Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 293435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by missybev View Post
    Thanks for taking the ****, but its not just the patches, its the apps, the data (the BACKED UP data) and the FIVE times I've had to start from the beginning again as I keep getting "you have to resign into your palm profile" which means i've had to start all over again....FIVE times. Describing what is happening really wont help as you all talk technobabble that no normal person understands. However, I've run EPR, i've installed LUNA manager so I can restart Luna, I've tried all the things you describe and its still FUBAR!!!!

And fair enough patches arent suported part of PALM, but they know everyone has them and in my opinion ignore that fact and keep rolling out updates that are doing WHAT?
    I admit, losing your profile five times sounds like a real PITA. It isn't related to this forum thread so we shouldn't go into it in depth here, but have you searched the forums for profile problems? I haven't had these kinds of problems, but some have. I'd post in one of those other threads and get advice from someone who's been there. It sounds like this can happen if you return your phone for a new one and someone turns on the old one which is still attached to your profile. Maybe you can create a new profile or something like that.
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

I tried numerous times to install the SMS tone per contact patch and i keep getting a ipkg log error msg. i am clueless when it comes to this stuff, but i would really love to install this patch. any easy suggestions??
    I ran epr and took my theme out,,started from scratch. Installed my patches including tones per contact and all went well.
    I might try that. I'm just afraid that once I do that, I'll get the sms tone per contact patch to work and everything else won't!! LOL Not sure if its worth the hassle. Thanks for the tip though
    Oh the joys of ANOTHER CRAP AND ANNOYING SOFTWARE UPDATE.

All the patches have gone and I can't get one single one to reinstall. PALM, SORT YOUR SODDING SOFTWARE UPDATES OUT!!!!!

Just spent the better part of 7 F**KING HOURS trying to set my phone back up to how I HAD IT BEFORE THE UPDATE, and nothing is working.

I shan't be trying any more, I'm moving to iPhone whose software updates don't affect any of the Apps or patches!!! TAKE A LESSON PALM, IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR MARKET SHARE, HAVE AN UPDATE SYSTEM THAT DOESN'T COST YOUR CUSTOMERS A DAY'S WORK/MONEY TO UNSUCCESSFULLY SORT
    You're an *****. Please take your trolling elsewhere.

monkeydog - I admire your restraint in communicating with people who have no idea what they're talking about. I wish I had the kind of patience that you do.

You're one of my favorite posters on P|C because you have the ability to say what I'm thinking...but in a much more tactful way.
    Hm, after having updated to Sprint's 1.4.1.1 on my Pre, I'd been unable to update this patch. Every time I tried, I'd get a bunch of Postinst messages, including

"Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]"
    "Apply anyway? [n]"

I'd also mostly gotten a complaint about the msgtones.html file

So, after doing an EPR, a WebOS Repair Utility run (set to override patches, etc.), and deleting that file via WebOS QI via the command line, I figured I'd be safe to install it again.

It still fails, and the most relevant part of the IPKG log seems to be the Postinst section, which only contains the following:
    Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.soundsandalerts/app/views/soundsalertsconfig/soundsalertsconfig-scene.html.rej
    In the Remove section, in green, there's:
    Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-sms-tones-per-contact from root...
    (The ellipsis is from the IPKG log, not me.)

And there's a wrap-up at the end, saying:
    Failed
    ErrorGenericMethodException: Failure during post-install script execution
    Everything in "Install" section is in green font, with nothing indicating any kind of error.

So...what flag does Preware look for to say that a patch is already/still installed? If it's a known list of files isolated to this or a small number of patches, maybe I could uninstall any/all the relevant patches (say, the messaging ones, maybe?) I have installed, replace the relevant files to get me back to a truly unpatched state, then re-run the SMS Tones Per Contact patch install?

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can try next? Besides Doctoring? :-)

Thanks!
    I've tried and tried but I still can't this patch to load. I'm still getting those 2 errors.

I've even ran the dr. to no evail. I'm stumped. I've even deleted the msg*.html.

what's next?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmodiar View Post
    You're an *****. Please take your trolling elsewhere.

monkeydog - I admire your restraint in communicating with people who have no idea what they're talking about. I wish I had the kind of patience that you do.

You're one of my favorite posters on P|C because you have the ability to say what I'm thinking...but in a much more tactful way.

And this is exactly why these forums are not usually any help whatsoever, because the "clever" people like yourself are no help to people who are frustrated beyond belief with their phones. I maybe an ***** but at least I'm not an insulting tw@t
    Maybe if the "people frustrated beyond belief" shouldn't be modifying their phones if they have no idea what they're doing and are 100% relying on other people to solve all of their problems. Here's a brilliant idea: give an actual detailed account about your problem so that people actually know what your problem is instead of just b*tching about stuff.

Furthermore, maybe you could actually try using the search function built in to these forums and searching for an answer (again, instead of just b*tching).

Also, I know it's a scary concept, but maybe try educating yourself about the device you don't understand and take some personal responsibility for your actions and instead of blaming everyone else for not understanding what you're doing.

I'd rather be a "clever" person who is an "insulting tw@t" than a clueless ***** who rants about things they don't understand at all instead of calmly detailing your problem and politely asking for help. People who are willing to help will respond in a much nicer way if you're not a d-bag up front about it.

Also, in reference to your original post, thank you for clarifying ahead of time that you're completely clueless about two devices and further prove my point.

/rant. (Sorry for the micro-trolling I caused. I will no longer be participating in this discussion).
    Last edited by Ozmodiar; 04/06/2010 at 11:49 PM.
    And this is exactly why these forums are not usually any help whatsoever, because the "clever" people like yourself are no help to people who are frustrated beyond belief with their phones. I maybe an ***** but at least I'm not an insulting tw@t
    Hm, you are clearly very frustrated, and that's of course your prerogative. From reading your posts over the last couple of pages, though, it seems that you don't share my own view of these forums and the distribution of responsibility here between the owner of whichever phone you have, the manufacturer, the homebrew/patch devs, the forums in general, and the forum members specifically.

This is how I figure it:

* Palm made a phone, the default software, and they make updates. For those things, in their untweaked state, they should be held responsible. If something goes wrong with those, Palm, or your cell company, should owe you something.

* Patches are made and offered by various individuals who offer their products for me to use, at my discretion and at my own risk. When things go wrong here, my risk didn't pay off, and no one *owes* me anything.

* The forums here have a wealth of info, where many problems are already covered. Finding and using that info is my responsibility and, again, my risk, as it's probably taking Palm's stuff and changing it.

* The forum members include many very knowledgeable and helpful people, including many of those homebrew/patch devs I mentioned above. I am free to ask them for help, but they are also free to choose not to provide it. In short, they don't *owe* me anything. And I'm again at my own risk to take their advice or not.

So ultimately, there are only two/three possibilities for the "responsible parties" who might "owe" me help with regard to my phone: Palm, Sprint, and me.

All other help comes from the goodwill of others.

As I see things, no one here on the forums is responsible for helping you. And you don't seem to be endearing yourself in anyone's eyes to encourage anyone to help you.

Since you 1) need help, 2) can't seem to help yourself, and 3) seem to feel you need to hold someone else responsible for what you've done at your own risk to your phone, perhaps you should just doctor your phone, starting over for the *sixth* time, and just avoid homebrew and patches altogether, keeping your system stock so that you really can blame Palm for the things that go wrong (tho...there's always the possibility that some App Catalog app actually has a bug that might trip up your phone, in which case, then you might have to go after the app dev).

As far as Apple's updates not messing up their users' apps and patches, I think you're quite mistaken. As someone else pointed out earlier, Apple updates un-jailbreak iPhones and remove homebrew apps. In fact, Apple is *so* anti-homebrew and anti-jailbreaking that they tried to make jailbreaking (which you have to do to get any homebrew going) illegal:
    http:// m.gizmodo.com/site?t=-GP7QPcJAMTzez4SIUUmbA&sid=gizmodo
    (in case ^that link doesn't make it into my post, google: "jalbreaking iphones" Apple illegal)

So, uh, have fun in the jailbroken iPhone world. Good luck not getting arrested/fined/whatever-Apple-wants-to-do-to-their-customers.
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 04/06/2010 at 11:50 PM.
    After updating to 1.4.1.1, I too had issues with this patch. I could not update, install or remove it. I kept getting the 'Unreversed patch' error followed by a listing of various files. After several unsuccessful attempts at EPR and every other 'Emergency' script available as well as several unsuccessful WOSRU attempts, I found this thread...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...-i-remove.html

Here's what I ended up doing....
    1. Run WOSQI version 2.96 to uninstall the patch
    2. Restart
    3. Use Preware to install the patch
    4. Note filename listed in the ipkg error log.
    5. Use WOSRU to direct replace the offending files.

In my case, the offending file was usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.soundsandalerts/app/views/soundsalertsconfig/soundsalertsconfig-scene.html
    which WOSRU could not find in the WebDoctor files. So.... I used WOSQI v3.02 to receive the file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.soundsandalerts/app/views/soundsalertsconfig/soundsalertsconfig-scene.html.webosinternals.orig
    from my Pre. I then renamed the file (remove the .webosinternals.orig from the filename) and sent the renamed file back to my Pre.

6. I then used WOSQI v3.02 (or I suppose Preware should work) and install the patch.
    Success!!!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preryan View Post
    I too had the msgtones.html problem where it was left on the phone and I could not reapply the patch because it was already there.

The way I removed it was:

Connected Pre to computer

Opened Webosqi

Clicked the "Tools" tab

Then selected the "Delete File/Directory" option

A pop up will appear for the Delete File/Directory option

Leave the "File" option selected

In the path field type "/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.contacts/app/views/edit/msgtones.html" (no quotation marks)

Click on the "Delete" button.

The offending file was gone and I reinstalled the patch.

Hope it works for you too.
    Tried to delete the msgtones.html and install the 2 files mentioned previously from WOSRU and still getting the same errors trying to install the update..

Anyone who has gotten this to work please post exactly what you did please..
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    OK....sorry but I believe I have tried everything and still getting IPKG error. Says Prerm /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-sms-tone-per-contact/messaging-sms-tone-per-contact.patch: No such file or directory.
    Next line/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-sms-tone-per-contact.prerm: line 35: cannot open /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.patches.messaging-sms-tone-per-contact/messaging-sms-tone-per-contact.patch:no such file

Then it says Failed ErrorGenericMethodException:Failure during pre-remove script execution.

Tried update and remove...got same message. Tried using webosqi and removing with that nothing....Where have I gone wrong...also didn't work with last OS 1.4.0 update.....so yes been stuck since then. Please any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks to all who help on this forum, without you I couldn't fix my mistakes. Thanks again to all who help.
    Last edited by dulceman; 04/16/2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Fixed Problem
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I've had problems as well and finally fixed mine this morning.

What I did was replace each file as elryon said in his post here.

As some of you noted, sometimes WebOS RU isn't finding each file in the WebOS 1.4.1.1 file. For those cases, you can pull the files out manually with a program (7Zip has been mentioned; I used WinRAR), put them on your desktop, and then use WebOS QI to send them to the Pre. There's 9 files total elryon mentions, so I just manually sent them to the Pre by this method.

After making sure the msgtones.html file has been deleted, and that the entry for this patch is removed from the webos patches log file on the Pre, I did a luna restart.

At that point, the patch finally installed.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    IMO, the following post by Shadowhawk (especially the part I made bold) should be a sticky in one of the 'welcome' or 'intro' threads! Very well said Shadowhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    This is how I figure it:

* Palm made a phone, the default software, and they make updates. For those things, in their untweaked state, they should be held responsible. If something goes wrong with those, Palm, or your cell company, should owe you something.

* Patches are made and offered by various individuals who offer their products for me to use, at my discretion and at my own risk. When things go wrong here, my risk didn't pay off, and no one *owes* me anything.

* The forums here have a wealth of info, where many problems are already covered. Finding and using that info is my responsibility and, again, my risk, as it's probably taking Palm's stuff and changing it.

* The forum members include many very knowledgeable and helpful people, including many of those homebrew/patch devs I mentioned above. I am free to ask them for help, but they are also free to choose not to provide it. In short, they don't *owe* me anything. And I'm again at my own risk to take their advice or not.

So ultimately, there are only two/three possibilities for the "responsible parties" who might "owe" me help with regard to my phone: Palm, Sprint, and me.

All other help comes from the goodwill of others.

As I see things, no one here on the forums is responsible for helping you. And you don't seem to be endearing yourself in anyone's eyes to encourage anyone to help you.

Since you 1) need help, 2) can't seem to help yourself, and 3) seem to feel you need to hold someone else responsible for what you've done at your own risk to your phone, perhaps you should just doctor your phone, starting over for the *sixth* time, and just avoid homebrew and patches altogether, keeping your system stock so that you really can blame Palm for the things that go wrong (tho...there's always the possibility that some App Catalog app actually has a bug that might trip up your phone, in which case, then you might have to go after the app dev).

As far as Apple's updates not messing up their users' apps and patches, I think you're quite mistaken. As someone else pointed out earlier, Apple updates un-jailbreak iPhones and remove homebrew apps. In fact, Apple is *so* anti-homebrew and anti-jailbreaking that they tried to make jailbreaking (which you have to do to get any homebrew going) illegal:
    http:// m.gizmodo.com/site?t=-GP7QPcJAMTzez4SIUUmbA&sid=gizmodo
    (in case ^that link doesn't make it into my post, google: "jalbreaking iphones" Apple illegal)

So, uh, have fun in the jailbroken iPhone world. Good luck not getting arrested/fined/whatever-Apple-wants-to-do-to-their-customers.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Elryon, I loved this patch until the .1 update trashed it. I removed the msgtones.html file with QI and then rebooted, ran the Repair Utility, rebooted and QI still shows an update is available, which fails and trying to remove it entirely fails as well. I have read the comments concerning EPR working for some and not for others. Before I find out if I'll be lucky with ERP or running the Repair Utility with Override Compatibility enabled do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerbe View Post
    Elryon, I loved this patch until the .1 update trashed it. I removed the msgtones.html file with QI and then rebooted, ran the Repair Utility, rebooted and QI still shows an update is available, which fails and trying to remove it entirely fails as well. I have read the comments concerning EPR working for some and not for others. Before I find out if I'll be lucky with ERP or running the Repair Utility with Override Compatibility enabled do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.
    I had the same problem as everyone else and used the method suggested by Elryon last week (and linked to from two posts above 778) to get my 1.4.1.1 Sprint Pre back to a point where I could uninstall and reinstall. Personally (and especially if you have a lot of patches installed), I'd try to go that route before you trash all of your patches using WebOS RU with Override or use EPR. Just an idea. It took me about 12 minutes to get this one patch fixed 'the hard way'

Elryon - Have you been able to work with Eric G to understand what's different about this patch (clearly it's not a simple patch and you should be commended for the features it provides us) that causes so much problems with AUPT's ability to uninstall / update it? It seems like the "Named Pages" patch has similar problems and it lmorchard has asked if it might have something to do with the fact they these two patches not only modify stock files, but also create new files... just wondering?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    There isn't any chance that you would want to type out 'exactly' (and I mean 'exactly) what you did, is there??? I've been reading so many posts in the 'webOS patches forum' to learn the inner workings of the pre, but i can't seem to find enough information to self-teach. I consider myself to be computer savy (probably high end intermediate), but the pre is greek to me.

What i have figured out - is that some patches (SMS tones, 100 word auto correct, any icon size changing like 4x4, 5x5, etc.) just will not reinstall after using the EPR to remove them. Of course they are not installed on the phone, but... you cannot reinstall them either.

I also noticed that after running the EPR 'several' times (after putting a patch or two on just so I could use the EPR) the EPR 'never' gets rid of all patches. I wonder why that is. Like my background for my phone and the silence keypad, but use hepatic vibration - that always remains - battery with % remains, landscape emails remain and the list goes on.

So... I thought I would try and outsmart the pre and even though those above patches I just mentioned remained on the phone... I went back in WebOS Quick Install and as I suspected - they were on the list for me to 'install', so I did. Then I went into Device Management of 'tweaks' - saw them in the list -checked them off and hit delete. They deleted.

So... I guess I concluded that if a patch still remains on your pre after running the EPR, you can reinstall the patch because 'device management tweaks' doesn't list it as being installed (even though it is). I further conclude that IF a patch is recognized and you delete it via 'delete button in device management'... it will delete with no problem.

What I cannot figure out is how to see what the pre has inside of it that is causing a non-visable, uninstalled tweak like SMS tone and 100 Word Auto-Correct not to allow a re-install. The message I keep getting is just like others are posting... "reversed or previously applied patch detected! 2 out 2 hunks ignored". I think I get the meaning of that and I believe it is correct because to me that says... You reversed the patch - meaning I uninstalled it or EPR'd it at one point OR it still thinks the patch is installed when it clearly is not.

The whole reason behind me using the EPR to remove SMS in the first place is because when the latest Palm 1.4.1.1 update came out - I followed the instructions and removed all tweaks before installing the update. It's when I went to put the patch back that I have encountered all these patch issues.

So... I don't know what good me telling you all this was, but at least I am making progress in the homebrew and patch world of the pre.

Well... any help you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks for reading.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I had the same problem as everyone else and used the method suggested by Elryon last week (and linked to from two posts above 778) to get my 1.4.1.1 Sprint Pre back to a point where I could uninstall and reinstall. Personally (and especially if you have a lot of patches installed), I'd try to go that route before you trash all of your patches using WebOS RU with Override or use EPR. Just an idea. It took me about 12 minutes to get this one patch fixed 'the hard way'

Elryon - Have you been able to work with Eric G to understand what's different about this patch (clearly it's not a simple patch and you should be commended for the features it provides us) that causes so much problems with AUPT's ability to uninstall / update it? It seems like the "Named Pages" patch has similar problems and it lmorchard has asked if it might have something to do with the fact they these two patches not only modify stock files, but also create new files... just wondering?
    No-one has contacted me about any of this except those with problems. But I also think it has something to do with the created files as that is where most problems happen. I also think that it might have something to do with the size and number of files affected, I think its one of (if not the) largest patches out there.
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
    Hey elryon mines works great!