Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 333839404142434445 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    when I download the file my phone says the file is not supported. But I can not delete this patch so I either want to fix it or get rid of it. Plz give me a step to step guide on deleting or fixing this patch.
    EPR was the ONLY solution that worked for me...
    EPR was the one that worked for me, after the last OTA update, as well. It's not so bad...
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by carterl09 View Post
    when I download the file my phone says the file is not supported. But I can not delete this patch so I either want to fix it or get rid of it. Plz give me a step to step guide on deleting or fixing this patch.
    if you are in my situation you won't be able to remove it or update it NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, just forget about it
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    crowning73, did you install the patch using preware? If so, I can post step by step instructions to remove it.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    The steps below will remove this patch, if and only if it was originally installed using Preware. You must have command line access to the Pre.

1. Using Preware, remove any and all patches that affect one or more of the sounds and alerts, messaging or contacts applications. If a patch touches any of these three apps, remove it.

2. From the command line, run the following:

mount -o rw,remount /

ipkg -o /media/cryptofs/apps remove \
    org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-sms-tone-per-contact

rm /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.contacts/app/views/edit/msgtones.html

cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.soundsandalerts/app

cp views/soundsalertsconfig/soundsalertsconfig-scene.html.webosinternals.orig \
    views/soundsalertsconfig/soundsalertsconfig-scene.html

cp models/SystemService.jsjsjs.$webosinternals$.$orig$ $models$/$SystemService$.$js$

cp controllers/soundsalertsconfig-assistant.jsjsjs.$webosinternals$.$orig$ \
    controllers/soundsalertsconfig-assistant.jsjsjs

cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.contacts/app

cp controllers/edit-assistant.jsjsjs.$webosinternals$.$orig$ $controllers$/$edit$-$assistant$.$js$

cp controllers/filepicker-behaviors.jsjsjs.$webosinternals$.$orig$ \
    controllers/filepicker-behaviors.jsjsjs

cp views/edit/lists-fake.html.webosinternals.orig views/edit/lists-fake.html

cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers

cp listview-assistant.jsjsjs.$webosinternals$.$orig$ $listview$-$assistant$.$js$

cp chatview-assistant.jsjsjs.$webosinternals$.$orig$ $chatview$-$assistant$.$js$

cp notification-assistant.jsjsjs.$webosinternals$.$orig$ $notification$-$assistant$.$js$

cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/models

cp messaging-luna-service.jsjsjs.$webosinternals$.$orig$ $messaging$-$luna$-$service$.$js$

mount -o ro,remount /

3. From within Preware, restart Luna.
    yes I did install it via preware and I'll try that soon, as I tried everything else but with no results. Thanks
    hey this morning I had a bit of time on my hands and wanted to try the procedure but I'm not really familiar with the "command line acces" bit, shoul I type that long code/strings where I type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart to get it in developer mode? Is that what is meant by command line?

sms tone per contact should provide better assistance to non-technical people, pretty disappointed with it
    Quote Originally Posted by crowning73 View Post
    sms tone per contact should provide better assistance to non-technical people, pretty disappointed with it
    Agreed. I don't have the time or patience to read through 43 pages of postings only to try and find something that might work...

At this point, I'm frustrated that it's the ONLY patch on my phone that consistently won't update or uninstall.

To echo some recent posts - all I want to do is take it off my phone. Can someone please post/share a step-by-step approach on how to do this? And please keep in mind that references to linux, command lines, etc... are incredibly confusing to some of us that have simply never been exposed to that before...
    - AA
    Quote Originally Posted by AAHill View Post
    Agreed. I don't have the time or patience to read through 43 pages of postings only to try and find something that might work...
    You might want to consider the effect your choice of words will have on the way the author of the patch or others providing assistance in this thread or involved in the patching infrastructure will choose to use their limited free time and patience ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rod, I'm not twelve years old and probably you aren't either. Why people keep treating developers like the have the exclusivity in making stuff for free sacrificying their precious free time? Guess what, they have no exclusivity, many of us do stuff for free taking time off; if you donate a malfunctioning toy to your local charity what do you think the charity should say? Thank you for your support?!? If the toy is broken is useless, either assist them in other ways or just don't bother.

But if you think developers should be proclaimed Saints irrespectively, well I beg to differ.
    lol- you are whining about your OWN inadequacy.

learn how to use the phone, and not be spoonfed

the patch works perfectly for me (including many others), don't blame it on the patch or the devloper.

it's YOU my friend, not the developer.

ps- learn to be respectful, sugar will attract more bees
    Rod, I'm not twelve years old and probably you aren't either. Why people keep treating developers like the have the exclusivity in making stuff for free sacrificying their precious free time? Guess what, they have no exclusivity, many of us do stuff for free taking time off; if you donate a malfunctioning toy to your local charity what do you think the charity should say? Thank you for your support?!? If the toy is broken is useless, either assist them in other ways or just don't bother.

But if you think developers should be proclaimed Saints irrespectively, well I beg to differ.
    Thanks for your post. I'm sure that will encourage the author even more to help you.

Note that this patch was installed by over 9000 people in the first three months of this year.

Your local charity would probably love to accept a box of 9000 toys where 8900 are working perfectly and 100 malfunction randomly for some people.

Do you think that they would force the person who donated the box of 9000 toys to fix the 100 that don't work for some people?

Do you think that they would put a public advertisement in the newspaper expressing how disappointed they were with the donation of 9000 toys from that person, and how the person who donated them should do better next time?

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Hi Rod, we can agree to differ, can't we? I think the child who got a malfunctioning toy won't care too much if 8900 others have been luckier...

But hey, as I said, no harm done, we have different opinions, my sms per contact can stay there for life, my phone still works even if I can't uninstall it. What I'd like on this forum would be to see less people putting developers on a pedestal...

Have a good day mate
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    You are conflating showing someone simple courtesy and respect with putting someone on a pedestal. You want someone to hand you a simple fix, where none simple enough for you exists. Fixes exist, to be sure, and you have been given many of them, but you are unwilling or unable to perform them. This is not the developer's fault.

Let's be clear, refraining from publically bad mouthing someone's work is not even close to putting that someone on a pedistal. Let's also be absolutly clear about something else - the reason the patch will not uninstall from your phone is not in the slightest bit the developer's fault.
    Hi Rod, we can agree to differ, can't we? I think the child who got a malfunctioning toy won't care too much if 8900 others have been luckier...

But hey, as I said, no harm done, we have different opinions, my sms per contact can stay there for life, my phone still works even if I can't uninstall it. What I'd like on this forum would be to see less people putting developers on a pedestal...

Have a good day mate
    I do not mean to speak for anyone else but myself when I say this but I think you have displayed a very mixed up attitude towards the devs who are giving up their spare time to make some pretty amazing features for your, mine and every other homebrewers phone.
    When you do anything homebrew related you have to understand that the responsibility for your devices functionality is your responsibility and yours only. Even though the devs (including alpha testers) put their own phones on the line and go out of their way to try to ensure that installation/uninstallation is as problem free as possible, when a problem does occur it is not their responsibility even though they will do a sh@t load to sort it out. If you are not comfortable (or unwilling to learn the necessary steps to get comfortable) with the solutions that they offer you then you should have simply not have installed anything.
    As a total non-techie who is somewhat new to homebrew, I made sure I read up on as much homebrew and its risks(very few thanks to the devs) as possible before implementing any. If anything went wrong with my device as a result of homebrew I am willing to take any help I can get but understand that fixing my phone is ultimately my responsibility.
    I think you need to realise that pretty much all the development done here is done for no financial benefit (often the opposite is achieved) but is done out of passion for the system.
    You should consider apologising to the OP and rwhitby. And hopfully understand where your attitude to this is wrong.

Have a good day mate
    It's very true that from the point of view of the child given the broken toy, the world is unfair and owes them a new toy. You can't blame them for feeling that way, and no-one should berate them for feeling that way (as opposed to politely explaining to them how their attitude will have an impact on whether they are given free toys in the future).

In the webOS homebrew world, that's the point at which the correct answer to any subsequent request for assistance is simply: "Backup your data, do a full erase, and use the webOS Doctor to put your phone back to a factory pristine condition".

At that point, we can all have a good day

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I have version 1 SMS tone per contact installed and my phome updated itself to 1.4.1.1, I used the emergency patch recovery but it will not uninstall or update this patch. I also tried uninstalling it and updating it on preware from my phone as well as using webOS quick instal from my pc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated I am hoping to get this uninstalled so I can install v2 and have it working again. Thanx for all the work you guys do this is one of my faborite patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robtrot View Post
    this is one of my faborite patches.
    WAS one of your favourite patches
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    no IS one of my fav patches, even if I have to do the doctor on my phone again to get it to work. It's my bad for not uninstalling before the update. It is one of my must have patches I hate the gay sms message tone that is standard on the phone.