webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Patches > [Patch] Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time
[Patch] Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time

Old 11/19/2009, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

This is the thread for the Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time Patch.

Unknown_2009-19-11_212646.png

Description
This patch will enable you to change the carrier string, as well as change the color of the carrier string and the date/time string, for WebOS 1.3.1

Install Instructions
Download the .patch file from below. Save it somewhere on your computer. Use NOTEPAD to open the file. Change the four places that are capitalized...you should change two values for the carrier string inside the quotes and then two values for the colors (the colors can be different). You can find the six digit hex codes of html colors at Web colors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Save the file once you are done editing it. Open Quick Install (http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html) and click on the plus icon on the right hand side. Find the .patch file wherever you saved it on your computer and click on it. Then, simply hit install. Once the patch installs, QI will automatically restart your phone and you should be all set!

Download
Change-Carrier-String-and-Color.patch

Planned Updates
None...

Change Log
11/19/09 - released version 1 for WebOS 1.3.1

Enjoy!
-jmartino2011
-Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
jmartino2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2009, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

If anyone tries this patch and has success with it, can you please comment? I checked it in the emulator, but want to make sure there are no problems on real phones.

Thanks!

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
Thanked By: vothelan
Old 11/20/2009, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just installed it using WOSQI, and it seems to be working fine for me. THANKS!

Rob
Thanked By: jmartino2011
Old 11/20/2009, 11:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartino2011 View Post
This is the thread for the Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time Patch.

Attachment 37411

Description
This patch will enable you to change the carrier string, as well as change the color of the carrier string and the date/time string, for WebOS 1.3.1

Install Instructions
Download the .patch file from below. Save it somewhere on your computer. Use NOTEPAD to open the file. Change the four places that are capitalized...you should change two values for the carrier string inside the quotes and then two values for the colors (the colors can be different). You can find the six digit hex codes of html colors at Web colors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Save the file once you are done editing it. Open Quick Install (http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html) and click on the plus icon on the right hand side. Find the .patch file wherever you saved it on your computer and click on it. Then, simply hit install. Once the patch installs, QI will automatically restart your phone and you should be all set!

Download
Attachment 37412

Planned Updates
None...

Change Log
11/19/09 - released version 1 for WebOS 1.3.1

Enjoy!
-jmartino2011
Is this just Jasons Patches repackaged?

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

2sslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2009, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
Is this just Jasons Patches repackaged?
The only patch that I saw Jason had made was the carrier string change. It is different code (not very impressive, I just did it differently) and includes the change in color of the carrier string and date/time. I am not trying to take credit for other people's work, I was trying to put out an inclusive patch. I am definitely not trying to take any credit away from Jason, because he has enabled all of us to do so much with our phones.

"Freedom isn't free"
Thanked by ChemEngr, Shadavis08
Old 11/21/2009, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Is this in Preware? It looks really good with the date and time in the top bar a different color. Kudos!
Old 11/21/2009, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

went ahead and installed with wosqi - getting this error. rebooted and nothing was changed on the top bar. btw, I have the "More Blue" theme installed. any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error.JPG (26.8 KB, 61 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by ChemEngr; 11/21/2009 at 02:28 PM.
ChemEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2009, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
went ahead and installed with wosqi - getting this error. rebooted and nothing was changed on the top bar. btw, I have the "More Blue" theme installed. any ideas?
can you post your .patch modified file that you installed via QI? Your modifications to the carrier string worked, but it looks like the color change for the carrier string had an error in the code. If you can show me that code, then I can figure out what went wrong.

btw, it'd be hard to put into Preware as a patch because it requires modification by the user to make it personal. I would like to make an app that would enable people to install and then change it whenever they wanted. that's on the horizon, hopefully....you can email me your .patch at jmartino2011@gmail.com or post it here.

"Freedom isn't free"
Old 11/21/2009, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the quick response. Patch attached. btw, I used your example colors and tried with and w/o # in front. Thanks for your efforts so far.
Attached Files
File Type: patch Change-Carrier-String-and-Color.patch (1.6 KB, 53 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by ChemEngr; 11/21/2009 at 05:02 PM.
ChemEngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2009, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Patch attached. btw, I used your example colors and tried with and w/o # in front. Thanks for your efforts so far.
Hey ChemEngr, first off, the # in front of the six-digit hex code is necessary. You said previously that you were using the More Blue theme correct? I looked at it on Preware, and the file on preware showed that the carrier string and date/time text was already changed to the color blue. Is this how it is on your phone as well? The way that the patch works is that it compares the file /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css on your phone to the one that is included in the patch. The -color: #fff; line under carrier means it is taking that line out of the file on your phone and replacing it with the text after the plus sign in +color: #0000FF;. This way, it changes from the default color fff (which is white) to 0000FF which is blue. The point of me telling you this is that in order to perform the comparison, Quick Install must be able to find the correct place in the file on your phone. So, your phone file must look like:

#carrier {
float: left;
color: #fff;
margin-left: 2px;
white-space: nowrap;
overflow: hidden;
}

If the file on your phone doesn't look like this, then Quick Install won't be able to apply the patch, and you will get an error message saying that the hunk failed at line whatever (btw, the line that your error message said it failed at should correspond approximately to the 90 and 91 in this text from the patch: @@ -90,7 +91,7 @@. Here, the -90,7 means that it is removing line 90 and the patch is showing seven total lines and the +91,7 means it is adding in line 91 for a total of 7 lines still). There are two common ways that the file on your phone won't match the text in the patch, giving an error message: 1) the person writing the patch made a mistake writing the code so that it looks different than the file 2) you have already modified the phone file by applying another patch, e.g. like the one included in the More Blue theme to turn the carrier string and date/time strings blue. Since I know this patch works and others have told me it works, then I assume the second case to be true.

If you want to keep the text of the carrier string and date/time blue, then you can modify the patch yourself to take out the change color parts and just have the modify carrier string part. To do this, open the patch file with Notepad and delete everything starting with ---.orig/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/stylesheets/systemui.css. Then, apply the patch using Quick Install to just modify the carrier string.

If you are interested, the other part of your error message had some interesting information. The first two hunks that succeeded were offset by a certain number of lines. This was shown because when I wrote the patch, I specified to Preware in the .patch file that it should look at lines 480 and 829 for the lines to edit for the carrier string. Since you have the More Blue theme installed which has already modified the bar-assistant.js file, there is more code than the original file. So, that more code has displaced the lines that needed to be modified, which is why Quick Install said that the lines were offset from where I said they should be. Also, the last line said that 1 of 2 hunks failed, which is why the patch couldn't be applied. The line above says that Hunk 2 failed at line 91. Therefore, we must assume that Hunk 1 succeeded. If you look at the patch, Hunk 1 is the one modifying the date/time string. Since the patch shows that in that hunk, we are just adding a line, quick install does not have to find a specific line in order to do apply the patch. However, in hunk 2, it has to find the specific line color: #fff; to remove it. That is why hunk 1 succeeded and hunk 2 failed. If none of this made sense, then forget it. I am learning as I go, and I thought you might like to know what the error message meant.

jmartino2011

"Freedom isn't free"
Old 11/21/2009, 07:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

That was a very thorough explanation that I can now apply to the other patches I see having errors. One in paticular is keytoss. I will look at the line the patch is referencing and make the changes. Thanks a lot!
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2009, 07:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

you are welcome...to be honest, i learned most of it by figuring out how the patch file was created (using Jason's Unified Diff Creator and reading online about patch files).

"Freedom isn't free"
Old 11/21/2009, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have a favor to ask!

could you (when you get time) make a patch for me to make the font bigger in these locations?

in systemui.css

font size 21

.status-bar
.clock
.appname-wrapper
.carrier-wrapper

If you cant I understand!

BTW I am using a patch I made using theme builder to change carrier string and font color then extracted the .patch and installed via WebOsQuickInstaller.

I asked Jason but I know he is very busy also.

I meant no offence by my earlier post... was just asking!

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Old 11/21/2009, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

get to it tonight...i'll post it soon

"Freedom isn't free"
Old 11/21/2009, 07:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

hey 2sslow, first off, no offense taken...I don't want anyone to think i am copying anyone else's work, though Jason's work has been integral to me even learning how to do anything. It's all good...

second, here is your patch...I like the way this looks! Mind if I submit this to Preware as a patch for others who want to be able to see their clocks more easily? I will give you credit for the idea! Let me know...

here's the patch thread...http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...font-size.html

enjoy!

jmartino2011

"Freedom isn't free"

Last edited by jmartino2011; 11/21/2009 at 11:05 PM.
Thanked by 2sslow, ChemEngr
Old 11/21/2009, 08:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
hey 2sslow, first off, no offense taken...I don't want anyone to think i am copying anyone else's work, though Jason's work has been integral to me even learning how to do anything. It's all good...

second, here is your patch...I like the way this looks! Mind if I submit this to Preware as a patch for others who want to be able to see their clocks more easily? I will give you credit for the idea! Let me know...

here's the patch...Attachment 37555

enjoy!

jmartino2011
Thank you and by all means submit it to preware...

This is a mod that I have been doing myself since 1.1 just dont have the skills to create a patch.

EDIT: works great!

Follow the link below.

Thanked By: ChemEngr
Old 11/21/2009, 08:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hey is there any way to add the ability to add the popup alert change color as well. I have changed my Charge, usb menu to blue but I would love to be able to do it with a patch. That is the last thing I have hard coded. I tried it but when I did it I tried them both on one patch and when I installed it. Somehow it didn't show I had any patches although I had them all, So I was a little scared to mess with it anymore.

@2slow I have used lots of your work. I learned how to do patches by going to http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...f-creator.html

Trust I learned by trial and error, very easy to do.
mamouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2009, 10:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
Hey is there any way to add the ability to add the popup alert change color as well. I have changed my Charge, usb menu to blue but I would love to be able to do it with a patch. That is the last thing I have hard coded. I tried it but when I did it I tried them both on one patch and when I installed it. Somehow it didn't show I had any patches although I had them all, So I was a little scared to mess with it anymore.

@2slow I have used lots of your work. I learned how to do patches by going to http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...f-creator.html

Trust I learned by trial and error, very easy to do.
Thanks for the comments.

I probably should try my hand at patching...I wasn't going to attempt rooting at first, but back then there was no other way to do any tweaking w/out it so I did it...It was pretty easy after plenty of reading.

Follow the link below.

Old 11/21/2009, 10:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
if you send me the code that you did, then i can try and create a patch.

"Freedom isn't free"
Old 11/21/2009, 10:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

Quote:

here's the patch...Attachment 37555

enjoy!

jmartino2011
Great job! I really like the bigger fonts on the top bar. It applied even with the MoreBlue theme on. Now if you can make a 'change the color' patch it would be perfect. I attached a screenshot for people to see. I'm sorry if it's nitpicky but is it possible to make the battery % numbers be in line with the other texts? Then it would look polished. Thanks all for your hard work. Loving the board!
Attached Images
File Type: png Unknown_2009-21-11_201153.png (247.1 KB, 73 views) Email Attachment

Tags
carrier string, colors, date and time, patch, top bar

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0