1.    #1  
    Attached is a patch to have your phone immediately answer to speaker phone. Since the phone doesn't have a button that answers the call to speaker phone, I wanted a solution that worked easily while driving. Ideally I'd like to use the center button but until we have an API for that, I've come up with two solutions. The thread where this patch started is here: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ne-answer.html

The first solution is to use the slider. I've attached two patches for that here, one for 1.2.1 and one for 1.3.1. It works whether or not the phone is locked, and works well.

The second solution is to use the volume rocker. I'll be posting that one later.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ALuckyGuy; 11/19/2009 at 01:12 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Both slider patches have been sent for inclusion in the standard Web OS repository. The original did not answer when the phone was locked.
    Nice!!! Just subscribing to the thread, in expectance of the "volume rocker to speaker" patch.
  4.    #4  
    It would be here already but I lost my source code when 1.3.1 sent my Pre to the "doctor". Now I have to remember how I did it.
    Last edited by ALuckyGuy; 11/23/2009 at 07:37 PM.
    NICE!!

Then we can work on the 1 second hold before it actually answers!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Why not just add another button to the screen that answers (and calls!) directly with speakerphone?
    Hello,

I just wanted to let the developer (thank you for your work btw) and anyone who may apply this patch to know that if you leave your phone sitting w/ the slider in the up/open position this patch will cause the phone to automatically answer any incoming calls w/out notifying you. There will be no ring/vibration on your end although the caller will hear a ring. After one ring on their end the phone automatically answers w/out alerting you. This could be quite troublesome due to unwanted calls being answered or someone hearing conversations, etc. that they aren't meant to hear.

It took a few calls for me to realize what may be happening so I removed the patch & the phone quit auto answering.

I will keep an eye out for this issue to be fixed as I fully appreciate the reasoning behind the patch due to safety reasons concerning cell usage while driving.

Thanks again developer. Your contributions are greatly appreciated!!!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbern8 View Post
    Why not just add another button to the screen that answers (and calls!) directly with speakerphone?
    Actually, I tried to do that first and have not yet been successful. As I get time I will probably keep trying if only because I hate to give up on something, but my time is limited - 5 kids & a wife - so I don't get a lot of time to play with my phone.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 13ComingDown View Post
    Hello,

I just wanted to let the developer (thank you for your work btw) and anyone who may apply this patch to know that if you leave your phone sitting w/ the slider in the up/open position this patch will cause the phone to automatically answer any incoming calls w/out notifying you. There will be no ring/vibration on your end although the caller will hear a ring. After one ring on their end the phone automatically answers w/out alerting you. This could be quite troublesome due to unwanted calls being answered or someone hearing conversations, etc. that they aren't meant to hear.
    Hmmm, this is puzzling. I'm not getting this behavior at all and I've been trying to reproduce it. Can you test this some more and verify it's easily reproducable?

And anyone else reading along with the patch, please try it yourself and see if you can reproduce this and post back.

I have however seen the phone doing something strange - and I believe unrelated to this patch - since the 1.3.1 update. While on one call and another comes in, after accepting the new call, ending it, and then transfering back the original call, things get squirrelly. I've had the call seemingly end and then while I'm redialing, reconnect itself. The person on the other end never has their phone ring and doesn't have to answer, so it's like the phone call never ended, but the Pre acts as if it has. This has happened numerous times on one call. Palm made quite a few unusual code changes to the Phone app with 1.3.1 - in particular around the code the handles unlocking and answering the call - and I think introduced some new bugs.
  10.    #10  
    Here's the patch I mentioned ealier. This enables the volume rocker to answer the phone to speaker phone.

I prefer this to the slider patch myself as it's easier to do when your phone's in a dash mount holder, and isn't dependent on the phone being closed. It does however have one drawback: if the phone is locked when the call comes in answering it with the rocker does not unlock the phone, and thus after answering the phone's screen goes back to the "locked" display and turns off in a few seconds. You don't get a visual cue to indicate the call has been answered, unless you consider the screen going to the locked display to be a cue.

If you try this patch, please post back with your results. I'll create a separate thread for this and post it to the web-os internals repository once I get a few others confirming it works ok for them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It does work, I am waiting to test it when the phone is locked. Is there a quick way to lock it? As I think about this I would be afraid the rocker would depress while in the pocket and answer the phone accidentally.
    hey I like the volume to answer to speaker idea, but I ran into a bug. When I started typing in card view, and the launcher popped up, but universal search didn't. No contact or app matches, and no website search options. I know it has something to do with the volume call to speaker patch because it was the last thing I installed, and I took it off again and my universal search back up and running. Anyone else having this problem?
    I didn't run into that problem. My issue was I would silence the call and put the phone back in my pocket and inadvertently hit the volume button and the call would be answered. I took it off and put back open slider to answer in speakerphone.
    Last edited by mamouton; 12/06/2009 at 01:45 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    hey I like the volume to answer to speaker idea, but I ran into a bug. When I started typing in card view, and the launcher popped up, but universal search didn't. No contact or app matches, and no website search options. I know it has something to do with the volume call to speaker patch because it was the last thing I installed, and I took it off again and my universal search back up and running. Anyone else having this problem?
    i've not seen this problem, and can't even imagine how it could be related to this patch. The patch modifies 1 file, and its only used by WebOS when processing an incoming call. It's more likely related to a different patch, or to whichever tool you were using to apply the patch.

if you don't mind, could you try reinstalling again? Make sure you restart you phone after installing it too.
    ive been using quick install 2.9. I reinstalled, and restarted whole phone, and universal search is doing fine this time but then my phone restarted itself, but i think thats an unrelated issue that ive been having sometimes.

i havnt tested this yet, but do you kno if your patch will override bluetooth? thats what im looking for, something to override my bluetooth headphones when im listening to music, because for calls i go to my phone, so i was hoping this patch would make bluetooth turn off/asnswer to speaker/put the phone mic in use for the call and not the mic on my headphones. ill test this out in a bit, thanks

-update- from bluetooth to speaker via volume rocker patch: the call went to speaker for the first few seconds, then went back to my bluetooth headphones. idk if im gna continue using this patch for that reason, but for what it was made for i think it works well, good job
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 12/06/2009 at 03:47 PM.