Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I did some testing to reproduce what I think is the issue several have been reporting.

If you use the delete all to delete emails from a folder it works as expected.

However GMail has a couple special folders that behave differently. They are Spam and Trash. When you delete email from these folders on the Pre they are removed from the Pre and no longer synched to the phone. But GMail does not delete the email from the server. The way GMail handles the Spam and Trash folder is by automatically removing email from these folders older than X months old.

Even when deleting email in these folders by swiping them away one email at a time you will see this same behavior.

This is just how GMail works.
    Any chance this patch could be modified to allow you to select or check multiple messages and then "delete all" of the ones checked?

Really miss that capability from my Treo.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  3.    #23  
    Yes it is doable I just don't have enough time right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lclarkjr View Post

I'm glad see your post...I was beginning to wonder if my Gmail was malfunctioning because that's what I posted about a week ago...

I did some testing to reproduce what I think is the issue several have been reporting.

If you use the delete all to delete emails from a folder it works as expected.

However GMail has a couple special folders that behave differently. They are Spam and Trash. When you delete email from these folders on the Pre they are removed from the Pre and no longer synched to the phone. But GMail does not delete the email from the server. The way GMail handles the Spam and Trash folder is by automatically removing email from these folders older than X months old.

Even when deleting email in these folders by swiping them away one email at a time you will see this same behavior.

Thanks, I really appreciate the follow-up! Now we just have to fix Gmail.
  6.    #26  
    For those who have asked I have added a donate button to the first post.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I am running version 1.3.5-3 of email deletion and 1.3.5 WebOS. I really like the delete email patch. When I delete Email, I do not delete it on my email provider Comcast. It use to be that when I ran this software the number of emails shown in the "inbox" would decrease as the messages were being deleted. That no longer works for me. I removed and reinstalled the patch twice. I know the patch is working because after awhile the screen will go blank and state there are no new messages. However it was very convenient to know that the emails messages were actually being deleted, especially when it is processing 50 or 60 messages. Hope this makes some sense....
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
  8.    #28  
    With the last webos update a new email server function was introduced for empting email in a folder. I updated the patch to use this capability since it is significantly faster. As a result though you won't see the counter decrease as before because it is not deleting the emails one at a time.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    With the last webos update a new email server function was introduced for empting email in a folder. I updated the patch to use this capability since it is significantly faster. As a result though you won't see the counter decrease as before because it is not deleting the emails one at a time.

OK, that answers that. Thanks for quick response...It is still a very handy patch
    Palm Pre OS 1.4.5 500/1000 MHz--Provider:Sprint
    This patch works great for me. Messages are deleted and moved to Trash, just as I would expect. Thanks for a very useful tool!

My *annoyance* is that I access multiple email accounts, and each account has its own Trash. So to clean up, I have to open each account individually, click on the Trash folder, and then Empty Trash. What I would like to see implemented is a *global* Empty Trash feature, so that a user can optionally Empty Trash for all accounts in one step instead of having to visit each one individually.

Is this doable?
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas89134 View Post
    This patch works great for me. Messages are deleted and moved to Trash, just as I would expect. Thanks for a very useful tool!

My *annoyance* is that I access multiple email accounts, and each account has its own Trash. So to clean up, I have to open each account individually, click on the Trash folder, and then Empty Trash. What I would like to see implemented is a *global* Empty Trash feature, so that a user can optionally Empty Trash for all accounts in one step instead of having to visit each one individually.

Is this doable?
    Should be doable. I will take a look at it when I get a chance.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    I have 4,415 deleted emails in my hotmail Trash folder on my Pre. I have no trash in my actual hotmail account on my laptop. I installed your patch and I'm trying to delete my trash folders... Nothing happens...... Can this be done?

I also have a few other trash folders:

Hotmail: 4,415 emails(not working)
    Roadrunner: 454 emails(not working)
    Roadrunner(different account):19(your patch worked)
    Live:61(your patch worked)

Is there a cap on how many can be deleted?

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    I have 4,415 deleted emails in my hotmail Trash folder on my Pre. I have no trash in my actual hotmail account on my laptop. I installed your patch and I'm trying to delete my trash folders... Nothing happens...... Can this be done?

I also have a few other trash folders:

Hotmail: 4,415 emails(not working)
    Roadrunner: 454 emails(not working)
    Roadrunner(different account):19(your patch worked)
    Live:61(your patch worked)

Is there a cap on how many can be deleted?
    As far as i know there is no cap. It may take a while to delete that many items though. Sounds like you may have a synchronization issue though.
    Ref; Msg #31 in this thread.

Alternatively, bulk delete without sending deleted items to the Trash bin would be acceptable.
    myself and my coworkers all have pre's in the office and we are required to keep all emails. Any chance you can separate this patch and have just a READ ALL button with no delete option? We had a couple problems with accidental deletes that take forever to fix.

A read from notification area (without the delete option) would be sweet as well.

I was just hoping it's a easy thing to split the features out and you wouldn't mind doing it if their was interest out there.

thanks again
    Hi all,

I would still love to get a Delete Selected Messages.

The easiest way to do this in my opinion or better yet, this is what I am looking for:

Right now, the patch will do a DELETE ALL for the INBOX or any folder (directory) that you are in.

So if you are in the INBOX, the Delete All patch will delete all the mesages in the INBOX.

If you are in the SPAM folder, it will Delete All the messages in that folder, etc.

I have been wanting something like this:

I search on a particular persons name and then when that list is totally built onscreen, I use the Delete All Patch to delete just the messages listed that were built by that search.

Or if I want to Delete All the messages which the subject field contains: 'Work At Home'. When that search is done building it's onscreen listing, I want to just tap the Delete ALL button and delete the messages that are only in the list that was provided by the search.

Right now, if I attempt that, it will delete ALL the messages from the INBOX where those searched messages were in in the first place.

I understand from a few previous messages above that the developer is extremely busy right now.

But he did say that he might be interested in providing some additional features to the original patch.

If he thinks he will be busy for too long a time, I would like to ask him to consider outreaching to one of the other developers here at Precentral and part of the Homebrew community to ask if they could step in for him and continue working on added some of the requested features until he can have time to get back to working on the patch.

This way the patch development can move forward and work can be in the process of getting those features added and he won't necessarily lose control over his project.

Does that sound like a reasonable request? This of course, is totally up to the developer to consider. And I would leave it up to him to outreach to one of the other developers.

Thank you!

Rob
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 04/17/2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I just installed this patch and it seems that it won't delete any email at all. The trash can and exclamation point icons are there, and when I tap the delete icon it asks if I'm sure I want to delete all 302 items in this folder? I tap 'Yes', and no emails are deleted. Am I supposed to be doing something else?
    The email account is my sbc/yahoo email.
    Thanks for a solution.
    Ken
    Could you please separate this into three different patches? One for JUST "Read All" for those folks that keep e-mails, one for JUST "Delete All" for the ones that don't keep thier e-mails, and one that has both??
    deleting for me.
    From reading this thread, it seems the developers of WebOS failed to include a way to empty the Trash folder. Is that because this Trash is up in the cloud and not hogging space on my Pre? If not, I don't understand why we can't delete the trash file other than by doing it one by one, or downloading a patch that has been created. Sorry if I'm being stupid but I've been searching for a way to empty my Trash and couldn't find one in the official instructions.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast