Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Can anyone tell me why I still get the IPKG install error? I had VK on 1.2.1, it wokred fine, I removed it using preware before the upgrade to 1.3.1, but now I can't install it.
    Hey guys,

Sorry to hijack the thread but...

whats the difference between an app and a patch. To me, this seems like an app, since its not a native option on the pre.

thanks
    I was getting IPKG errors on 1.2.1 occassionally. I upgraded to 1.3.1 reinstalled everything and haven't had one IPKG error. I upgraded Quick Install before the upgrade and ran the EPR routine, then ran the Preware EPR routine, then removed my Theme and then upgraded. Everything has been very smooth. I know others are having problems, but I get a feeling its mostly that their Pre auto updated or they forgot to remove Patches and Themes I think.

You may want to Doctor your system, then upgrade to 1.3.1 then install the latest version of Quick Install again and then Preware. I use Preware to install, but use Quick Install to remove all mods before upgrading.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bikini View Post
    Can anyone tell me why I still get the IPKG install error? I had VK on 1.2.1, it wokred fine, I removed it using preware before the upgrade to 1.3.1, but now I can't install it.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    I updated my feeds in Preware, and it installed properly.

Thanks. I tried installing several times with no success. It would always do the luna restart but never ask for "ok" to run script. After updating feeds it worked perfect.
    Last edited by scheel; 11/18/2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: forgot quote
    Just installed via preware, works fine. Makes me remember why I hate touch screen keyboards. But I will use it on occasion single handed or in landscape.
    The only reason I wanted this was to quickly type a name when using the dialer without having to open the phone (quick one-handed operation). As it seems to not work with the dialer it doesn't do me a lot of good. If I'm going to text or enter memos the hw keybd is a better choice (for me). I'm glad it's available though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Installed fine for me, but ...... I strongly dislike it. Keys are way too small, impossible to tell which key you hit, takes up too much screen real estate, I am uninstalling and will stick with the real keyboard. Its just not for me.

However, I am very much appreciative that it is there for those who want it so badly!!!
    so you want bigger keys but for it to take up less of the screen? not sure how that would be possible..
    This signature for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by yungwunn911 View Post
    whats the difference between an app and a patch. To me, this seems like an app, since its not a native option on the pre.
    An app simply adds files to your pre so that a new program shows up in the launcher, a patch also (or solely) modifies pre-existing system files. Patching therefore carries a certain amount of risk which gets multiplied (and complicates the uninstall) when several different patches modify the same file. That said, the WebOS Internals guys have done a great job of implementing standards for patch deployment that allow this risk to be virtually eliminated...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    hi all, is it me or there is still a problem sometimes with the backspace key. I tried to fill in a form, but after the first field i genstured for the second one and on it I made a mistake.... the backspace would not fix it. Also, sometimes the keyboard will not go away after I fill in a field with the one tap. Any one having this problem too??
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Yes, Backspace key is not working for me either.
    I've always used hard keyboards (see sig), but this is my first slider and just to save wear and tear on the Pre just to type "K" or "No" makes the VK a nice utility. Works really well too if you use the landscape orientation of messager and email - if I'm not in a hurry, I go to landscape mode and practice typing on the VK. I now always put the pre in landscape when on the TS too so again the VK comes in handy for short replies without taking it off the TS. So i'm finding it quite useful. Big thanks to the dev community.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    AWESOME

greatly apPREtiate (lolz) the VK patch. But next update can we get it to have a faster response time? Idk if it's just me but I get into typing on it and when I stop it takes a few seconds to render and/or find it lagging with each keystroke.

I know it will just get better with time so I'll be waiting to see this to work just as well as the physical keyboard
    Very weird. I also tried installing multiple times - including hitting the "Update Feeds" menu option multiple times and it didn't install - never got the "script" message, just the message to restart luna. Finally on the fifth or so time, in installed properly.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    keyboard is awesome, thanks for the hard work everybody!
    Just installed (took two times for some reason) and I love it. I never thought I wanted a Virtual Keyboard but now I can think of many times I might use it.

In my limited testing so far, I have found that the backspace doesn't work in web forms (like this forum), but is does work in the messaging application. I don't know if this helps troubleshoot, but there you have it. haha
    mine works fine!!!

great work!!!
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I just reinstalled it. It would install without issue, but when I double tapped it would not come up. If you had vk before the update it left a folder on the pre which is probably still there even after you removed it for the 1.3.1 update just as I did. So essentially I just deleted the vk folder from pre and reinstalled and it worked properly. This may be one thing to try if you had it before the 1.3.1.
    Please add a patch to it that allows for a T9 mode! I miss one handed texting
    I'm having many of the issues others have described. I had VK with the previous OS version. Once webOS 1.3.1 was available, I downloaded it and reinstalled all my patches (that I had removed before updating to 1.3.1). Once the new VK was available for 1.3.1, I've tried, unsuccessfully, to install it. I see it in the available patches, hit "install" and then I get the "restart Luna." I do not get the "script" warning. After luna restarts, I do not see the VK installed. I hooked up my Pre to my laptop via USB and saw the old VK folder. I deleted that one and tried again. No luck. I even uninstalled Preware and reinstalled it (per another suggestion). Still, no luck. I tried uninstalling my theme and then tried to install VK and still no luck. Can someone PLEASE help??? This is pretty frustrating and I think will be my last attempt. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by steelydad View Post
    I'm having many of the issues others have described. I had VK with the previous OS version. Once webOS 1.3.1 was available, I downloaded it and reinstalled all my patches (that I had removed before updating to 1.3.1). Once the new VK was available for 1.3.1, I've tried, unsuccessfully, to install it. I see it in the available patches, hit "install" and then I get the "restart Luna." I do not get the "script" warning. After luna restarts, I do not see the VK installed. I hooked up my Pre to my laptop via USB and saw the old VK folder. I deleted that one and tried again. No luck. I even uninstalled Preware and reinstalled it (per another suggestion). Still, no luck. I tried uninstalling my theme and then tried to install VK and still no luck. Can someone PLEASE help??? This is pretty frustrating and I think will be my last attempt. Thanks!

reboot, update feeds

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast