/urs/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/startpage-assistant.js
+++ /urs/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/startpage-assistant.js
------------------------------------

File to patch
Skip this pathc ? [y]
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.browser-change-number-of-bookmarks-on-startpage from root....

LockNothing interesting

Romove
No packages removed.
Nothing to be done

Failed
ErrorGenericMethodException:Failure during post-install script execution "

Do you have any idea to fix my pre ?
Thanks for you help.

Regards
Roy
wroy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2010, 07:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

hey roy,

i am really sorry that you are having trouble with my patch. I am not 100% sure why you are having this problem. My best guess looking over your error message is that the file that I originally patched has changed on the 1.3.5.2 version in Europe. You see, we americans are still on 1.3.5.1. The file that is being patched is /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/startpage-assistant.js. Your error message "can't find file to patch at input line 8" makes me think that the file startpage-assistant.js is no longer in the location that it is in for all the older versions of webos and the us version 1.3.5.1 (b/c this patch works for me). The patch was never installed according to your error message (1 out of 1 hunk ignored
Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.browser-change-number-of-bookmarks-on-startpage from root....

LockNothing interesting

Romove
No packages removed.
Nothing to be done), so I am not sure what got screwed up.

Do you have Internalz on your phone? If you do, please try and navigate to the folder that I mentioned in this post, and see if the startpage-assistant.js file is in that folder. My suspicion is that it is not. I will try and find the 1.3.5.2 webos doctor file so that I can extract the files and look at them. I am sorry again that you are having this trouble. If you can list for me what files are in /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/app/controllers/, then I may be able to help you. If you do not want to wait and not be able to use your browser, then the best I can recommend is try using Emergency Patch Recovery from Preware to remove all of your patches, reset your phone, and then restart it to see if the browser is working. I hate to say it, but the quickest solution I can think of would be to doctor your phone. However, this may be unacceptable to you. I will do my best to continue to try to help you solve your problem.

John

"Freedom isn't free"
Old 01/20/2010, 11:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hi John,

Thanks for your help.

I check my Pre with Internalz and find only below files in the path.
addressbar.js
app-assistant.js
bookmark-dialog-assistant.js
bookmarks-assistant.js
customizeicon-assistant.js
date.js
download-controller.js
download-request.js
history-assistant.js
networkdialog-assistant.js
page-applicationmenu.js
page-assistant.js
pageassistant.js.orig
page-controls.js
page-nativgationmenu.js
page-progressanimation.js
page-searchanimation.js
preferences-assistant.js
url-util.js
urlbar.js
urlsearch-controller.js
widget_webview.js

It's missing "startpage-assistant.js" as you say. I will find this file and try to restore in my Pre. I will let you know the result.

Thank again.

Roy
Thanked By: jmartino2011
Old 01/21/2010, 09:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Great and thanks

I using probably in my gsm palm pre 1.3.5.2
ppcjacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2010, 10:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hi John

Finally i use doctor repair my Pre. Cause i find another problem 'too many cards'.
Anyway thanks for your help.

Roy
Old 01/27/2010, 04:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wroy12 View Post
Hi John

Finally i use doctor repair my Pre. Cause i find another problem 'too many cards'.
Anyway thanks for your help.

Roy
sorry Roy, if we ever get 1.3.5.2 or once 1.4 comes out, I'll take a look at the files and see if ours changes as well. If it does, I'll be sure to get an update out there so that everyone can use the patch again.

thanks,

john

"Freedom isn't free"
Thanked By: jpaulson
Old 09/13/2010, 08:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

This patch was working w/ 100 for quite a while. It's no longer a hundred anymore, was it 1.4.5 or did some go wrong? When I'm in the browser and hit the bookmarks list button (Jason Robitaille's patch) it list all of my bookmarks fine. I no longer see all 100 when I open the browser as this patch once did. Anyone else experience this?
JohnnyPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2010, 09:44 AM   #16 (permalink)

i don't have 100 bookmarks, but mine shows all of my bookmarks, which is more than the stock 12...not sure dude

"Freedom isn't free"

Tags
bookmark, bookmarks, browser, patch

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0