Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I know there are probably a few threads similar to this, but I don't know what else to do.

Let me start by saying I am a big time beginner on this.

I want to have homebrew apps and patches. Here's what I've done so far:

I am able to enter Developer Mode.

I downloaded Preware and it recognizes the device (I downloaded all of the programs needed for that). I am able to find homebrew apps through Preware and put them on my Pre. HOWEVER, a Preware icon never did appear on my launch screen. So there is no way for me to access Preware on my Pre.

I went to the list of patches here: Index of /feeds/webos-patches/1.3.1

I then clicked on the ones I wanted (about five total), and they downloaded to my desktop automatically. Then, I tried to add them to my device using Preware. But I just get error messages every time. I did some research and it seems I have to root my Pre. I've tried downloading Palm Mojo SDK, but I can't get the email from them to verify my email address. On top of that, I have no idea if I'll be able to handle what comes next (DOS?!).

All I really want is: the date next to the time at the top, default calendar view to month view, and all-day events shown on calendar's month view, and to get rid of the NFL and Nascar apps.

Am I in over my head? Can anyone help me? I'm seriously confused and don't know what else to do. I'm at the point of hoping someone lives nearby who can do this for me. (I live in Dallas, TX.)

Thanks in advance!!!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    how did you install preware? Through WebOS QuickInstall?
    if the patches are on your desktop preware has nothing to do with it. It sounds like you are getting Preware and WebOS Quick install confused
    If you're in developer mode, run the installer at Index of /

If you're on a Windows PC use the .exe, otherwise use the .jar (if you use the .jar you'll have to make sure you have Java installed).

Then that should install Preware on your Pre and you'll be able to browse the patches and applications from the device itself. If this is what you did and it's not showing up, try rebooting maybe and it might show up. If that doesn't work, go to tools and try to "restart Novacom service" and then install it.
    I just re-read you post. it sounds like you dont have everything you need yet. You have to have Palm Mojo SDK downloaded along with webos quickinstall and webos doctor and novacom

go here for full instructions on the webos quick install download

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    To get Preware I went here Application:Preware - WebOS Internals and then from there, I went here Index of /.

I have never been able to get the WebOS Quick Install cause I don't understand how to do it.

Sorry, guys. I know I suck.
    oh, did you go to that link for installing webos quick install? it is very simple to download
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by something13 View Post
    I just re-read you post. it sounds like you dont have everything you need yet. You have to have Palm Mojo SDK downloaded along with webos quickinstall and webos doctor and novacom

go here for full instructions on the webos quick install download

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ll-v2-9-a.html
    I went there, and before I did anything I see this warning:
    Do not run WebOSDoctor, or you may inadvertently erase your device to WebOS factory settings
    Now I'm all freaked out. I mean, I'm worried about removing all these patches before each Palm issued update. What if I don't do it right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    WebOS Quick Install v2.9

This program is intended for use with WebOS applications that are in-testing, which under section 4.2 of the Palm SDK License Agreement allows for such unapproved applications to be installed on Palm devices. Applications installed with WebOS Quick Install have not be tested by Palm and are installed at your own risk.

This program is freeware, but not opensource. Feel free to share it with other testing forums.

I can be contacted at support@canuck-software.ca
    If you contact me, or post in this thread to contact me, you must also include the following information:
    - Device: are you using a Palm Pre or the emulator
    - Operating System (include 32bit or 64bit)
    - Have you followed my troubleshooting guide completely
    I will be ignore emails/posts that don't follow that format.

Donations are appreciated as I'm just one person developing this app during my spare time.

Enjoy! :-)

Download Here.

Installation Guide

Requirements
    • WebOSDoctor recovery rom
      • Do not run WebOSDoctor, or you may inadvertently erase your device to WebOS factory settings
      • If you want to download it on your own, Sprint download here, Bell download here (use either if you're just using emulator) and copy that .jar file to the same folder as WebOSQuickInstall.jar

• Java 1.6
      • For Mac OS X, once you've installed Java 1.6, run /Application/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use.

• Novacom
      • You can manually install Novacom by going in WebOSQuickInstall and in the menu File->Options, then press the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button.
      • If you have issues and you're on Windows, try following these instructions (even if you aren't on Windows 7).
      • For Linux, try downloading the Novacom file here.

• DevMode enabled
      • This can be done on your device by typing "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", opening the DeveloperMode app, and enabling the feature.

Lastly, when you plug in the device, if you want to use WebOS Quick Install, choose the "Just Charge" option on the device.

Running WebOS Quick Install
    • Simply double-click WebOSQuickInstall.jar and (as long as Java is installed properly) it will launch

Features
    • Stylish easy-to-use GUI.
    • Cross-platform support (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux).
    • Supports postinst and prerm scripts.
    • Tweaks panel for OS customization on a deeper level.
    • Full device theming support
    • Supports standard ipkg feeds.
    • No Linux knowledge required, no root access required.
    • Support for .ipk, .patch, and .diff files
    • Works with both USB-connected WebOS devices and the WebOS emulator.
    • Full device information section with management of user-installed applications.
    • Send and receive files to and from a WebOS device.
    • Quick-access link to the PreCentral homebrew forums.
    • Handy usage panel that explains the earlier-mentioned requirements.

Screenshots

Known Issues
    - None so far

Change Log
    v2.9 - November 15, 09
    - WebOS 1.3.1 compatible
    - Added support for patch metadata (like generated by Unified Diff Creator)
    - Reports errors when remounting the root partition
    - Added support for webOS version checking for Tweaks Online Repo tab
    - Fixed theme removal with themes that include patches
    - Added EPR button
    - Various minor fixes/optimizations

v2.82 - October 14, 09
    - iPhone User Agent Spoof uses its own backup method
    - Fixed control reading error with some ipks
    - Fixed issue certain users were have reinstalling certain program

v2.81 - October 13, 09
    - Fixed issue preventing diffstat and GNU patch installation
    - Various minor bugs fixed

v2.8 - October 13, 09
    - remove need of package manager for tweaking
    - uses new webos-patches online repo url
    - now has smaller improved auto-correction dictionaries for faster loading
    - fixed browser multi-mod
    - fixed launcher opacity mod
    - fixed issue with installing .patch files directly that could cause serious issues
    - updated iPhone user agent spoof mod for 1.2.1
    - fixed Ipkg Viewer issue preventing switching to other feeds
    - updated webosdoctor download urls
    - added "luna restart" button so you can apply as many tweaks as you want then choose when to restart the interface
    - added new Linux Commandline section for direct Linux access

v2.72 - October 4, 09
    - Fixed an issue that in certain circumstances deeply affected theming

v2.71 - October 4, 09
    - Added Package Manager to Tweak requirements

v2.7 - October 4, 09
    - Added reset flag support
    - Updated Sprint/Bell WebOSDoctor URLs
    - Added Patch integration into Device Management
    - Fixed issue where uninstalled apps would still appear in Device Management
    - Redesigned Tweaks into a tabbed interface
    - Completely reimplemented virtual keyboard config support
    - Added patch repository support to Tweaks
    - Completely redid the internal patcher coding
    - Patch format now compatible with Preware
    - Greatly improved Ipkg Feed app info window
    - Fixed bug affecting custom ipkg feeds
    - Added PreYourMind and Canuck Software feeds
    - Updated theming to support new patch-compatible format
    - Added support for .patch and .diff files in the main screen

here is all you need to know to download it
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    I went there, and before I did anything I see this warning:
    Do not run WebOSDoctor, or you may inadvertently erase your device to WebOS factory settings
    Now I'm all freaked out. I mean, I'm worried about removing all these patches before each Palm issued update. What if I don't do it right?
    ok webos doctor is a program you can use to bring your phone back to factory specs. in case you significantly screwed something up.

just walk through the steps. its very simple
    just click on where it says download here under the paypal logo. once it is downloaded and once you have the java updated open webos quick install and it will tell you that you have to have webos doctor downloaded inorder to use webos quickinstall. just download it. it is a big file so it may take some time. once it is downloaded and you can open webos quick install click file>options and tap the "attempt novacom (re)installtion" tab and that will make sure you have it on your phone. once you get there let me know and i will tell you how to download preware
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Ok, I think I already have WebOS Quick Launch. Here is everything I have so far:

And here is what it looks like when I open up WebOS Quick Launch:

So I think I already have it.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    FYI - I have to go to bed (work in the morning), but I appreciate all the help. I hope the screenshots I posted help.

Does anyone know someone in the Dallas, TX area that is good at this? Maybe they could meet me at a coffee shop and help me.
    FYI - I have to go to bed (work in the morning), but I appreciate all the help. I hope the screenshots I posted help.

Does anyone know someone in the Dallas, TX area that is good at this? Maybe they could meet me at a coffee shop and help me.
    I actually live in the fort worth area, so if all else fails, maybe I can help you out.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by something13 View Post
    I actually live in the fort worth area, so if all else fails, maybe I can help you out.
    No way, really? That would be awesome! I'd buy you some coffee.
    Ok, I think I already have WebOS Quick Launch. Here is everything I have so far:

And here is what it looks like when I open up WebOS Quick Launch:

So I think I already have it.
    ok when your in WEBOSQI click on the tab just below the Green Plus and Red Negative icon. You should be clicking on the one below those two. FYI your phone has to be plugged in for this and in charging mode, not usb or media sync.

ok this will pull up a menu and there will be a drop down tab at the top. click it. a list will drop down and you want to click on "WebOS-Internals Feed (all)
    once you do that it will pull up list of about 15 things. first install "Package Manager Service" but checking the box clicking download, tap close and then tap install. once that is done go through all of the same steps up except this time check the box next to preware and click download, then close, then install and there you go. it will be in your launcher and from there you can access all apps, themes, and patches
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I will try this when I get home. Thanks.