Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Now that several of you have updated to 1.3.1 and have re-installed preware, tweaks and such, which ones have had problems and which ones are " safe". I'm thinking of installing Preware for the first time and I don't want to create more problems by putting in tweaks that are " allergic" to the new update. Thanks
    I don't think there's an cause for alarm. My experience has been that incompatible apps & patches just won't install. No worries.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Ok so I installed Preware from WebOs Quick install ( very easy) And everything went smooth. I know that you MUST remove tweaks and themes BEFORE next update: How do you do that? My second question is: Does Preware itself need to be removed before updates? And a general question: Why do themes and tweaks need to be removed before updates? Thanks
    You can either go one by one in preware (in the installed category) and click uninstall, or search for the 'Emergency Patch Removal Tool'.

Homebrew Apps don't need to be uninstalled, but all patches do. Preware relies on the Package Manager Service, which I personally like to remove because of it's nature, but the Preware thread will probably detail wither or not an update from palm will require an uninstallation.
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    And a general question: Why do themes and tweaks need to be removed before updates? Thanks
    Themes and tweaks modify system files and could possibly add files of their own. If you don't remove them before running the update you run the risk of leaving remnant files. Then after the update, the themes / tweaks won't reinstall properly because it detects that it's already installed.
    FirstTimer,

Here are the answers to all of your questions:

Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes

- Craig
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    When preparing for an update, does Preware and Package Manager need to be uninstalled before update? or just tweaks, patches and themes?
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    When preparing for an update, does Preware and Package Manager need to be uninstalled before update? or just tweaks, patches and themes?
    I've never uninstalled Preware or package manager before an update. My Pre is still running like a champ. Usually, when an WebOS update is released (or even just prior to a new release), you'll see a newer version of Package manger. The new version will have a description of when it's needed (prior or post WebOS update).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!