1.    #1  
    The current Match State to Area Code patch is great. What would be even better is if it could match the city/state to the area code plus first 3 digits of the phone number. Verizon offers this as a monthly pay service, so there must be a database out there somewhere.
    like a zip code kinda thing on top of the state?
    I actually made my own area code patch before I even knew about the one in Preware. Mine would match not only to state but also general area.

I agree it would be very useful to be able to match by exchange, but it's a pretty big task.

There are about 340 area codes in use in North America. Granted some of them are not actually tied to a specific geography (think 800, 877, etc), and then within them you are looking at theoretically up to 900 exchanges (as far as I know, there's no such thing as an exchange starting with 0, so that leaves 100-999). That's over 300,000 combinations of area codes + exchanges, which is quite a whopping task for a hobbyist to tackle, and it would be quite error-prone. The average human, on a good day, makes about 3 errors per 100 chances. 3% of 300k is 9,000.

Here's a link with some info if anyone's up to the task.

Telcodata.US: Search by Full Area Code / Single Exchange
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I think that just a more precise area code listing would be helpful. Right now (415) just pops up as California. If it came up as San Francisco Bay Area, that'd be great. Some area codes cover a larger area and some a more precise one.

As you say with 340 area codes, it's a much more manageable task than the 300,000 exchanges. In a majority of those cases, the exchange doesn't really get you that much more specificity (particularly given the ubiquity of cell phones).
  5.    #5  
    yeah...general area is probably better. On my computer I use decoder.americom.com and that gives the state and major cities covered by the area code, without using the exchange.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    AGREED! was going to post similar request...
    county/state
    would be sweet...
    619 = san diego/california

it does seem like a heavy task, anyone up for it?!
    haha, i hope so, and good luck.

helpful site?
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    hoping this one gets ported to 1.4

I miss it already.
    It may seem like I am doing nothing, but on a cellular level I'm really quite busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrtesq View Post
    hoping this one gets ported to 1.4

I miss it already.
    +1
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I can't update nor uninstall the Match State to Area Code patch. I know it's only a placeholder patch at this time. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by discdoc View Post
    I can't update nor uninstall the Match State to Area Code patch. I know it's only a placeholder patch at this time. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Yes, I have the same problem happening. Getting ipkg errors in both Preware and webOS Quick Install. Actually, when I tried again to uninstall it with WOSQI just now, my Pre just crashed and Luna restarted.

EDIT: Correction, I think the crash may have been caused by a conflict with Classic (the MotionApps emulator). I have been having problems with that application crashing my Pre, and it was running at the time that I tried to uninstall the Match State to Area Code patch. Tried again with WOSQI after my Pre restarted, but it still will not remove and shows ipkg errors.
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 03/01/2010 at 10:22 AM.
    Although this patch has apparently been updated for 1.4, I too am experiencing the problem that it will not update nor will it uninstall without receiving an ipkg error. Hopefully the problem will get corrected so I can either update to a useful status or remove all together - if not, I guess it will just sit there forever.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazinfly View Post
    Although this patch has apparently been updated for 1.4, I too am experiencing the problem that it will not update nor will it uninstall without receiving an ipkg error. Hopefully the problem will get corrected so I can either update to a useful status or remove all together - if not, I guess it will just sit there forever.
    I found a solution... I removed all of my patches in the Phone category and then tried it. It installed without a problem... better yet, it's not a placeholder patch anymore!
    I found a solution... I removed all of my patches in the Phone category and then tried it. It installed without a problem... better yet, it's not a placeholder patch anymore!
    Mine initially errored out (when replacing the placeholder -- I also noted the same experience with Email-Priority-Discard-Buttons).

But removing the placeholder first and then installing it worked for me.

Can you let us know as you add your other phone patches back which one(s) error out with a conflict? Might be good to document the incompatibility.

I guess my 5 phone apps all play nice together:

Call Duration in Call Log (US)
    Close slider end calls except headset
    enable dialpad vibration
    Match state to area code
    No Alert during call
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Mine initially errored out (when replacing the placeholder -- I also noted the same experience with Email-Priority-Discard-Buttons).

But removing the placeholder first and then installing it worked for me.

Can you let us know as you add your other phone patches back which one(s) error out with a conflict? Might be good to document the incompatibility.

I guess my 5 phone apps all play nice together:

Call Duration in Call Log (US)
    Close slider end calls except headset
    enable dialpad vibration
    Match state to area code
    No Alert during call
    None of them had errors... it just seemed as though the Match State to Area Code had to be the first Phone patch to be installed. However, I'm still getting an error when trying to install Add Priority and Discard Buttons.
    What other email patches do you have installed?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    What other email patches do you have installed?
    I posted the list to your other thread. Here it is, just in case:

5x5 Icons v1
    Add Priority Discard Buttons
    Add Select All and New Message
    Advanced Reset Options
    Allow Browser in Low Mem
    Audio/Video Attachments
    Battery Icon and Percent
    Bookmarks Tile Button
    Call Duration in Call Log
    Call History During Call
    Capture with Volume Keys
    Close on hangup
    Compose to Email
    Date As Carrier String
    Delete From Notification
    Disable LED Notification for Email
    Disable Low Battery Warning Sound 20 Percent
    Enable Add/Delete Pages
    Enable Hidden Clock
    Enable Landscape PDF Viewer
    Fullscreen Mode Browser
    Improved Photo Naming PRE
    Match State to Area Code
    Mimic Outlook Formatting on Email Replies
    No Alert During Call
    No Missed Call Callback
    Power Button to End Calls
    Read/Delete All Email
    Reset to First Page
    Ringer Switch Icon
    Show App Details
    Show Download Count
    Smiley Faces in Symbol Box
    SMS Icon for Mobile Tagged Numbers Only
    Sound Toggle - Grey
    Swap Reply2All for Move
    Swipe History - Auto Confirm
    Swipe to Delete
    Timestamps - Clean
    Unhide Dev Mode Icon
    Unthrottle download manager
    Video Camera Flashlight

Thanks,

Evan
    Email-Priority-Discard-Buttons has been updated to fix the errors.
    Removing the phone patches only worked for me. I removed the ones that had worked correctly, then the match state to area code and it was removed. Did Luna restart and loaded the patches back doing the match state to area code first, then the others.
    Thanks

Thanks. This worked for me too. The only other phone patch I had installed was the recurrent notification patch.

Don't know what I would do without this forum - get an iPhone iGuess

Tony
    metus delenda est

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom." -- Jumpmaster, Ft. Benning, 1965
    I've been waiting for this app quite long. Is there any update yet?
    Thanks